Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

CSR1000 Project Build 10 Jan 2015 08:07 #658260

• davido
  • davido's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 284
Thanks Puffin. I am well pleased with it so far.Though Im starting to get inspired again , theres no money to push forward. The shocks are going to cost around e300 and theres no getting around that.

I was in the workshop today,cleaning up a bit and thought I could maybe have a go at mounting the rearsets. I have all the bits I need and access to a welding machine.The problem is that Im not sure how to go about it.

I suppose they need to go around here somewhere and I need to weld some kind of mounting bracket onto the frame.

Can anyone advise on the does/donts? How do I find a good position for the rearsets ? What do I need to know? Can I weld a piece of billet steel directly onto the frame downtube or do I need to weld 2 thin pieces either side of the downtube,like the original? Lots of questions,has anyone covered this in a previous build thread?
Help me out here,Im trying to get the momentum going again. Thanks.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CSR1000 Project Build 10 Jan 2015 08:30 #658270

• blakeem
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I think the only way to find the best location is to sit on the bike, at least that's how I did it. I drilled an extra hole in the frame and used the existing one with spacers to bolt a plate and then bolted the rearsets on that. I have no idea what I'm doing so it may not even work.

If I had access to a welder I'd do it something similar to this (although not a kz1000).

On this he did similar to what you're saying and used a flat plate welded with some spacers bolted to that.

Anyway, great build and inspiration! I'm looking forward to more updates.

CSR1000 Project Build 10 Jan 2015 09:36 #658283

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
I had a few left over threaded bungs that I welded to the frame of my Gpz750. My rearsets are an aftermarket pair meant for a Zx12. I tried to keep the same mounting angle so the pedals would be close to the right orientation. IMO, where you held your footpegs will be far too low and far back. I made my pegs to be roughly 1" up and 1" back in the forward most middle position.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

Last edit: by StreetfighterKz.

CSR1000 Project Build 18 Jan 2015 02:50 #658955

• davido
  • User
Good idea boys,I hadnt thought of that.Looks a lot cleaner than welding a plate on and I held the rearsets up to get a better idea and with this method I should be able to get them further forward. I cant sit on the bike yet (to get a good position) as I still dont have the shock mounts yet. I took one of the original shocks over to the bike shop on thursday and hes going to machine some mounts up for me,then I can take them to the aluminium shop with the swing arm to get them welded on.Hopefully this time next week,I should have a rolling chassis.
So other than that,all Ive managed to do lately is re-thread and shorten the sprocket mounting bolts and get that mounted.

Not sure if itsthe right way around though theres a recess on tother side.This way brings it closer to the tyre.Other way brings it closer to the frame.Ah well,Ill sort it out when The motor is in.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments:

CSR1000 Project Build 18 Jan 2015 03:02 #658956

• davido
  • User
I may have mentioned that I cant weld in my workshop (no ventilation and neighbours) Ive got to take it down the road to do it. So I need to get everything ready so I can do all the welding in one go. The rearsets are one thing.Another thing are the passenger footrests, which brings up the question of Passenger or Mono?
Not sure on that one,Talked about it with my better half (she originally bought me the bike) and Im still not sure on that one!
So,my idea now is to weld on the mounts for passenger footrests so that I can go either way.Can anyone recommend
good option for passenger footrest hangers?
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 18 Jan 2015 03:13 #658957

• davido
  • User
The other thing I have to figure out is my seat option.
This is a thing that has had me stumped for a good long while.Ive been looking at other posts of how others are doing it
and there are lots of good ideas but nothing ,it seems that helps me.
The problem is first,how to fit a repro Z900 duck tail onto a CSR??

The CSR is too wide/high. and the Z tail wont drop down onto it

The CSR came originally with a couch on the back and no plastic tail piece.
I think that either I have to cut and rework the frame (which iI would rather not do) or slice open the tail and widen it.
Does anyone have any advice on this?
Thanks.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments:

CSR1000 Project Build 18 Jan 2015 03:40 #658958

• davido
  • User
One more thing. Ive seen a lot of people using a CBR600 tail light in the ducktail but which year/model CBR is it???
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 18 Jan 2015 09:35 #658982

• blakeem
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3

davido wrote: Can anyone recommend
good option for passenger footrest hangers?

My bike came with these Bikemaster aluminum clamp on passenger foot pegs, I've used them many times with a passenger without any problems. Won't require any drilling or welding and can be removed when you ride solo.

CSR1000 Project Build 18 Jan 2015 15:30 #659009

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

davido wrote:

The CSR came originally with a couch on the back and no plastic tail piece.
I think that either I have to cut and rework the frame (which iI would rather not do) or slice open the tail and widen it.
Does anyone have any advice on this?
Thanks.

It looks like your tailpiece is fiberglass. If its not plastic i would cut it down the middle, scuff it up real good, and then lay some fiberglass over the gap, wait till its cured and do it on the back as well, sand it down and no one will know. Much easier than modifying the frame.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

CSR1000 Project Build 24 Jan 2015 08:46 #659584

• davido
  • User
The tailpiece is fiberglass so I reckon Ill chop it up and widen it. Ive never done any fiberglassing before but Ive watched a load of youtubes on the subject and It dosnt look too difficult.Im looking forward to having a go.

I got the shock mounts today and Im very happy with them

Ive got to figure out a good position for them,then take the arm and mounts to my local alu welder to get fixed.Ill drop them in on Monday.

Another step closer
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments:

CSR1000 Project Build 28 Jan 2015 16:09 #659984

• motojoe392
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
This is a great build! I have to work around being close to neighbors who complain about any noise I make. You're Giving me ideas on how I can move forward, too.
Being Bikeless is killing me...

CSR1000 Project Build 02 Feb 2015 10:42 #660381

• davido
  • User
Thanks motojoe. The noise isnt the problem,its the smells. I have no ventilation so whatever stinky stuff I use,hangs around and offends delicate noses.
So,the welding will have to be done elsewhere and the fiberglassing. When spring has sprung and the weather improves, Ill be able to drag stuff outside. Where theres a will,theres a way. As the actress said to the bishop!
Anyway.Good news is that,finally,I have a rolling chassis.A big day.
Shock mounts,welded in place.

CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments: