Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi KZP 18 Dec 2015 00:11 #703454

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104

davido wrote: Ive also been busy with a hydraulic conversion,though its not together yet. Im using matching master and slave from a ZX9R.Hoping itll work out ok.
(Kawaholic was having problems with his (and his brakes) because the master and slave werent matched.Have a look at his Phoenix fighter thread,lots of info there )
Im interested to see how your works out.

My Z1R has both brake and clutch hydraulics from a Zx1100 (Australia = ZZR1100) although the brakes are R1, the clutch slave is from a ZX900R (Aus = GPZ900R 1985) with a homemade plate adapted to the sidecover (without modifications) works bloody great. So I can't see why you're setup would not work.
The thread is very interesting as I am also putting a GPZ1100 1981 together with different combinations (parts from other bikes).
I am interested to hear how the drive sprocket is locked onto the shaft, you can't use a tab washer like the earlier Z's because it has a different shaft / sprocket bolt setup. My slightly offset sprocket doesn't allow me to use the original locking setup. Any suggestions?? (I believe these are prone to loosening).
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bozo. Reason: add data

Kiwi KZP 18 Dec 2015 00:47 #703455

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46
What a beaut!!! :woohoo:

larriken wrote:

This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!

Kiwi KZP 19 Dec 2015 20:43 #703717

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
As it turns out I am a knob! The hydraulic clutch unit I bought fits Z900 and Z1000 A1/A2...ooops! I
was scratching my head abit as nothing would line up or fit correctly so I whipped the sprocket cover off my MkII and hey presto fits the MkII sweet. I have sussed out how to get it to fit the KZP but it will mean a bit of farting around to get it sorted and I am leaning towards keeping the parts for this conversion and using them when I finally get to the MkII. Not sure yet. Will keep you posted. At least I finished polishing the sprocket cover in anticipation.

Attachments:

Kiwi KZP 19 Dec 2015 20:52 #703718

• larriken
  • User
Had a few issues with it running a bit rough so I whipped the carbs back off and checked all the jets and settings again. Had sucked through a chunk of crap into the carb when I was running it up. In my excitement I fired it up without a fuel filter in the line....my bad. Have one in there now though. Funny thing was a mate of mine said that RS carbs can be prone to bunging up the pilot if you don't have a nice clean tank. He was right!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed_in_Miami

Kiwi KZP 20 Dec 2015 16:04 #703792

• larriken
  • User
Ooops! Also learnt another valuable lesson about flatside carbs today. Don't go turning the throttle when it's not running! Didn't twig that every time I was twisting the throttle whilst adjusting the cables I was squirting gas straight down the throat. Had me buggered trying to figure out why the bike wouldn't start lol. Luckily a mate of mine that is an old racer pointed out that the Mikuni has a jet that squirts gas in when you whack the throttle wide open. Learn something new everyday.

Kiwi KZP 21 Dec 2015 03:41 #703824

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
seat turned out very nice!
good job on that.
i dare ya to put a chrome trailer hitch ball on that stud behind your seat :woohoo: :laugh: :P !!!

i think this might be my all time fave cop kz.at least top three :lol:

i like the polished details,they accent the flat paint sooo nicely.

keep us posted,
leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Kiwi KZP 21 Dec 2015 08:00 #703859

• larriken
  • User

Bozo wrote:

davido wrote: Ive also been busy with a hydraulic conversion,though its not together yet. Im using matching master and slave from a ZX9R.Hoping itll work out ok.
(Kawaholic was having problems with his (and his brakes) because the master and slave werent matched.Have a look at his Phoenix fighter thread,lots of info there )
Im interested to see how your works out.

My Z1R has both brake and clutch hydraulics from a Zx1100 (Australia = ZZR1100) although the brakes are R1, the clutch slave is from a ZX900R (Aus = GPZ900R 1985) with a homemade plate adapted to the sidecover (without modifications) works bloody great. So I can't see why you're setup would not work.
The thread is very interesting as I am also putting a GPZ1100 1981 together with different combinations (parts from other bikes).
I am interested to hear how the drive sprocket is locked onto the shaft, you can't use a tab washer like the earlier Z's because it has a different shaft / sprocket bolt setup. My slightly offset sprocket doesn't allow me to use the original locking setup. Any suggestions?? (I believe these are prone to loosening).

None other than locktite sorry mate but that is a sweet looking Z1R you have there. Do you have any photos on the forum of it?

Kiwi KZP 21 Dec 2015 08:02 #703860

• larriken
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: seat turned out very nice!
good job on that.
i dare ya to put a chrome trailer hitch ball on that stud behind your seat :woohoo: :laugh: :P !!!

i think this might be my all time fave cop kz.at least top three :lol:

i like the polished details,they accent the flat paint sooo nicely.

keep us posted,
leon

One trailer hitch coming up! :laugh: Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated as I know there have been a lot of very cool KZP's come through this pages! Great thing is that here in New Zealand it is a real one off. There are probably only half a dozen KZP's in the country so it's a bit of novelty even without the changes.

Kiwi KZP 03 Jan 2016 21:01 #705502

• larriken
  • User
Packed a paddy with having to wait for new push pull cables for the Mikuni carbs to arrive so had to make some adjustments to get things rolling again using the original KZP cables, Yes, I know, looks a bit dodgy but hey it works!

Had to lengthen the KZP cables so it was out with the solder and flux to make new cables!

I haven't done this too often so I had to have a couple of fails. This is what it looks like when you get it wrong.....

....and when it goes right. Solder nicely sucked up through the core, won't be coming off anytime soon.

Wahooo it runs and the throttle works sweet. You can't hear it in this photo but it is running, honest, and it sounds wicked!

Last edit: by larriken.

Kiwi KZP 04 Jan 2016 00:31 #705503

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104
Larriken, there are a few photos under the Z1R photo group, I have written about its modifications previously.

I can't get over the quality of bikes in this forum, and love your bike, going well. To be honest you're giving me incentive to keep going with my new project GPZ1100. I'll post photos soon.
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)

Kiwi KZP 04 Jan 2016 06:58 #705513

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
I would certainly like to know how to repair cable ends. what is your method?
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Kiwi KZP 04 Jan 2016 08:21 #705525

• larriken
  • User

Bozo wrote: Larriken, there are a few photos under the Z1R photo group, I have written about its modifications previously.

I can't get over the quality of bikes in this forum, and love your bike, going well. To be honest you're giving me incentive to keep going with my new project GPZ1100. I'll post photos soon.

Sweet, will go and take a look. What year GPZ is your project? I have an big pile of shit A2 that I have just started fiddling with. Bought it originally for the engine but the longer it sat in the shed the more I liked it so it's on the next project list.