• Page:

TOPIC:

'Bad' idea... 10 Aug 2014 21:15 #643424

• Wosmo
  • Wosmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Update...
I'm not making a lot of progress but I manage to accomplish a little every week. Right now it looks about like this...

I'm currently in the process of cleaning/refitting the electrical system. Cleaning all the contacts and checking the wires and components. I pulled the dyno cover off and decided to clean it up. Unfortunately I ran into some problems when I tried to remove the starter chain guide. Two problems to be exact...

:pinch: This would be a good place for a 'kicking things and throwing everything close to hand' smilie. Both screws sheared off right below the head and a screw extractor just 'popped' the f*#&ing thing apart. Oh well. I've got them both out and, for now, I'm going to try patching it with JB Weld. If that doesn't work I might try to find a replacement cover.
Building a happy home, one bike at a time...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was it a bad idea? 10 Aug 2014 21:18 #643425

• Wosmo
  • Wosmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Umm... first picture:

second picture:
Building a happy home, one bike at a time...

Was it a bad idea? 10 Aug 2014 22:09 #643429

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Big as I am, I couldn't ride a 400/440 very fast or very far, but if you're not of the gigantic variety then these can be really fun bikes. I've never heard them referred to as junk, indeed they have almost a cult following.

Do you have an impact driver? Not an impact wrench or gun, but an impact driver. The fasteners used on these old bikes are the worst aspect of them, as you've found out. Many refer to them as "single use fasteners", an impact driver will save you a lot of headaches...
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

• Page: