• Page:

TOPIC:

1981 kz1000 ltd mini resto 04 Mar 2015 12:13 #663471

• Mfulweiler91
  • Mfulweiler91's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Change goes unnoticed till you look in the mirror
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, first off been a long time guest here looking at what others have done and gaining some major inspiration. Anyways I was given this ltd as a gift from my friend for all the help I have given him and it's my first bike. I have been riding for awhile but never my own bike (if that makes sense?) but now I'm excited to test my mechanical skills on this. I'm not looking to rewrite the book or reinvent the wheel, nothing too extravagant nor out of this world. For now I'm replacing parts as needed and upgrading or changing with form and function as a priority rather than performance. Get her rideable then worry about whatever else which she already runs. I rebuilt the starter put in fresh oil and filter as well as plugs but the solenoid took a dump so I have to jump the starter to start it but that's on it's way. After 20 years of sitting she runs and runs well (or at least I think so) again this is my first motorcycle so any tips on certain parts I should look at or I should be mindful of please chip in. Heres is the done list so far:
-fresh oil/filter
-NGK 8es plugs
-rebuilt starter and starter clutch
I have super bike bars on their way along with a new master cylinder assy and SS lines I'm replacing the fork seals this weekend and I'm gonna have the fork sliders, headlight bucket and triple trees powdered black along with the luggage rack and foot peg brackets. And I'm gonna paint the front and rear fender vivid black (I'm friends with the owner of a harley paint shop) that's about it for now I'll post as I go but once again you all were and still are my inspiration for doing it right so comments are welcome thank you.
I live life one day at a time, but preferably on two wheels. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 kz1000 ltd mini resto 04 Mar 2015 12:18 #663472

• Mfulweiler91
  • User
Pics
Attachments:

1981 kz1000 ltd mini resto 04 Mar 2015 12:36 #663473

• spdygon
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Welcome.....nice project.....First thing i would do is invest in a complete carb rebuilt kit ...completely go through them.

Good luck
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

1981 kz1000 ltd mini resto 10 Mar 2015 22:05 #664049

• Mfulweiler91
  • User
Small update, got the new bars in inly to find out I orders the wrong ones (way to small width wise) and I'm having clearance issues. And it turns out the bike was laid down at some point. But now at this point I'm still waiting on parts to come in to really get started.
Attachments:

1981 kz1000 ltd mini resto 19 May 2015 23:22 #672816

• Mfulweiler91
  • User
Been awhile since I updated progress apologies life's been busy. Anyways, I decided to go from replacing a parts as necessary to completely stripping the bike and starting from scratch. Took about a coupe hours to get to the bare frame, so far this where she's at right now. Will post pics tomorrow after work.

• Page: