Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 11 Aug 2015 14:15 #685431

• mazeman02
  • mazeman02's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Still have not got the bike running family issues caused me to stop the build for a bit however, I will begin this endeavour again now! So I have decided to gut and build my own wiring harness as the one I have seems to be extremely idiot engineered. Any tips on building the wiring harness or where to get regulator and rectifier or if any other years models of each will work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 13 Aug 2015 19:53 #685705

• sleepinsilvia23
  • User
Looks like great progress. Hope you get it all buttoned up soon.

I have seen this site posted before but do not have any direct experience.

www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/index.html
79' KZ750B4

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 18 Aug 2015 20:25 #686303

• TDC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

mazeman02 wrote:

Attachment IMG_20150216_1700291.jpg not found

You're not running this sprocket, right? That thing is done, you'll be sheering teeth off of it before you finish your first shakedown. :S

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 18 Aug 2015 20:31 #686305

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
That sprocket should go in the trashcan. You need to replace BOTH sprockets and the drive chain. Otherwise the new parts will wear out way prematurely. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 30 Aug 2015 17:31 #687930

• mazeman02
  • User
You really think so? Looks brand new now. Both sprockets look good. I will probably replace it just to be safe. Bike isnt on the road yet. taking my time with it. to make it right.

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 30 Aug 2015 17:51 #687937

• TDC
  • User
It's not about how shiny the sprockets are, but the shape the teeth are in. That rear sprocket is donezo, and as 650ed said, you really want to do both sprockets and the chain at the same time.

Check this image:

The 'worn' sprocket in that picture is a bit on the extreme side, but it illustrates the difference between new and worn pretty well. If you continue to use it, the teeth will eventually start to shear off and some nasty things can happen once that goes down. A friend of mine was notorious for neglecting the normal wear items on his bike (which the chain and sprockets are) and he sheared the teeth off his rear sprocket while on the freeway and the chain fell off what was left of his sprocket and locked up his rear tire. He rode the skid out to a pretty low speed before he bailed, but it was still pretty nasty.

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 30 Aug 2015 17:52 #687938

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Agree, that's sprocket should go in the recycle bin. The chain too. JT Sprockets sells kits with chains and sprockets for good prices. Check Amazon or ebay for good pricing.

Hope you are going to add some mufflers to that thing too. It's irresponsible to ride a bike with open pipes. Makes people hate all bikes. NOT cool.

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 30 Aug 2015 18:24 #687952

• TDC
  • User
As far as that goes, I'm more like do what you want. If someone is going to hate every biker because there's a guy ripping around on a loud bike, there's no helping that person anyway. I sure he hates all the little grandmas driving around in Honda Civics too, thanks to the guys with loud fart cans on them.

I'm more about making sure the machine is safe and fun to ride. Beyond that, do what makes you happy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tdogm6@yahoo.com

Last edit: by TDC.

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 31 Aug 2015 16:59 #688093

• mazeman02
  • User
Sweet good call on the sprockets. Chain is a no brainier which I always replace. And as far as it "not being cool" to ride without mufflers. I would rather be heard and then seen rather than silent and not. Plus mufflers are ugly as hell. I appreciate a loud bike because of that. And i appreciate it even more if it pisses some hippies off. lol

1979 KZ750 Twin Resurrection 31 Aug 2015 18:06 #688105

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I understand I will not change your mind at all, but keep in mind that loud pipes don't only piss off "hippies", they piss of a lot of folks (good neighbors, etc.) who otherwise like bikes. Do they prevent accidents? That hasn't been my experience. My best friend has been hit 3 times on his loud Harley. One other issue, unless your bike's engine has been modified and tuned to run at a given RPM with no mufflers it will run better with mufflers at every rpm. Some back pressure is needed at certain engine speeds. A modified engine may run fine within a narrow rpm range without mufflers, but even that engine will lose ooomph at lower rpm where most street riding is done.

My old BSA with a factory competition engine I bought from Gary Nixon was about as loud as an atom bomb, but it only had superior power up near readline. I installed shorty mufflers (still not particularly quiet) and low end grunt improved. Ed

Attachment BSA5-4.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• Page: