Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

CSR1000 Project Build 26 Mar 2016 15:51 #717470

• Gordy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Wow you've been through the ringer on this.

Those side panels look awesome, I'm planning on something similiar, I hope my results are somewhere close to yours as I will be very happy with that. The circles are my favourite.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CSR1000 Project Build 26 Mar 2016 18:14 #717486

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Another great addition to the bike. Nice job David.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

CSR1000 Project Build 27 Mar 2016 12:51 #717613

• davido
  • davido's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 285
Thanks for the kind words boys. Im also glad that I went with the round hole mesh.It does look better.Today I tacked them all together in the back,so a bit of a clean and Ill throw them in the bucket for powdercaoting.
I had a look again at that pesky gear change clearance problem. I decided to grind away a wafer thin bit of the sidestand mount and bend the spring back a bit.Its just enough for the gearchange to clear. I think.Im going to go with it like this and see how it works.

I also needed a bit more swing in the bars.The turning radius wasnt enough on full lock,so I set up a few bits of wood to get it all equal on both sides

and ground back the lock stop (a little bit at a time)

and got as close as I could without smacking into the tank

Its still not as much as I would like.There are a few more mm to be had but Ill leave it like this and see how it behaves on the road. Its a lot better than it was before.
The other thing I tackled today was the front mudguard. I posted ,a while ago,about how I made it from fiberglass using the rear end of the ZXR guard as a mold. Well the final gelcoat didnt work out like I hoped so today I sanded it all back again to get rid of all the brush marks and got it mounted. I didnt want to bolt it straight on the forks as it would be in danger of cracking around the mounting holes when I tighten up the bolts.So I made up some (?? I dont know what you call them!) rubber mounted spacer things.
I cut some alu pipe,long enough to go through the fiberglass and a rubber washer,I made the rubber washers from some CB750 valve stem seals I had,mounted them twixt the fork leg and the mudguard and tightened them up,with another steel washer under the bolt.
Hopefully you get what I mean from the photos

So when I tighten the bolts up they bottom out on the alu pipe without putting direct pressure on the fiberglass,though still holding it all solidly together.
I also got the headlight and clocks mounted.All in all,a good productive day.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 27 Mar 2016 13:19 #717619

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
So now it's time to have a few cold ones & sit back & admire your work for the day, & think of what to do next, :)
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

CSR1000 Project Build 02 Apr 2016 10:40 #718891

• davido
  • User
I did do that,Pete. I do that a lot.The clock is ticking though and Iveonly got the use of this space for a limited time.So no time for love Mr Jones!
Today, it was 'Alu day'. The rearsets have been a major problem for me on this build.Mainly clearance problems with the brake pedal and the pipe on one side and on the other side, twixt the gearchange lever and the side stand Its been a real pain in the arse,to be honest. I think I got it sorted now though. I hope.
MDF template made up at (hopefully) the right positioning. 10mm Alu plate cut out slightly oversize

I got given a small band saw years ago,from a friend.It sat untouched in the workshop,til last month. A bit of a clean,some lubrication and a new blade and its back in action.A lot better than a jigsaw for this sort of work.

Learning from my mistakes,make sure the template is as perfect as you can get.Sand the edges totally smooth.Any imperfections will be transferred to the alu. I cut the alu back as close as possible without biting into to the template,Its easier to cut it away and beetr for the router as well. With a copy bit in the router table and lots of WD40

and I ended up with these fellas

CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Last edit: by davido.

CSR1000 Project Build 02 Apr 2016 11:00 #718895

• davido
  • User
Then I had a crack at the mounting plate for the hydraulic clutch conversion.I made the plate last year ( I think) but Im not happy with the way it turned out,so I want to cut a new one but today I wanted to work out the spacing for it

I was a bit worried about how to work out the spacers as the original cover is very profiled and has various length bolts holding it on.I wasnt sure how to work out all the lengths that I would need but Allah was smiling on me and it turned out that the holes on the engine case are all on the same plane.The differnt length bolts are down to the profile in the cover.Meaning all the bolts and spacers I need are exactly the same length! Good news.

I just cut some alu tube for now.I wont be able to get the definate spacing until the system is together and the fluid in,then,through trial and error,I can get the correct spacing.IThen Ill cut some SS tube for the final result.
So far so good.

Next alu job is to redo the clock mounts and incorporate a spot for the ignition key and maybe,neutral/high beam/oil warning lights.Have to have a think on all that first.
Thats it for now
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments:

CSR1000 Project Build 02 Apr 2016 11:11 #718900

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
Really nice work David, keep it up and keep knocking things off the list, you will get there sooner than you know! Love the progress and pics, keep it up ;)

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider
The following user(s) said Thank You: davido

CSR1000 Project Build 04 Apr 2016 10:58 #719234

• davido
  • User
Thanks Brett,yes its a long list and I still havent quite reached that point when I can bolt things up,knowing that I dont need to unbolt them again but that day will come. (Hopefully when the wheels and swingarm are back from the powdercoaters).
Anyway,today,I finished work earlier than I expected,so I went to the workshop and got a new plate cut for the clutch. I used the same method as with the footrest hangers and it worked out just peachy. (I didnt have the camera with me, so, photos to follow).
Now I have to figure out how to put some profiling in it without bollocksing it up,like I did witht the last one. I dont have access to,or knowledge of how to work a milling machine,so I have to use what I have. A router table,various hand held routers and a couple of bench presses.
Im not working tomorrow so Ill have a crack at it then.Tonight is for thinking!

P.s. Thanks Jon (Kawaholic) for the spacing advice,I think Ive sussed it out now.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 05 Apr 2016 12:01 #719398

• davido
  • User
Photos from yesterdays efforts

Everything lines up great.Just need to get some SS allen head bolts to hold it all down and figure out how to mill some nice profiling without a milling machine.

Today was spent working on the mount for the clocks/idiot lights and ignition key.The original mounting plate I made for the clocks was a bit rough to be honest (one of my first aluminium jobs) and pretty thin at 4mm.Also I hadnt given any thought to the ignition and the idiot lights.

I was happy with it at the time but I need somewhere to switch the bike on.I had a good look at it and figured that if I moved the clocks forward about 1cm,I would be able to fit everything else in,just as it was originally.So I made a rough template to check the positioning.

and it all fitted.The only problem being that the ignition switch mount is on a different plane AND at a different angle to everything else.
So i made up a couple of angled spacers to sort that out

and that was it.Ill have to make up a jig to drill the holes in the final alu plate but its all looking workable. Im now busy with a 2nd template
to get the outside shape I want

It was getting late and I was knackered so I called it a day at that.

Once Ive gotten that done,Ill transfer to a final template from 18mm MDF, bolt it up to some 10mm alu plate,trim it back on the band saw and run it over the router table.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 05 Apr 2016 12:29 #719400

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

davido wrote: Thanks Brett,yes its a long list and I still havent quite reached that point when I can bolt things up,knowing that I dont need to unbolt them again but that day will come. (Hopefully when the wheels and swingarm are back from the powdercoaters).
Anyway,today,I finished work earlier than I expected,so I went to the workshop and got a new plate cut for the clutch. I used the same method as with the footrest hangers and it worked out just peachy. (I didnt have the camera with me, so, photos to follow).
Now I have to figure out how to put some profiling in it without bollocksing it up,like I did witht the last one. I dont have access to,or knowledge of how to work a milling machine,so I have to use what I have. A router table,various hand held routers and a couple of bench presses.
Im not working tomorrow so Ill have a crack at it then.Tonight is for thinking!

P.s. Thanks Jon (Kawaholic) for the spacing advice,I think Ive sussed it out now.

No problem David, the fact that you put out such quality work and have so much thought put into it shows, and even more impressive without a mill and doing it by hand instead and using tools you do have access to! The new clutch plate looks great and as always top notch work ;)

I would suggest keeping the other as a backup, looks great regardless and never know when you might need a spare at least temporarily to help!

Keep it coming, really enjoying following your build and rooting for you to wrap up in your timeline, glad that worked out for a shop and storage for you buddy :woohoo:

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

CSR1000 Project Build 09 Apr 2016 10:27 #720051

• davido
  • User
Back to it again today.More alu work. Maybe even the last bit? Im not sure though.
The clocks/ignition mounting plate. I finished off the first template to check everything would fit together properly and it all looked good

Then I transfered that to 18mm MDF,bolted on the 10mm alu and trimmed it all back as close as I could

A spin round on the router table

and it came out very nicely

I got the angled holes drilled for the ignition,which was a pain in the arse to do.I made up a jig with a 30 degree angle,closed my eyes and went for it. Apart from drilling one of the pilot holes in the opposite direction,I got it done. With the angled spacers that I made last week,it all fits just right

So,I still have to do a bit of fiddleing around with it but its pretty much there now.

It took a lot more time than I thought,as everything seems to do.Not sure if Ill be able to get away tomorrow,if not Ill have to wait til next week. Tik Tok !
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 10 Apr 2016 10:51 #720198

• davido
  • User
A couple of hours in the workshop today.Tidied up the mounting plate a bit,gave it a bevel. Looks good.(No photo though). Then I thought it was about time to start thinking about the loom. Not sure what Im going to do here. I would like an M Box and a mini battery and all the bells and whistles of a modern electrical system but the budget isnt going to stretch to that. So, Ive got to get creative.
A 35 year old electrical system. Worn out,badly repaired,bare wires in some places and signs of a fire on the bike during a previous life.
So first things first,strip the loom down and see whats what. I made a frame to pin itall down

Ive got to get a few things first,then I can get started.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments: