Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 20 Feb 2015 01:17 #662119

• Gordy
  • Gordy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

kaw-a-holic wrote: That's a bummer Gordy. I went LED for a head light from Truck-Lights. It is just a 7" sealed light replacement that goes in your existing bucket.
Here is a link to what I used on my KZ1000 www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-15587-truck-...rIhdQ1QEIxoCJRTw_wcB
Hope this helps.

Thanks very much.

The existing bucket has had it. The previous owner has drilled extra holes in the top and now the speedo has been moved it's not going to do anything but fill with water.

I've had a planning brainstorm last night and I think I can come up with a way to keep my existing headlight bracket s and the indicators without having to modify the new headlight. I will try it out over the weekend to see if it's going to work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 20 Feb 2015 08:04 #662135

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Strange you have no space for the wiring,the headlight shell looks pretty deep from the photo. Are you sure you cant go through the wiring and tidy it up a bit so itll tuck up better? Maybe whack off some block connectors and solder in
individual bullet connections. That might give you a bit more space.
Also,with your new speedo set up,maybe there are some unnessecary wires in there .(My bike has a wire coming from the clutch lever,no idea whats thats for.) Give it a good spring clean and get rid of what you dont need.
Sort it out please and let us know.Im in the market for a new headlight and I was quite partial to something nice and slim.I also didnt consder the spaghetti that has to fit in the back of it.
Im going to wait and see how you get out of this one before I buy anything.
Good luck
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 20 Feb 2015 09:56 #662140

• Gordy
  • User

davido wrote: Strange you have no space for the wiring,the headlight shell looks pretty deep from the photo. Are you sure you cant go through the wiring and tidy it up a bit so itll tuck up better? Maybe whack off some block connectors and solder in
individual bullet connections. That might give you a bit more space.
Also,with your new speedo set up,maybe there are some unnessecary wires in there .(My bike has a wire coming from the clutch lever,no idea whats thats for.) Give it a good spring clean and get rid of what you dont need.
Sort it out please and let us know.Im in the market for a new headlight and I was quite partial to something nice and slim.I also didnt consder the spaghetti that has to fit in the back of it.
Im going to wait and see how you get out of this one before I buy anything.
Good luck

That's the problem, I didn't consider it either hehe!

Currently here is the problem. As it stands now there is all this mess of cabling in the current shell. Which is 7.5inches in diameter. As you can see it's a total mess. I've cleaned up the speedo cabling, which was the worst of the looms, but there is still more that needs to be attacked.

The new headlight has a ring of LED's around the outside just inside the shell casing. You can make them out in this picture here:

The whole thing is designed as a sealed unit that is not used to hide the cabling. So I think moving the cables back towards the tank area is the best plan of attack.

If the weathers not tipping it down, I will try to find some places to hide the wiring mess. I'm thinking maybe somewhere underneath the tank would be the best place. As it is hidden from view, but is close to where the existing wiring is. Maybe even in some kind of box to keep the connectors out of the worst of the weather.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 21 Feb 2015 06:34 #662218

• Gordy
  • User
Well the first hurdle is over. I've found a new mounting point for the indicators. I actually prefer them here instead of attached to the headlamp brackets. All I did was remove one of the fork bolts and make a bracket for the indicators on each side, using the bolt to attach them directly to the fork. I will need to dress the wiring and make that as hidden for each indicator next.

1: Remove the existing headlight and all wiring

2. Mock up some little brackets

3. Brackets done and in place

4. Fit the indicators and see how it looks.

I also held the new headlamp in place to see how it looks on the bike.

The weather has now turned, so I'm not sure if I can get anything else done this weekend. I'd like to see to some of the wiring spaghetti if I can.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 21 Feb 2015 08:17 #662226

• Gordy
  • User
Well I managed to get some more progress as the weather held off for 30mins. What I managed to get done was test mounting the headlight to make sure the brackets would work and they do!

