Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Was it a bad idea? 03 Jul 2014 22:43 #638855

• Wosmo
  • Wosmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've been riding off and on for a little while but this last spring I finally got around to taking the BRC. My mount for the weekend?

A Suzuki TU250X. Not an awe inspiring bike, but fun to ride. That got me thinking. I liked the small bike (but maybe not quite that small) and I really liked the Brit styling. The solution? Find a 350-500cc bike that wasn't quite as 'cruiser' styled as most. That's when I found this poor thing...

A 1977 KZ400D. I did not have it running but the engine was free, compression was good, and the title was clean and clear. I am reasonably confident I can have it running with a good battery and a carb cleaning.
I did some research before I ever put $ on this 'project' and it seemed like there is a following for them. I gathered they are not impressive but are solid, reliable, and even a little fun to ride. I've also read that they're junk. I saw multiple posting were they are referred to as "anchors"
Now, bearing in mind that I didn't buy this to build a racing bike but to build a nice little bike to teach my wife and kids to ride and for riding around town.... Did I just throw away $400?
Building a happy home, one bike at a time...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was it a bad idea? 03 Jul 2014 23:13 #638859

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
I've seen worse beginnings. It does look like a solid foundation for a project. Purchase a service manual and if you haven't already, some metric wrenches/sockets and some feeler/thickness gauges. Get her running well and shod with good tires and go riding. BTW, there is a patron of a restaurant I frequent that rides that model Suzuki. He likes it and it does what he wants if for.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wosmo

Was it a bad idea? 03 Jul 2014 23:39 #638860

• Wosmo
  • User
I've got the shop manual. I've got some practical experience wrenching (but not, for example, with chain drive or kick start) and I have most, if not all, the tools I should need(maybe minus some special tools). The back tire is a year old (but the front could be 5 or 35, I actually don't know :blush: ) I am honestly looking forward to wrenching on it and nobody has to tell me twice to go riding.
I guess I'm trying to say thank you. Your post made me feel a lot better about my prospects on this bike. Like I said, I'm not expecting to turn this into a blinding fast performance bike. I just want it to be dependable and a little fun when I 'finish' it.

Was it a bad idea? 04 Jul 2014 03:27 #638862

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
  • Thank you received: 46
Good gas mileage, + amount of smiles per miles = good idea. Just remember a good relationship is a lot of work but the rewards are great! Not everyone needs those asphalt rippling monsters. I love a light nimble great running bike. Make her yours.
Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

Was it a bad idea? 04 Jul 2014 19:35 #638930

• Godfrey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
I rode a 1976 400 for 14 yrs, rarely let me down.I read they were a throw away bike once you got 20k miles on the clock, probably because the cam rides in the aluminum of the head with no separate bearing. When i sold mine , it had 40 k on the odometer and was still running. I will let you know that in my case i installed a front sprocket one tooth more then stock and the bike still pulled well enough for both the wife and I to ride, as well as gettin 75 mpg on the highway
1981 650CSR frame

1980 KZ750E engine

Was it a bad idea? 05 Jul 2014 18:27 #638984

• Wosmo
  • User

It's in my driveway and I had it running briefly tonight! B) There's a lot to do (I mean really A LOT A LOT), but now I know there's something to work towards. Thanks for the positive responses guys. It helped me keep my head straight while I was trying to get it started. Time to start wrenching! :woohoo:

Was it a bad idea? 05 Jul 2014 23:12 #639001

• Tomolu5
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
I'd ride it! Good luck with the wrenching.
Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

Was it a bad idea? 06 Jul 2014 04:43 #639007

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
  • Thank you received: 46
My gurus (Father and Uncle) always told me the first thing to do to an old bike is to clean up the electrical system. I use a Dremmel to clean terminals then a electronics cleaner and then some di-electric grease when re assembling it. Do it one terminal at a time and inspect the harness for nicks and pinches.. There is nothing worse than chasing down gremlins while everything is ready to roll. Oh wait there is one thing worse. I did not follow this advice on a CB500/4 and burnt the harness to a crisp. $$$$$ucked!
Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

Was it a bad idea? 06 Jul 2014 10:22 #639030

• Wosmo
  • User
Thanks Proxy. That's great advice. That'd also be a good time to do any of the electrical mods (if any) or fix 'em if they weren't done right. Any body know what's common on these for electriacal updates/mods?

Was it a bad idea? 11 Jul 2014 22:04 #639785

• Wosmo
  • User
I think I'll leave the topic title alone... It's more rhetorical now... Anyway, quick update. Pulled the carbs (not quite as easy as I was expecting) and I'm in the middle of a serious cleaning. I also pulled the rear wheel (way easier than I was expecting) to get a new tube installed. I'm going to clean the hell outta everything while I have it stripped down this far and then put it all back together for now and see how she rides for awhile.

Last edit: by Wosmo.

Was it a bad idea? 11 Jul 2014 22:24 #639789

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Congrats on getting it to run, even if it was a short while. How did it sound? No $$$ noises I hope. I rode a kz 400 or 440 for a sort while years back. Solid commuter/back roads burner. Have fun with her. All the wrenching, sweating,time and $$$ you spend, will be worth it all on the first successful ride. Been there done that...
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Was it a bad idea? 31 Jul 2014 21:47 #642233

• Wosmo
  • User

azman857 wrote: Congrats on getting it to run, even if it was a short while. How did it sound? No $$$ noises I hope. I rode a kz 400 or 440 for a sort while years back. Solid commuter/back roads burner. Have fun with her. All the wrenching, sweating,time and $$$ you spend, will be worth it all on the first successful ride. Been there done that...

Thanks... I had to do some wrenching to get my Nighthawk roadworthy but nothing like this will require.
When I had it running it sounded a little 'rattley' but I don't know if that's a bad thing yet or not. I've decided to tear it down far enough to visually inspect some of the problem areas and to repair some leaks (around the kick start, for example). I'm also cleaning some things up and even applying a little paint here and there. I haven't had it running since I cleaned the carbs but that was when I decided to dig a little deeper and make sure everything is right.
So, for now she sits in pieces in my garage while a clean and inspect parts/plan my next move... progress will be slow but I'd really like to have it running before the end of the season. if not, oh well... I already have something to ride and winter is a great time to 'dig deep'!

• Page: