Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 31 Mar 2015 08:05 #665914

• Mean Green Z28
  • Mean Green Z28's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
  • Thank you received: 5
Reasoning for the name is 'cos it's my 3rd project/build. #1 was a '94 Camaro drag car and #2 was a '98 TransAm street car. Well, on with the bike!

Relatively now to the KZ scene so it's a very steep learning experience ... Have always wanted a Cafe bike; and it was the goal when I bought this bike), but since this is already most of the way converted to a bobber, I'll continue ... maybe down the road, I'll try to gather the front/rear ends from a sport bike and do the Cafe conversion.

Bought the bike from a guy off of Craigslist. He got it from a guy who owed him money and then it sat around and he finally sold it to me to get his money out of it. I got a decent deal but also a bucket of parts (some pretty expensive) that will drive me crazy in the subsequent weeks. BTW, if anyone's looking for some Police front/rear fenders and side panels, I may not be using them and you can have it for just shipping fees.

The bike when I first picked her up ... has aftermarket Harley spec top clamp and handlebar/controls with Dakota Digital Cluster, shorter/adjustable rear shocks, extra 4-1 exhaust, stock KZ LTD tank, factory fenders/side panels and a totally frankenstein'd wiring harness that has everything stripped out but the front/rear lights and essential wires to run. (in box). The running boards had been cut off, as well as everything behind rider seat and any and all brackets for coils/etc.

Used the trailer as a work bench for now until I can get some space made in the garage... This allows me to move it if I want and also it's at a workable height. Had to buy a new automotive Ignition switch 'cos the key wasn't there. Also no hand control switches, so everything's relocated to under the rider seat to be hidden.

Had to splice in some new wires to the Generator/neutral switch/oil pressure 'cos they were so brittle and just crumbled in my hand. Bled the front brakes and got them working. Need to do the foot rests and controls figured out next. However, the main goal is to get the harness cleaned up and the bike started, then I'll get to all the framework/mounting tabs and painting it all.

draped the harness on the bike and with a new ignition switch, I can now power up the accessories and even crank the engine over. Has good compression. Now to figure out of all the other wiring like the coils/etc. are good and try to mount the battery/electronics in a custom box under the seat. Why the pic came out upside down, I have no clue

Here's the side mirrors that came with the kit, haha I like them
2010 Camaro 2SS
1983 Kawi KZ1000P ... bag of bolts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mean Green Z28.

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 31 Mar 2015 18:22 #665986

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
Not much love here but I'll update ... stripped the harness that was taped together and figured out some weird wiring ... all fixed and we got spark now! Now to mount the coils and run new wires. Only issue is I'm missing one of OEM wires so now missing the screw in nut on the coil side so can't complete one wire run ... fml

2010 Camaro 2SS
Attachments:

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 31 Mar 2015 18:26 #665989

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23
im tuned in man... just bought a bratted kz750 with issues off craigs myself...

i bought a lot off of ebay that has some spare wires in it. PM me your address and ill send you one...

chris
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 31 Mar 2015 18:57 #665994

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
Wow thanks! Ummm how do I PM? There's no option for me.
2010 Camaro 2SS

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 31 Mar 2015 19:28 #665997

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23
click my user name, to the left of my post, and then about halfway down the page you will see "send a msg" on the left side under my info...

ill send you a msg, then you can just reply....
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 01 Apr 2015 06:08 #666025

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
don't let the lack of leg humping run you off. :laugh:
lotsa folks around here are a lil tired of seeing these old bikes chopped and built into unfinished cafe brat rats.
so you are going to have to show your skills and perseverance to build a cool bike before you garner much of a following.
not tryin to be a d!(k just trying to lend a lil insight :evil:
i think anybody tryin to do there own thing with there own hands is cool.
and,
if they are doing it to a kz so much the better.
but i figure i have the skills to turn the most hacked up mess back into an original bike if i want to so it doesn't get me to ruffled up to look at a molested bike as long as someone is trying.

keep us posted as you go.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 01 Apr 2015 06:36 #666028

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
^ Thanks for the confidence boost!

Made a makeshift shelf out of a piece of wood and bolted the ignitor and regulator to it and placed battery on it. Then completely stripped the harness of all tape and zip ties as I got it and traced and made sure each wire went exactly where it needed to go. If you see the printout of the schematic on the right, I traced only the wires now present, everything else it gone! Finally he spark and we may be ready to start as soon as I get the plug wires setup. Bought a 8 foot length of plug wire and some NGK resistance caps ... now to mount the coils in their final resting place and run the wires.

2010 Camaro 2SS
Attachments:

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 02 Apr 2015 17:14 #666276

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
Well I go a stock KZ rear brake torque shaft which swaps in place of the KZP shaft that has no splined end, and the standard pedal now works. Also got a set of stock KZ foot pegs with the bracket; got to weld some bungs in and mount them.

Found the carbs to be in need of some serious cleaning, so I'll take them down to the guy at the local salvage yard/workshop to be rebuilt along with the front brake calipers that get stuck clamped when the brakes are applied; relieving pressure didn't do the trick.

Thought it'd be a quick/cheap build but it's turning out to be a tiny little money pit .. haha

2010 Camaro 2SS
Attachments:

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 03 Apr 2015 19:31 #666467

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
got a can of carb cleaner and did the cleaning myself. it was only the bowl and jet that needed cleaning. Next, brakes.
2010 Camaro 2SS

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 07 Apr 2015 08:14 #666947

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
So I've been thinking of how to set up the turn signals, and since I have nothing to start with, can do my own thing. So to reduce the amount of wiring and also simplifying things, I came up with this. I can delete the Hazard lamps if it proves to be a bitch to incorporate a dpdt switch due to space (trying to make it really small). Ofcourse I forgot the ignition switch, haha
Gonna have to go with a electronic flasher for this instead due to the two different loads depending on mode.
Lol. Gonna repost a different schematic after I fix some it issues and incorporate horn.
2010 Camaro 2SS

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 07 Apr 2015 08:25 #666949

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
Updated

2010 Camaro 2SS
Attachments:

Re:1983 KZ1000P bobber build ... MUTT #3 14 Apr 2015 12:33 #667922

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
Well I was away for a week and now I'm back ... so got it started with some spray, put some new fuel in and got her running on gas. Needs a bit of adjustment...

KZ1000P Startup:

2010 Camaro 2SS