First up some comparison shots of the old and new headlight. You can see just how much smaller the new one is.

I fitted the bracket off the bike first, to test it would work

Then I got it fitted to the bike. I love it! The pictures came out blurry unfortunately. I will have to take some better ones when I'm next out there.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 21 Feb 2015 09:39 #662233

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
and what have you gone done with all them pesky cables and connectors?
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 21 Feb 2015 09:42 #662235

• Gordy
  • User

davido wrote: and what have you gone done with all them pesky cables and connectors?

So far nothing, I've just pulled them back and labelled them. You can see the spaghetti in the last picture. I think there will be loads I can remove and I've found a lovely space under the tank to hide all the connectors and cabling. I think that should work in theory, but I will have to see how the theory matches reality!

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 27 Feb 2015 11:21 #662887

• Gordy
  • User
I've started work on the cable spaghetti, it's not pleasant work, but who said it would be all fun!.

First job of the week so far was to sleeve the two indicators so that the cables would be less obvious. I also did the same to the new headlamp.

Next up I fitted them back on the bike. I was originally going to reuse the bolts from before, but in the end I decided to get some new ones so that I could use an allen key instead of a socket wrench. It makes fitting the indicators much easier. I also moved them to the bottom bolt so that the cable runs underneath and is more hidden.

Next I stripped back the loom so that I could see what is going on and if I can make any improvements.

There were a few iffy connections which I am working through. If I get good weather this weekend I will try to finish the wiring loom changes.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 01 Mar 2015 03:07 #663023

• Gordy
  • User
Well the weather forecast was not good so I decided to take matters in to my own hands.

It was a great idea as it allowed me to work on the wiring in the dry all day.

I spent several hours rewiring the loom and putting new connectors on. It was a real pain to do, but quite rewarding.

There is still more sleeving to do, but I ran out of my loom harness tape. So it will need to be finished when the new order arrives.

I did get a chance to wire it all in and test things like the new speedo.

I also tested the new headlamp, but discovered a problem. The side light ring was working, but not the main or dipped beam arggggh!!! I was hoping what I had done already would have fixed that, but no.

I started attacking the loom with a multimeter to try trace the issue back to it's source. I ended up back at the fuse box and this seemed to be where the issue was. However the fuse was fine which confused me. It took me a moment to work out that the issue was actually the connectors being old and rusty.

So I decided to replace the fuse box and see if that solved the issues.

That would be a big fat yes!

I was so relieved as I've been trying to sort that issue out for some time. I even considered getting someone else to look at it, but I was determined that I could find out the issue.

So there is not much more I need to do before getting it MOT'd and back on the road:
1. Finish the loom wiring
2. Setup the speedo and finish the wiring of that.
3. Get the tank back on and filled with fuel.
4. Get her started!

With some good weather and orders arriving swiftly I hope to get that done in the next week or two.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 02 Mar 2015 17:16 #663239

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Fantastic! Good job getting the wiring sorted out. Hope the rest of it stays on track for you.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordy

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 13 Mar 2015 02:46 #664288

• Gordy
  • User
Well bad day today and yesterday, I took the bike in for it's MOT test and it failed on many many things. Some which are petty bs like reflectors need to be on the center line of the bike, others that I don't understand.

The main ones are:
Rear suspension has a modification which reduces the strength of a load bearing member or its supporting structure.
Rear shock absorber has inadequate damping effect
Front mudguard can easily contact the tyre
Rear position lamp does not illuminate immediately when its switched on.
Brake lever has inadequate reverse travel.
Brake reaction bracket insecure.

Loads of the other bits are just tightening and adjusting, but those ones are a pain as some of them have passed mot's in the past so I don't get it. I cannot alter the suspension myself as I don't have the tools.

I'm going to see the guy the did the test tomorrow to see what he thinks needs to be done.

Last edit: by Gordy.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 13 Mar 2015 06:02 #664303

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
dammit!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordy