Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:My second Kz440 1981 23 May 2015 20:54 #673411

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
That's good. I didn't see any bent valves but I had to ask. Did you find any damage besides the oil build up?
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:My second Kz440 1981 24 May 2015 01:23 #673435

• dom2570
  • dom2570's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
It is 3am so I'm calling it a night. I didn't find anything damaged. I was terrified I was going to find a broken rod or something.

I stopped by wallie world on my way home from work at got some more supplies.

I'm letting the exhaust vales soak in cleaner over night, but everything else seems to be coming along really good.

Now, who has some tips and tricks for removing these old gaskets!
Whip it like a mule!
Attachments:

Re:My second Kz440 1981 24 May 2015 02:25 #673438

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

dom2570 wrote: It is 3am so I'm calling it a night. I didn't find anything damaged. I was terrified I was going to find a broken rod or something.

I'm letting the exhaust vales soak in cleaner over night, but everything else seems to be coming along really good.

Dry the combustion chamber out really well and sit the head on it's exhaust ports so you can pour some mineral spirits in the intake port.... then watch the intake valves for any seepage... flip it over so it is standing up on the intake ports and do the same thing with the exhaust ports to see if there is any seepage with the exhaust valves.
Much of any at all and you have either bad valves, valve seats or bent valves.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

Last edit: by missionkz.

Re:My second Kz440 1981 24 May 2015 02:28 #673440

• dom2570
  • User

missionkz wrote:

dom2570 wrote: It is 3am so I'm calling it a night. I didn't find anything damaged. I was terrified I was going to find a broken rod or something.

Dry the combustion chamber out really well and sit the head on it's exhaust ports so you can pour some mineral spirits in the intake port.... then watch the intake valves for any seepage... flip it over so it is standing up on the intake ports and do the same thing with the exhaust ports to see if there is any seepage with the exhaust valves.
Much of any at all and you have either bad valves, valve seats or bent valves.

I had some seepage at the start of the whole process, but after after cleaning everything up, both exhaust and intake are not seeping at all.

In that last picture, the exhaust ports are actually filled. I am hoping that letting it sit over night will help remove some of the carbon build up.
Whip it like a mule!

Last edit: by dom2570.

Re:My second Kz440 1981 24 May 2015 07:06 #673464

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
While you're in there, change the valve guide seals, Viton ones. That way you can check the valve guides and valves. You also need rings and a course cross hatch hone. You don't want to be getting on it, foul a plug, hear a loud POP, loose power and have to do it all again.
Steve

Re:Re:My second Kz440 1981 24 May 2015 08:24 #673474

• dom2570
  • User

swest wrote: While you're in there, change the valve guide seals, Viton ones. That way you can check the valve guides and valves. You also need rings and a course cross hatch hone. You don't want to be getting on it, foul a plug, hear a loud POP, loose power and have to do it all again.
Steve

I think my lost of power and loud pop was probably a combination of things, but my exhaust probably was a large factor. I removed the pipes several times and never replaced the gaskets.
Whip it like a mule!

Re:Re:My second Kz440 1981 24 May 2015 08:29 #673476

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
That wouldn't explain the oil burning. A reduction in back pressure could have aggravated it though.
Steve

Re:Re:My second Kz440 1981 25 May 2015 12:47 #673660

• dom2570
  • User

swest wrote: That wouldn't explain the oil burning. A reduction in back pressure could have aggravated it though.
Steve

I know it probably sounds a little strange but I have to get the bike back together asap. I am supposed to be moving at the end of the month :unsure:

Opening him up was a combination of curiosity and confidence booster. My plan is to get him all back together, move then tear back into him once I have a new place set up. As of now I do not have the tools or knowledge to correctly remove the valves or hone the cylinders. Once I am situated at my new place I want to start over from square one. I am working on building up confidence on this little guy before I move on to Kalie, my prized 750, so I really don't mind ripping this 440 engine apart a few times. I am also working on building up my tool chest, a honeing tool and valve spring removal tool are the top things on my shopping list right now.

Thanks for all the help!
Whip it like a mule!

Re:Re:My second Kz440 1981 25 May 2015 14:28 #673680

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Do you have gaskets or you reuseing them?
Steve

Re:My second Kz440 1981 25 May 2015 17:14 #673705

• dom2570
  • User
I ordered a cheap set. They will be here tomorrow or Wednesday. This go around is really just a practice. The next go around I'll get a little bit more in depth, I'm just running out of time now. I have three bikes that have to move with me. I would rather move one basket case and two complete bikes instead of two basket cases.
Whip it like a mule!

Re:My second Kz440 1981 26 May 2015 09:48 #673841

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Good luck with the move! I had to do the same with mine. Now I'm tearing into it for the second time and I'm glad for the practice previously haha.
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

Re:My second Kz440 1981 26 May 2015 22:01 #673953

• dom2570
  • User
I actually found myself with some free today so I decided to get some work done!

I honed the cylinders, pulled the engine, washed the frame and started cleaning everything up.
Whip it like a mule!
Attachments: