Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 08 Jul 2014 08:54 #639264

• Gordy
  • Gordy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

bluezbike wrote: Nice fab work Gordy.....those headlight mounts look really good, thanks for the contact

Thanks, glad it was of some use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 09 Jul 2014 19:13 #639502

• Greasedmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
The bike is looking great! I cant wait to see it finished up.
1980 KZ650E
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordy

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 09 Jul 2014 19:42 #639513

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Very cool project. I like the fact you are working right in your driveway on much of this project. I too have a KZ650 but bone stock. I am envious of your willingness to take this out past the edge. B)
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 09 Jul 2014 23:46 #639536

• Gordy
  • User

Forrest wrote: Very cool project. I like the fact you are working right in your driveway on much of this project. I too have a KZ650 but bone stock. I am envious of your willingness to take this out past the edge. B)

Thanks. Basically I have two options for workspace, 1 is the front garden the other is the house. My wife will murder me if I do things in the house, so it has to be the front garden. I used to have a massive double garage, but sadly not any more.

It works quite well, I just have to time it around the weather.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 06 Aug 2014 07:09 #642865

• Gordy
  • User
Well, I've not had a chance to do very much on the bike, as we've had a more important addition to the family

He's taken a bit of focus away from the bike for some reason :D

What I have been doing is fighting the mirrors wiring. The mirrors are supposed to be attached inside the bars, but they just don't work very well. They come loose all the time. I tried various mirrors, but in the end realised the best method was to attach them around the bars and shift everything else inward. This leaves a hole in the bar end which I picked up some Hope Bar Doctors from the cycle shop. They were a nightmare to fit due to the bars, but I have one side in okish.

The other side will wait until I fit the new throttle.

Next up I've been wanting to fit a replacement clutch cable as the original one was far too long and frankly dangerous. After reading a tip on here that the z1 was a good fit, I swapped them over. Getting the sprocket cover off was a little bit tricky, but I got it done in the end.

I've been wiring up the rear lights and indicators which I think I'm on the third different way of doing it now. I was going to use waterproof connectors, but these just end up looking messy. So I'm just going to solder and sheath them all instead.

Next target is to get the wiring done and tested, then to try to find a time with my wife and the baby so that I can finish my seat cover.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 15 Sep 2014 06:32 #647592

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Congrats on the new family member. Very valid reason for being distracted.

The bar ends with the new mirror mounts look good. I am always amazed at what seems like the most simply projects can turn into works of frustration. :pinch:

Keep up the good work when you can. And, enjoy the growing family! B)
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 15 Sep 2014 06:43 #647593

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Are you missing the shield that goes in front of the counter-sprocket or was it just temporarily removed? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 15 Sep 2014 09:24 #647608

• Gordy
  • User

Forrest wrote: Congrats on the new family member. Very valid reason for being distracted.

The bar ends with the new mirror mounts look good. I am always amazed at what seems like the most simply projects can turn into works of frustration. :pinch:

Keep up the good work when you can. And, enjoy the growing family! B)

Thanks, it seems as though everything I've been doing on the bike has been frustrating of late. I changed the brake master cylinder for one from a ZX10r and the first lever wouldn't return to zero. Luckily the second one would. I've now got a leaking brake fluid reservoir. The fluid is leaking out from the pipes between the reservoir and the master cylinder. Even though the clamps are in place. Who knows what is happening.

To add insult to injury an ant decided to climb into the brake fluid and then die on my fuel tank. Which cause the brake fluid he had covering him to eat a small section of the paint of the tank. It's only a few mm but it still annoys me. I had planned on repainting it next year anyway I suppose.

My wife has started working on the seat cover so hopefully bar a few minor bits I can get it on the road in the next few weeks! The major one is a new throttle cable to be installed which looks like it will be tricky.

650ed wrote: Are you missing the shield that goes in front of the counter-sprocket or was it just temporarily removed? Ed

It's been removed to replace the clutch cable.

Last edit: by Gordy.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 15 Sep 2014 09:27 #647614

• Gordy
  • User
Argh quoted myself instead of hitting edit sorry. Please delete

Last edit: by Gordy. Reason: Argh quoted myself instead of hitting edit sorry. Please delete

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 09 Feb 2015 10:57 #661048

• Gordy
  • User
So, it's been quite some time since I have updated this thread. I have made some progress on the bike. However not as much as I've hoped for. It's still not on the road, but closer than ever!

The major issue has been some wiring gremlins. Some caused by me and some caused by some shoddy work in the past. I got a couple of wires wrong when hooking up the new controls, which I fixed quite quickly. However there was a very bad short which caused smoke to appear from near the speedo and fry the main fuse. After much poking around with the multimeter I realised that the speedo wiring was to blame. I found a really awful mess of cables hidden under some tape. Really really shoddy work, some of which was touching the frame of the headlamp and causing a short. So instead of waiting to fit the new speedo I've ripped out the old dials and wiring and started doing it now, as the wiring would have taken ages to fix properly.

Next up I needed to create a bracket to mount the new speedo in place.
Here it is as it sits now, it needs painting and preparing, but I’m very happy with it.

The other major job ticked off the list is the seat. With the superb skills of my wife the seat is now fully in place. It was a pig to fit, but I’m really happy with how it looks.

Seat being fitted

The seat is in place.

Got to make sure to start the little un on bikes as young as possible!

The next week or two is time for me to do some other wiring jobs. I need to wire up the new speedo and get that working. I also need to replace the current fuse box as it’s in terrible shape.

I’ve picked up this blade style fuse box to replace it with

That and the other wiring I’ve done will fix the headlamp issues I’ve been having. I’ve managed to fit a relay that fixes my led indicators which was one more job done.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 10 Feb 2015 04:07 #661135

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Looking good Gordy. Nice bracket for the speedo.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 10 Feb 2015 06:20 #661142

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
nice job sir!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0