Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1000p project progress 09 Dec 2014 07:20 #655688

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
Although Andrews doesn't make cams for these bikes, they were kind enough to send me the specs. Once you get past 2X, you have to use under lifter shims, grind the head and valve cover, heavy duty springs, etc. This is over kill for a 1000cc machine.
I couldn't load the file as it's a PDF.
Sorry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SWest.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 09 Dec 2014 08:44 #655694

• blakeem
  • blakeem's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for that, I uploaded it here if anyone's interested .

All the cams I've looked at seem to be quiet a bit different. APE makes some as well but they are more aggressive and require high compression pistons. kzzone.com/cams.html

Last edit: by blakeem.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 09 Dec 2014 09:02 #655695

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Looks like you've got it covered.
Steve

1982 KZ1000p project progress 13 Dec 2014 21:03 #655998

• blakeem
  • User
I spent a couple hours tonight labeling and removing the wiring harness, much of it fell apart when it came out. It's trashed and seems like a pain in the ass. Luckily I have a wiring diagram, people to help, and lots of free time.

Here it was before.

And after. I wanted to cut the tabs off tonight but the shop closed early so I'll do that next week. The brackets under the seat that hold the battery will be perfect for hiding the electronics.

Here is the monstrosity of a wiring harness.

The shop will be closed for 3 weeks over the holiday so this will be the last week to work on the frame. I will have the harness and engine parts to clean up and polish at home.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 01 Feb 2015 01:42 #660282

• blakeem
  • User
It has been a while because I've been busy on my other project and cleaning the garage so I have the room to build a custom harness. I took some pictures of the wiring diagram and key, it's easier to read this way. Someone may find it useful.

I'm looking forward to getting starting on the wiring harness. I'm also shopping around for a good machine shop so I can get started on the engine. More updates coming soon.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 01 Feb 2015 02:56 #660283

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
shoot man, you're close enough i would at least do a lazy paint job on the frame.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 02 Feb 2015 10:58 #660383

• blakeem
  • User
I'll do that once I get the tabs and floor boards cut off. Thanks for reminding me, I need to start on that soon.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Mar 2015 20:44 #665172

• blakeem
  • User
I chopped everything off the frame today.

Taped off everything that was being removed.

It came out very clean, I was able to grind off every bit of the tabs and floor boards, it's like they were never there. It took me about 3 hours using the angle grinder and a dremel.

I also cleaned up some tabs that I cut off previously.

Here under the seat I'm going to make an aluminum tray that will hold the electronics. The tabs are in the perfect spot for this.

I chopped the tabs off the swingarm however I don't have access to clean them up. I'm going to be pulling the swingarm and put in new bearings, I will clean it up then.

I cleaned up the kickstand as well.

I ran out of abrasive discs for my angle grinder so I'll come back and finish this up once I get more. After that I'll sand everything and make it all nice.

Here is everything I removed.

The frame is looking so nice that I think I want to powder coat it. A custom bike shop down the street showed me this metallic blue that I really liked, I'm thinking it would look sweet with the stock white tank and I could always repaint it later on. The bike is practically 100% disassembled anyway so I might as well make it into something awesome and unique.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 22 Mar 2015 10:03 #665215

• jakedude
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30

blakeem wrote:

I think you made a mistake cutting off the item in the lower right hand corner of the above picture. The rear break master cylinder attaches to two holes on the metal strap bisecting the loop. Also, the bearing at the upper left of that part as shown is where you likely want to put the brake pedal. See. www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/594736-footpeg-questions . I'm the second post in that thread and part of my post shows how I put pegs, brake pedal, and standard shifter on my 88 KZ1000p.

Maybe you have another plan?
Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 22 Mar 2015 14:54 #665246

• blakeem
  • User
I have gsxr rear sets and master cylinder that I'll be using.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 22 Mar 2015 15:27 #665251

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Hey Blake, it's good to see you're getting the bike together. Did you get your engine done? The KZP box guards I bought from you have come in handy. Bumping into things coming out of the box and dodging a stove I have out side. Thanks.
I'd like to see and hear your's when you fire it up. I bought a cheap cam for $27. It's featured on one of my threads. Works good but I really want a more expensive one when I can afford it.
Keep it up.
Steve

1982 KZ1000p project progress 22 Mar 2015 15:43 #665253

• blakeem
  • User
Engine is still in pieces. I'm going to repair some of the cooling fins while it's apart. I need to finish the wiring and frame before I start on the engine. I also need to get tabs welded on for the rear sets.