TOPIC:

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 27 Apr 2015 19:05 #669818

• Randombeat
  • Randombeat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23
Thanks guys... Really appreciate it.

Loud, do u happen to remember how ur freind suspended the bike?
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 27 Apr 2015 21:48 #669833

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
He and two other guys just flipped it upside down on the handle bars on a piece of carpeting (in the garage, not the living room :) ). Just like kids do with bicycles.

No tank, of course and the carbs were drained along with the oil. The front brake was removed entirely (and in tact). The rear was drum so it wasn't an issue.

He said he couldn't imagine doing it any other way. He said the primary chain would have flopped out of position if it was on its side, which would make for some fumbling around, and he wouldn't want to spend that much time laying under the bike to scrape gaskets etc., so laying on its side or tipping it upward were not feasible.

The bike was in rough shape so they weren't afraid of scuffing the seat etc.

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 28 Apr 2015 08:22 #669859

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
If you do it that way, don't forget to remove the battery. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 28 Apr 2015 09:16 #669866

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

650ed wrote: If you do it that way, don't forget to remove the battery. Ed

D'oh. Good point.

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 30 Apr 2015 22:38 #670217

• Jonny
  • User
  • woot!
  • Thank you received: 22
Hey Man,

I am a worrier like you, and actually changing my starter clutch somehow turned into a complete rebuild, frame powder-coating, engine overhaul etc..., so perhaps my story isn't entirely the correct advice, but as to spending a fortune on tools, as people said here already, you can get away with alot.

Using the brakes, or a well padded chunk of 2x4 inserted through the wheel, and wedged against the swingarm does wonders. A good breaker bar is cheaper than a good impact, and in a pinch, a length of pipe over the end of a regular ratchet does the job, and is very cheap. As far as bearing drivers and the like, ABS and PVC pipe are great for the task as they can be beaten on pretty well, and still not mark up or dent bearing surfaces. A quick trip to the hardware store/plumbing dept with your bearing, or the measurements and a cheap digital set of calipers should produce SOMETHING that will work quick enough. If it is a hair big, sand it down, easy enough.

Never though of turning a whole bike upside down like that to do a started clutch, but it sure would make it a pile easier! Might even be able to get away with NOT removing the exhaust system. All that being said, I did flip my motor upside down to do mine, Made it far easier, but it wouldn't have been too hard elseways. Honestly, I think if I had to do it again, I would at least attempt doing it with the motor in the frame etc.... The directions did make it seem like it would be a good deal more difficult than it ended up being.

Cheers, and good luck!

Jon
'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Randombeat

Last edit: by Jonny.
  • Page: