TOPIC:

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 18 Apr 2015 20:32 #668615

• Randombeat
  • Randombeat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23
Soooo...

Bought a project off craigslist, a 198 kz750h1. Its all but finished, but to finish it, I have to replace the starter clutch....

I spent 1200 on the bike, probably overpaid, but its been completely redone, new tires, chain, paint, its visually the perfect bike to me, I love it....

But everytime I think I'm getting somewhere, I find more parts, or tools, that I'm gonna have to buy to get this clutch done..

I didn't expect it to be easy. I understand its a vintage bike, and its not cheap and always gonna need something.. But geeeeez....

I've got the new clutch assembly, new gear, new gaskets, flywheel puller, new washers, new exhaust, next exhaust gaskets, new split collars ect ect ect. Jets, pods, so on...

Now I'm thinkingmi have to get a rotor tool that doesn't exist, an impact wrench, a gear puller/pusher I can't find.... And that's all I've figured out since getting the factory service manual....

Has anyone done a starter clutch on a 750? I thought it was pretty much a swap, but the manual seems like its a lot more then what I've read on here and seen in videos....

I'm not giving up, I'll get it done, but I'm debating on just taking all this stuff to the dealer or a local tech and paying another 500$ in labor.. I want to learn, I truly do, but I'm afraid I'm gonna tear into this bike and not have the tools or skill to complete this job, especially after gettingnthe FSM..

I guess maybe I just needed to vent, and maybe I just need some encouragement...

I was just really hoping to ride this bike this season, and it feels like every time I make progress, I find something else I need, that's obsolete....

God bless us vintage bike addicts... This is real work...
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 18 Apr 2015 20:51 #668617

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
STOP!

You need to buy and read the manual BEFORE messing up the engine. You mention " flywheel puller, new washers, new exhaust, next exhaust gaskets, new split collars, etc." and " I'm thinking i have to get a rotor tool that doesn't exist, an impact wrench, a gear puller/pusher I can't find..."

None of that stuff has anything whatsoever to do with replacing the starter clutch in your bike, so what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 18 Apr 2015 21:33 #668623

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The link below has a pdf manual, but it was somewhat poorly photocopied.
I would get the factory service manual --- there are quite a few listed on eebbaayy.
Be sure to reference the flow charts as they show the correct disassembly order.
A Clymer or Haynes manual might also be handy, since they sometimes have more detailed step by step instructions for some procedures --- you have to watch out for errors, though. The FSM probably assumes a certain amount of expertise or training.

mbsween.bike-night KZ750L3 page Scroll down & click "The Bible" link.
Note: some of the wiring diagrams are mislabeled in the links.
The 1981 Ltd is an H2, the 82 is an H3, & the 83 is an H4. .... search tags mbsween KZ750L3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randombeat

Last edit: by martin_csr.

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 19 Apr 2015 08:25 #668664

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...

650ed wrote: STOP!

You need to buy and read the manual BEFORE messing up the engine. You mention " flywheel puller, new washers, new exhaust, next exhaust gaskets, new split collars, etc." and " I'm thinking i have to get a rotor tool that doesn't exist, an impact wrench, a gear puller/pusher I can't find..."

None of that stuff has anything whatsoever to do with replacing the starter clutch in your bike, so what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Ed

I'm sorry ed. My post probably wasn't clear, I was pretty frustrated last night and was venting. I do have the FSM, that's actually what has me worried, because in reading it, it says I need a special alternator rotor tool 57001-308 and a special gear puller/pusher tool 57001-319. Both of these tools are obsolete...

As far as everything else I mentioned, I was told I would need the flywheel puller, or could use rthe rear axle, in a starter clutch thread. So I bought the 18x1.5 flywheel puller tool. I was told I would need to replace the clutch thrust washers, so I bought those (I also bought new starter clutch spacers), I was told I was going to have to remove the exhaust to do the job, so I bought a used v &h 4 to 1, and the appropriate exhaust gaskets and split keepers to install said exhaust.. The bike already had pods, but had yet to be jetted for them, so I bought 70/140 jets..

I've been reading that I'll need an impact wrench to get the clutch bolt off, and possibly the clutch basket tool...

However my mail worry is the special tools. 57001-308 is designed to hold the alternator rotor, preventing the secondary shaft from spinning while you break the bolt free, and gear puller pusher 57001-319, is used to remove/replace the secondary shaft gear from the shaft.

Will I even have to do that? The FSM says I will, but maybe its instructions are for replacing all the parts, and I'm just trying to replace the one way starter clutch assembly and gear?

Alsoci just now noticed in the instructions it says I'll need a bearing driver tool 57001-297 to reinstall.

Its the FSM that has me confused...
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 19 Apr 2015 08:33 #668668

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
You can use the rear brake to keep the motor from moving and removing the nuts and anything else.
Steve

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 19 Apr 2015 09:10 #668671

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...

swest wrote: You can use the rear brake to keep the motor from moving and removing the nuts and anything else.
Steve

Just hold the rear brake down while trying to loosen the bolts?

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 19 Apr 2015 09:28 #668673

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
If anyone has a copy of the 750 SVC manual, its pages 78-80 that I'm reading. It actually gives several different sets of instruction on the starter clutch.

It this manual:

Attachment 14294605787661552097182.jpg not found

And these pages:

Attachment 1429460163287-846754976.jpg not found

Here's the rotor tool:

Attachment 14294602138281345217626.jpg not found

Here's the gear puller/pusher tool:

Attachment 1429460300453-1978193864.jpg not found

Here's the bearing driver tool:

Attachment 1429460355124-2116161074.jpg not found

I know you guys have done this job and will be able to help me understand which of these I need, and which I can make substitutions for..
Attachments:

Last edit: by Randombeat.

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 19 Apr 2015 11:20 #668692

• Mellvis
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I wouldn't fret so much. Have you done a search on here to see what other's have done while doing the job? Are you doing the starter clutch, or the drive clutch, I'm a little unclear.

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 19 Apr 2015 11:50 #668698

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
Starter clutch.

I've read every thread on it, on this and other boards.

Bought a huge list of stuff, since I'm already gonna have to get into the motor, might as well replace all the gaskets and o rings etc. Bought the following items:

New starter clutch and starter clutch gear
Thrust washers /spacers
Oil pan gasket
Oil galley prints
All o rings associated with oil pan/filter
Oil filter
Needle race bearing for starter clutch
Box of used parts that included everything on the secondary shaft, starter clutch, clutch, gears, and some more stuff (at the time I didn't know if I could find a new starter clutch assembly or not so I bought a parts lot off eBay with a used starter clutch to rebuild, it came with a lot of other stuff that I may or may not use, figure I'll use the best condition stuff from my bike or the parts lot)
Used Vance Hines 4 into 1 exhaust
Exhaust gaskets
Exhaust split keepers
Centersytand stop
Flywheel puller tool
Factory service manual
Clutch cover gasket

I'm a worrier, if you couldn't tell, and I don't want to get started on the job and find I need something else, since most parts seem to take a couple weeks at best to receive.

Now I'm at the point where I think all I need is a couple more tools, some correct oil, and the balls to start the repair...

I found a local mechanic who's agreed to let me assist him in the repair for 40$ per hour, which I think I'd more then fair, but I'm unsure if he has all the tools listed in the service manual either. He said he normally doesn't do "internal repairs" but would make an exception if I got all the parts and tools.

Most of the threads / videos I've read or watched !make it seem pretty straight forward, but the service manual seems to list off a lot of steps that I've not seen in the threads, and I'm wondering if I'm over thinking it severely also. I'm pretty sure the manual is breaking it down like your replacing the entire secondary shaft and all its components, I just want to do the starter clutch and starter clutch gear.

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 19 Apr 2015 12:00 #668703

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611

Randombeat wrote:

swest wrote: You can use the rear brake to keep the motor from moving and removing the nuts and anything else.
Steve

Just hold the rear brake down while trying to loosen the bolts?

Yes.
Steve

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 27 Apr 2015 13:35 #669787

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Didn't see this till just now .... I gotta say I'm as worried about this as you and I feel your pain ...... things are a little different between your 750 and my 650 but some is the same.

I agree with Steve on holding things with the brake while getting the clutch hub nut off and the secondary shaft nut.... I used a clutch holder tool and a electric impact for the clutch housing nut and it came off so quick and easy I kicked myself for spending the money there and think I could a done it with holding the brake and using a breaker bar on the clutch nut? More than a few said this was a major pain since it so tight but I'd try it without first !

On the secondary shaft nut mine uses a cir clip and not the nut like yours but on that I'm thinking you could probaly hold the brake for it too.

The gear puller I'm worried about too and am thinking on that we might have to try some kind of universal tool (maybe rent or from auto Zone) or ?? From the way the manual looks I think we need it ?

The bearing driver I don't think we'll need without replacing the bearing (mine has a cir clip there that is hooked to the oil pump ??) but am not sure yet till I see it ....... the flywheel puller tool you didn't need........ one thing is a clutch housing nut I need to pick up along with the spring lock washer I think its called that goes under it .... your not suppose to re use that, I see you have the thrust washers your suppose to replace.

Wish I could be of more help .... I'm putting this off for a while and am probably worrying too much about it too..... when I get going on it I'll try to help with anything I find out......when I did the rebuild I swear I took a couple years off my life worrying about that too till I have the first few miles on it :blush:
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Last edit: by KZB2 650.

worried... will it ever run? I can't be the 1st pe 27 Apr 2015 14:46 #669791

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
My buddy did it by flipping the bike upside down.
Drain the oil. Remove the brakes.

When upside down, it's much easier to work on. Just pull up a nice stool and take your time.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: