Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 03 Dec 2014 17:56 #655269

• taylee
  • taylee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Just picked this "project" up. 1985 GPZ750. $260 but it's been sitting outside for 8 years. EVERYTHING needs refrubished or replaced. Even engine needs to get torn down and gone over. Even the wiring and it's connectors was crumbling before my eyes.

It's now ready for the engine to be removed and gone over. Afterward I will remove the suspension and send parts out for powder coating.
Eventually it'll get an USD front end and wider rear end. It will get low profile LED taillight/turn signal strip, getting rid of the monsterously heavy rear taillight.

BTW DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ONLINE SERVICE MANUAL (OR PDF) FOR 83-85 GPZ750?

1985 GPZ750 (non-turbo)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 07 Dec 2014 16:17 #655590

• CafeCruz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I just picked up the same bike and I am doing the same rebuild...

Attachment IMG_0285.jpg not found

v
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tucsonKZ1kP

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 07 Dec 2014 19:07 #655596

• taylee
  • User
Cool. At least yours has a pipe and a Corbin seat. Are you taking it all the way down to the frame and back up?

Mine is missing so many pieces and has so many parts that need replaced! I'm trying to not get discouraged and take it step by step, remembering I got it for cheap. And that a work of art isn't built over night but rather is the sum of a bunch of small details.

I am going to take the engine down to the cases and make sure everything is set there.
1985 GPZ750 (non-turbo)

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 07 Dec 2014 20:10 #655604

• CafeCruz
  • User
Mine a complete set of working parts (brakes, handles, and so on). Sadly, the bearing for the shift lever is broken out of the case so I ordered a crankcase from eBay; thus, I am now doing a full rebuild on the engine! Bummer is, I had already cleaned and pained he engine when I found the break...
I have taken the entire bike apart. I de-tabbed and chopped the tail on the frame yesterday.

Attachment IMG_0309.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0310.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0311.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0312.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0313.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0330.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0340.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0349.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0352.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0353.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0369.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0370.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0371.jpg not found

v
Attachments:

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 07 Dec 2014 20:15 #655605

• CafeCruz
  • User
Do you have a final concept for you build?
v

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 07 Dec 2014 20:18 #655607

• taylee
  • User
Well awesome! Keep me up to date. Maybe we can share help tips. How did you get your engine out of the frame?
Can you take a pic of the top of your triple clamps? I want to see what the piece is that holds the clipons in place? Mine is missing it.

I'm actually powder coating everything metal I can pull of it. I'm keeping the stock seat and tail. What are your plans for the seat tail?

I've also choppd off a few tabs but nothing too major. I'm going to need a front/right ignition cover and some TIG welding on that side of the case.
1985 GPZ750 (non-turbo)

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 07 Dec 2014 20:22 #655609

• taylee
  • User

CafeCruz wrote: Do you have a final concept for you build?

I would like to do something like this, but with upgraded suspension front and rear. I just picked up a 2006 ZX636 front and rear wheel and brakes but unfortunatley it's too short. That might have to wait. I'm definitely going to need a new rear shock. Is your stock one working?

1985 GPZ750 (non-turbo)

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 07 Dec 2014 20:27 #655610

• CafeCruz
  • User
I have the clamps for the stock clip-ons if you want them, I also posted in your thread about the fairing brackets...

I am going to build a pretty bare cafe, but the seat/tail framing will be closer to the Ducati SportClassic biposto set-up so that I can accommodate passengers.

To get the motor out, I laid the bike on the ground. I took all the bolts out and threw a towel on the ground and BINGO --it was out.
v

Last edit: by CafeCruz.

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 07 Dec 2014 20:31 #655611

• CafeCruz
  • User
Very cool looking bike. I love the Kawasaki colors.

The rear shock seems okay but I have yet to crack it open. I was looking at alternatives like the GSRX and the ZK7. I like the look of the coil on those...
v

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 08 Dec 2014 17:20 #655665

• taylee
  • User
Yes the rear shock on mine is going to be replaced with the same as what you are looking for....eventually. First things first: getting the engine out and getting metal parts powder coated. Then disassembling the engine and rebuilding the carbs.
1985 GPZ750 (non-turbo)

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 12 Dec 2014 17:00 #655928

• taylee
  • User
I got the head off the engine and found the cam lobes to look great!
There was some rust on the top of the pistons and a litle growing on the walls of #2,3,4 cylinders. Should I be worried about that? Not surprising seeing as how it say outside for so long with the carbs hanging off. There was no water in the oil when I drained it.

What would be my next step in the engine? Should I bother taking the cylinder off?
1985 GPZ750 (non-turbo)

1985 GPZ750 complete rebuild 12 Dec 2014 17:13 #655931

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675

taylee wrote: I got the head off the engine and found the cam lobes to look great!
There was some rust on the top of the pistons and a litle growing on the walls of #2,3,4 cylinders. Should I be worried about that? Not surprising seeing as how it say outside for so long with the carbs hanging off. There was no water in the oil when I drained it.

What would be my next step in the engine? Should I bother taking the cylinder off?

For one, any time you pull the head the cylinder should come off for new gaskets and seals. If you have crud on the cylinder wall I'd clean it up with a bottle brush hone and slam in new rings. For gaskets, only use OEM Kawasaki gaskets if you value oil tightness. Aftermarket is a gamble at best, and suicide at worst (if you wind up with Athena).

• Page: