TOPIC:

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 06 Apr 2016 11:35 #719568

• Gordy
  • Gordy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks, is that this mag ?

www.practicalsportsbikesmag.co.uk/magazine/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 06 Apr 2016 12:36 #719581

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 285

Gordy wrote: Thanks, is that this mag ?

www.practicalsportsbikesmag.co.uk/magazine/

Yup. Thats the one.Well worth getting if youre into spannering on old (but not SO old) bikes. I did used to read another one.' Classic mechanics' I think it was called. It used to be very good but it went downhill a couple of years ago for some reason so I stopped getting it. Dont know what its like now,maybe worth having a look.
Easons have them both (if Easons still exist) but 'Practical Sportbike' is well worth the subscription IMO
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 07 Apr 2016 08:14 #719717

• QCkaw
  • User
  • 1978 KZ650-B2
  • Thank you received: 2
I think you should have more than enough with that 14AH battery... I'm hoping to get away with less.

About that SH775 R/R, I see in research that it appears to be used with a 3-wire alternator, but my KZ650 only has 2 wires. Wiring diagrams for the larger 1100's show 3 wires. How would wiring this thing up to a 650 go? Did you change the stator as well?

And I'm having pretty difficult time finding a SH775 for sale. Availability even on eBay seems very limited to nonexistent, at least domestic to US. Has this part been discontinued or something?

Thanks.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 07 Apr 2016 08:35 #719722

• Gordy
  • User

QCkaw wrote: I think you should have more than enough with that 14AH battery... I'm hoping to get away with less.

About that SH775 R/R, I see in research that it appears to be used with a 3-wire alternator, but my KZ650 only has 2 wires. Wiring diagrams for the larger 1100's show 3 wires. How would wiring this thing up to a 650 go? Did you change the stator as well?

And I'm having pretty difficult time finding a SH775 for sale. Availability even on eBay seems very limited to nonexistent, at least domestic to US. Has this part been discontinued or something?

Thanks.

The advice I saw on the web suggested that two and three wires made no difference to the sh775. I've not tried this out for myself yet though!

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 14 Apr 2016 08:55 #720909

• Gordy
  • User
Well some forward progress was made on the wiring. I took a couple of days of work to start making real progress. Unfortunately the British weather was well British which slowed things down.

I got out the tarp again to make some form of shelter to work under.

First job was to get the Dyna Coils in place. I had to order some nylon spacers from ebay and sand them down to the right size, but they now fit perfectly.

I also managed to get the battery and M-Unit mounting into place to make sure it would fit. Luckily it did!

Next up I fitted the Dyna S ignition. I've not set it up fully yet, but it's in place.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 14 Apr 2016 08:56 #720910

• Gordy
  • User
Other jobs included a new mounting point for a new brake reservoir as the previous one was leaking. I knocked this up in aluminium, Also I had fitted the new switches from Highway dirtybikes. These mount directly onto the brake levers. Sadly the left one doesn't fit so I had to use a different switch setup from the previous switch setup. It's still cool looking but I wanted two identical ones instead of similar ones.

I've broken the back of the main rewiring, it's just the final fitting into place of the main loom. I am fed up of seeing and working on cables and connectors now, but it will be worth it.

With a lot of the loom work I tried to merge things together to simplify things and make routes to the main loom easier. Such as this section of front indicators/horn and brake switch.

I've had a play with the M-Unit and it's a great bit of kit.

My final completed job was to make a mounting point for the Motogadget M-Lock. I've put it down the side so I can easily get to it. It may move when I finally decide what to do with the side panels. As I think a hidden setup would be best.

Using the key is awesome, I need to get the glass vial fitted to my glove asap.

Video:

Not going to get more done this weekend, but hopefully I will get the final wiring done soon as I want to ride it!!

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 14 Apr 2016 09:38 #720916

• davido
  • User
Gordy,Like the switches and am jealous of the M unit. Im staring at my own very worn out loom,wondering what to do with it. The budget wont stretch to an M-unit but Im thinking of new wire and connectors..From what I can see on my loom,I have 3 different sizes of wire. One very thick (battery/starter etc),One very thin (main wiring) and one slightly thicker(headlight and some other bits) What grade (mm2 ?) are you using,and where did you get it? Have you been able to stick with the original colours or have you gone your own way?
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 14 Apr 2016 09:57 #720922

• Gordy
  • User
I decided that in order to do it properly a new battery and m-unit was much better than trying to do it any other way. Expensive though, but if you can stretch for it.

For wire I used eBay, there's a uk seller who sells 50m etc in multiple colours so you can get lots of colours without getting too much of each. I used 0.5mm for switches and 1mm for the rest of the loom. However that's because the m-unit acts like a relay you may need thicker cable if doing it conventionally.

For the battery connections I used thicker stuff not sure of the size off hand.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 14 Apr 2016 15:05 #720986

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
I put my RF sensor behind my side panel with industrial 3M velcro.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordy

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 16 Apr 2016 12:04 #721231

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
Hey Gordy,

Once again like all my prior replies, I gotta say just how impressed I am with the quality of your work and the way you are taking this! Looks just tits man and really really clean, congrats on getting nearly to the bottom of wiring the ol' girl back up again and keep those pics coming, great great job!

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 17 Apr 2016 11:02 #721420

• Gordy
  • User

kaw-a-holic wrote: I put my RF sensor behind my side panel with industrial 3M velcro.

I'm not a fan of the stock side panels, but I may use them in the short term.

I'd like to make some side panels like the ones on a lot of Classified Moto's bikes like this one:

I'm not sure the signal will pass through the metal on those with the glass vial for the m-lock.

Irish-Kawi wrote: Hey Gordy,

Once again like all my prior replies, I gotta say just how impressed I am with the quality of your work and the way you are taking this! Looks just tits man and really really clean, congrats on getting nearly to the bottom of wiring the ol' girl back up again and keep those pics coming, great great job!

Brett

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 17 Apr 2016 12:30 #721435

• davido
  • User
I made these up for mine. Well happy with how they turned out.

Just need to powdercoat them.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments: