• Page:

TOPIC:

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 12 Jun 2014 14:44 #636356

• daniel.ferguson14
  • daniel.ferguson14's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • keepin the rubberside down
  • Thank you received: 0
So, here is the story, so far. I was bee-essing with a couple guys at work, customer service, lots of regulars, and was telling them how im tired of driving a car.... I need a bike or a truck.... one of my regulars, real biker type, without the the gut and unkept beard, says well I tell ya what. Ive got three kawasaki kzs that I have no time for and really no use for, he has three other bikes that he rides when he isnt at work. Another regular overhears the conversation....and we all get to talking. He has a kz1000, a kz900, and a kz750, all in various states of disrepair. The 900, a couple of friends of his wanted to turn into a drag bike, so they slammed the frame and bored it out..... the 750, not sure we really didnt get into that one, anyway the 1000, he actually found in a salvage yard on its side. Well he picked it up and took it home. Changed the oil, emptied the tank, put in new fuel, and new battery, one kick, started right up. Just couldnt get it to stay in second gear. So he took the engine out, flipped it over, opened the case and what do ya know.... its missing a washer ( or two) that should be there but are not. Long story short.... he gave me all three, and I negotiated, being that I only needed one bike, let alone, one project, I negotiated with the second said regular that if he would give me space to work on it, and help transport, that he could keep the 900 and the 750. Now after seven months, I finally have a little paperwork to go, but one vital piece that tells me its not stolen, so I can now proceed with the build up and title chasing.
Im also pretty sure that I have the wrong tank and wrong tail, but seeing as they were the ones in the best shape, I will be using them untilnsuch time as I can obtain the proper parts.
Anyway, hope these pics show. If not ill need to find out hoe to resize.
Keep the rubber side down.

Daniel.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 12 Jun 2014 14:51 #636357

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 300
Welcome Daniel...we love to hear stories like that.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 12 Jun 2014 15:14 #636360

• daniel.ferguson14
  • User
Prefix on vin numberis KZTOOA-, so am I seeing right that its a kz1000a4 mkii?

Daniel.

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 12 Jun 2014 16:01 #636364

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers

daniel.ferguson14 wrote: Prefix on vin numberis KZTOOA-, so am I seeing right that its a kz1000a4 mkii?

See a better interpretation below.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: by Mcdroid. Reason: clarity

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 12 Jun 2014 16:03 #636365

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers

daniel.ferguson14 wrote: Prefix on vin numberis KZTOOA-, so am I seeing right that its a kz1000a4 mkii?

Possibly...if that is the frame pictured from which this VIN came from. Check www.zedder.com to verify where your VIN falls.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 12 Jun 2014 16:57 #636372

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Dont "make" the tank and tail fit by cutting on the frame there are people here that would trade you the correct clear titled frame for the other style tank/tail and let you have a "normal" kz.

Depending on where they/you are, I know I have a free and clear titled ltd frame I would trade for a mkii
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 12 Jun 2014 17:47 #636376

• daniel.ferguson14
  • User
I do appreciate the offer, but im gonna stick with what I got. The tank kinda fits as is, and dont worry, no cutting on the frame will be done. I dont have the money or knowledge to tamper with it that deep yet. Im only using the tank temporarily, and hope to fully restore her sometime in the future. But for now just wanna get her on the road and ride.....safety in mind of course. And if the numbers on the engine match the frame......ahhhhh research..... I may have one nice piece of history one day. I just dont want to dig out the engine until I have the replacement part and am ready to put her together.

Daniel.

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 12 Jun 2014 18:12 #636378

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Hey no problem, offer stands, have a full bike even, just have seen people try to get it "together for now" and hack to hell great bikes, ELRs, GPZs MKIIs and Z1s. In this day and age? Take two seconds of googling to know not to do that to rare models.

If it were me, i would look for a doremi reproduction bodyset, pricey at $1000+ (eBay) but worth it when tanks seem to go for $400-500 tails for $100 and side covers for $50ea.
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 18 Jun 2014 06:51 #637048

• daniel.ferguson14
  • User
Thanks for the heads up. But the cash is tight right now. When I transferred the bike to my place, I grabbed the wrong tank apparently, but the one I got had very little visible rust internally, and as they were in pieces to begin with, I wasnt sure which parts went to which bike. Maybe I can get a late christmas present this next january lol.

Daniel.

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 16 Sep 2014 15:50 #647807

• daniel.ferguson14
  • User
Got the washers/ spacers installed.... a little minor surface rust taken care of in the tranny and ready to go together.... gonna pull the crank and double check the bearings.....maybe.... oh and one minor problem haha.....in transporting the bike pieces to my place, I kind of forgot to grab the oil pan..... so adventure time delayed again..... pics to come soon

Daniel.

no such thing as free? hehehe...well, okay :( 23 Sep 2014 18:36 #648578

• daniel.ferguson14
  • User
All going together nicely.... decided that I am not going to go too deep into the engine at this point in time. It was running well when taken apart, and the only signs of any issue with surface rust have been treated and cleaned.... only exposed areas were showing any signs of corrosion. No corrosion has reappeared in nearly a week. Uploading pics tomorrow hopefully, if i dont get sidetracked by the assembly process lol.... as of today, all just dry fitting and making sure all nuts and bolts are in the correct spots. One step closer.

Daniel.

• Page: