Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 26 Oct 2017 16:11 #773790

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • I_Tig_in_piece's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
man getting pics on here is tougher now a days than it was a year ago?
best parking at work. inside the office.

Tell me if you see the problem..lol

this foam i have is awesome for seat padding. original seat from day one, just added the little back riser to it.

Another shot of "what's wrong here?" oh and the front brakes work better than i anticipated.

Got about 25 miles on her now. Gotta do an oil change and check/adjust the valves, clutch cable, drive chain comp test and check the sync of the carbs again then a plug chop. On the way to work this morn, I was getting some half throttle hesi underload, getting too much fuel there also felt like an intermittent misfire but didn't hear any popping or backfires from the carbs or exhaust. So as i got to the shop i pulled out my laser thermometer to get some temp readings, the right bank seemed to be running too cold (almost like it wasn't firing) so gotta look into that. But other than that, she ran and felt great! I was expecting to do an indo when applying the front brakes but they engaged nicely with a light squeeze. Can even hear the cross drills buzz pass the pads, so cool! hahaha. A more violent squeeze and yeah, it'll squat the front! had to test it a little.
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 28 Oct 2017 13:55 #773911

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
im impressed by your tenacity. how many times have you rebuilt that motor? Brake setup looks killer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: I_Tig_in_piece

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 29 Oct 2017 11:01 #773946

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
im impressed by your tenacity. how many times have you rebuilt that motor? Brake setup looks killer!
Thanks vic, appreciate it. I think this would be the 3rd (hopefully the saying will stick on this round) I wouldn't be the first to say that a few times i thought of giving up and starting on a new bike, but i didn't wanna be another one of them individuals that comes on a forum, starts a thread about their build and then disappears without any update to their own trial and errors that someone else might find useful had the thread been finished. It's like waiting for the next season of you fav tv series? sorta..lol
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 02 Jan 2018 23:38 #776843

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
Happy Holidays forum!! So just an fyi..don't go to Disney Land on NYE, unless you like pretending you're in a herd of penguins:P Any ways..Back in November, I opted to get a Jet kit from sigma6. Told them what I had bike wise and all the mods (pods and exhaust) The kit is complete with detailed instructions with pics and labeled diagram for the carbs(Image from FSM i'm sure) We I had the kit for weeks before getting some free time and installing it. Pretty straight forward, of course they say can be done while carbs are installed but fuck that! getting old and don't like struggling in small areas so onto a bench. Took me a couple hours to do cause I insisted to watch all the Star Trek Discovery I saved during....so yeah, that's my excuse! :p Prior to rejetting, I double checked the valve clearances (sucks you have to wait till the motors cold) only one exhaust valve was off by roughly the next feeler gauge size up. Ive already done 2 oil changes and each one had less "glitter" Funny thing Ive noticed before this engine tear down was, looking at the oil through the side glass and can see it was dark after riding 30+ miles. With this motor, even after first start up, got it a little warm before changing it. Aside from assembly lube and break-in sediment, the oil was gold. Put about 350 before the 2nd change, looked inside the sight, Gold. Clocked another 400 but haven't dumped it yet but it still looks gold through the glass, so i'm stoked that the blowby is gone. hahahaha! Comp on left cylinder came to 138 and 131 on the right. I figured thats great since I honed the sleeves myself! lol. Bike runs a lot better down low now, doesn't break up one bit. Still havent took it higher in the RPMs yet to feel it. Was gonna do that today but my key has gone missing!?! 2 years of it either being on top of my welder or in the ignition, it's not in/on either! Dammit! So gotta check pockets before I do laundry.
Got new clip ones installed here. Not as bulky as the other set.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 03 Jan 2018 05:51 #776845

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46
Looking real good. Really nice!
This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 18 Jan 2018 07:14 #777388

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
it has turned out very nice!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 20 Jun 2018 02:08 #785492

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
Hi forum!! Been awhile. Just thought I'd stop by and let everyone know that I wasn't dead and I'm still ride my KZ. Im glad that I havent had any major problems that couldn't be remedied in a matter of moments on the same day. Procrastination has taken over cause till this day I haven't modified my peg to even use the kick start? doh!! Just did a recent valve adjustment and I'm glad I machined some reliefs to get a feeler gauge in nicer. Was a it help on the exhaust side. Still have the Anti-grav 4cell in as well. I need to come up with a helmet hook or something that's low key, handles won't work cause of the bar end mirrors. Next sorta upgrade is gonna be maybe a wider rear tire. Got a RR 110/80 on now, and would like to get a harder comp on maybe a 120/70? I don't know, gonna have to sit (on the toilet) and do some searching some day :)

ed

My first 440 "cafè'ish" build. 24 Sep 2018 05:06 #791342

• vwrabbit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Looks great!
1982 KZ440 former LTD
1975 CB125S
2006 VT600 VLX