• Page:

TOPIC:

1981 GPZ 550 - It's something... 28 Apr 2015 12:06 #669882

• Xl ED
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Different member, different GPZ.
I don't live to ride, I ride to live.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 GPZ 550 - It's something... 29 Apr 2015 04:23 #669944

• chirpy999
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Ok a bit of confusion over that pic of the bike with the barrells off. Keep us posted of progress :laugh:

Re:1981 GPZ 550 - It's something... 30 Jun 2015 08:38 #678834

• Grobbies
  • Grobbies's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just to give some feedback regarding my progress with the GPZ. Electrics all finished up (thank goodness for wiring diagrams) , new speedometer wired up, slight hiccup with the rear master cylinder and front calipers, new exhaust header and slip-on on the way, tank repsrayed/de-rusted and recoated.
I believe in percussive maintenance.
Attachments:

Re:1981 GPZ 550 - It's something... 30 Jun 2015 15:13 #678862

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Grobbies, nice work! That bike is looking really sharp and clean with the work that you've done!
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grobbies

Last edit: by Jbosh. Reason: Autocorrect got his name wrong...

Re:1981 GPZ 550 - It's something... 08 Jul 2015 08:56 #680022

• Grobbies
  • Grobbies's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Jbosh!

Fitted the new 4-into-1 with aftermarket can. Engine turns without any issues and all plugs have spark. Fuel tap is also good and fuel flows correctly. Couldn't for the life of me get the engine to start, so decided to drain the float bowls. It became apparent that carbs 1, 2 and 3 are not getting any fuel since no fuel drained out. Hence I am assuming the float valve needles are sticking. Will give the carb bowls a little tap tomorrow and see if that will help, if not I am pulling the carbs off...again. Since the float valve needles were replaced and the carbs sat for about 3 months that is the only thing that comes to mind. Will have to check the float level anyway, but untill I can get fuel in the bowl, that is not going to happen.
I believe in percussive maintenance.
Attachments:

Re:1981 GPZ 550 - It's something... 08 Jul 2015 11:25 #680042

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Shut the fuel selector off and pull the fuel line off it.
Squirt carb cleaner right into the fuel lines to see if the needle and seat will unstick.
If not.... you get to drop the bowls or pull the carbs off regardless of what you say you will not do... LOL.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grobbies

1981 GPZ 550 - It's something... 26 Jan 2016 04:24 #708175

• carwash
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks great. What tires are those? Standard size, or did you go larger?

Grobbies wrote: So, in December last year I purchased a shoddy looking '81 GPZ550. I originally thought I was in over my head since I have only worked with cars mostly in the past, but felt like now was the time to maybe go from four wheels to two.

I basically started stripping at the start of Jan 2015. It took me about a month to get everything labeled, photographed, and stored correctly on a shelf that was divided into all the various sub-systems of the bike. This really helped I must add, and as you clean, refurbish and assemble it really gives you a sense of accomplishment as the parts on your shelves get less and less.

As the only garage I could rent did not have an electricity supply, I became very well acquainted with my cordless drill, as well as an assortment of brushes, cloths, polishes, and rattlecan paint to help me get parts cleaned and looking as close to new again (IMO). I was also lucky enough to call in a few favours for getting parts bead blasted and primed.

Attachment 20150405_124521a.jpg not found

To date I have completed the following (3 months of two hours of work, everyday after work):

1. Frame blasted, cadmium plated, primed, painted and clear coated.
2. Motor cleaned, paint stripped, repainted. (Next time I would definitely strip the motor completely and repaint separately.
3. Rims cleaned, sanded, painted and polished.
4. New head light and indicators and brackets.
5. Brakes have been refurbished and will be fitted (hopefully) this afternoon.
6. And various other tiny bits and pieces that took way too long to clean and procure (even cleaned all nuts and bolts by hand...never again)
7. And more.....

Not completely sure yet where I am going with this GPZ, but it definitely keeps my afternoons interesting.

Give it another 3 months, and I will be sure to upload a hopefully completed bike.

1980 KZ550A
1980 CB750F

• Page: