Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 15 Mar 2016 16:17 #715572

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
You will love it Gordy, made my wiring very simple. I use the M-Button also. You wire the M-Button to yourun hand controls and then you have one single BUS wire that is connected to the M-Unit. Food for thought, your in it this deep what one more item.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 16 Mar 2016 01:20 #715631

• Gordy
  • Gordy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

kaw-a-holic wrote: You will love it Gordy, made my wiring very simple. I use the M-Button also. You wire the M-Button to yourun hand controls and then you have one single BUS wire that is connected to the M-Unit. Food for thought, your in it this deep what one more item.

Yeah I did consider it, but in the end decided against it. The main reasons for this were cost and the fact with just 5 switches I only need 6 cables in total back to the main loom. Also I wasn't sure where I could fit it without a ton of work and planning. 6 more wires isn't going to make any difference to the loom work as there are already a load for the headlights/horn/indicators/brake switch/coils etc.

I may regret the decision when I'm wiring everything up tho ! :D

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 16 Mar 2016 01:29 #715633

• Gordy
  • User

kaw-a-holic wrote: You will love it Gordy, made my wiring very simple. I use the M-Button also. You wire the M-Button to yourun hand controls and then you have one single BUS wire that is connected to the M-Unit. Food for thought, your in it this deep what one more item.

Also whilst I remember, did you put a fuse between the m-unit and the battery as they suggest in the manual?

I went for one like this in the end as there aren't many choices for thick wire fuses

On some installs people have put a fuse in, on others they have not.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 18 Mar 2016 04:28 #715986

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

Gordy wrote:

Also whilst I remember, did you put a fuse between the m-unit and the battery as they suggest in the manual?

I went for one like this in the end as there aren't many choices for thick wire fuses

On some installs people have put a fuse in, on others they have not.

No I put in a breaker switch that powers both the M-Unit and my mosfet R/R. I don't like carrying fuses, it's part of the reason I went with the M-Unit.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 18 Mar 2016 09:31 #716035

• Gordy
  • User

kaw-a-holic wrote: No I put in a breaker switch that powers both the M-Unit and my mosfet R/R. I don't like carrying fuses, it's part of the reason I went with the M-Unit.

Interesting, do you have any more details on that, so I can see whether I can source one. As the fuse system isn't ideal and I would prefer not to have to worry about carrying a spare fuse.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 18 Mar 2016 12:42 #716057

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 18 Mar 2016 14:12 #716066

• Gordy
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: here's some
www.delcity.net/store/Auto-Reset-Circuit...ZIKjH-Rw8aAstA8P8HAQ

leon

Thanks a lot. Interestingly they only seem to being sold in the US or Oz. Not found a uk supplier yet. I've ordered a blade style one instead to see if that would be better than my current setup.

The Shorai battery has turned up and blooming hell it's tiny. Weighs next to nothing too. I've spent some time today planning on where to put things, still not 100% on everything yet. Current plan is to make a battery tray and fix it to the crossmember that the rear shock hangs off. Then have the motogadget vertically mounted on one side of the frame. I think that would work best but I need to try it out and see.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 19 Mar 2016 09:53 #716159

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
Wow Gordy this has been a really great read and impressed with your fabrication and skills putting all of this together! Thanks for sharing all the thoughts as well as pics, you have a beautiful family and quite the amazing wife to be so supportive of all of this too! I am blessed with my wife supporting my obsession with my bike and have a 3 year old "quality control inspector" like your little guy BWAHAHA

Really love the look of those new forks and the electrical items should be really trick and (hopefully!) fix the rest of your electrical gremlins, best of luck Gordy!

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 19 Mar 2016 11:56 #716169

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

Gordy wrote:

531blackbanshee wrote: here's some
www.delcity.net/store/Auto-Reset-Circuit...ZIKjH-Rw8aAstA8P8HAQ

leon

Thanks a lot. Interestingly they only seem to being sold in the US or Oz. Not found a uk supplier yet. I've ordered a blade style one instead to see if that would be better than my current setup.

The Shorai battery has turned up and blooming hell it's tiny. Weighs next to nothing too. I've spent some time today planning on where to put things, still not 100% on everything yet. Current plan is to make a battery tray and fix it to the crossmember that the rear shock hangs off. Then have the motogadget vertically mounted on one side of the frame. I think that would work best but I need to try it out and see.

If you can't find the relay let me know and I can buy one here and send it to you. As for mounting, I made a tray that sits under the seat. I also bought a LiPo battery, super small and light weight.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 19 Mar 2016 12:05 #716170

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
If you have an eBay account this guy ships world wide.
pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171697873453&alt=web
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 20 Mar 2016 02:54 #716284

• Gordy
  • User

kaw-a-holic wrote: If you can't find the relay let me know and I can buy one here and send it to you. As for mounting, I made a tray that sits under the seat. I also bought a LiPo battery, super small and light weight.

Thanks that is so kind. I've got this blade one on it's way. I will see how it looks and see whether it's going to work before deciding on the next path.

I've decided against mounting the battery to the seat as with my previous battery that made wiring everything much trickier. If I have it all in the frame I can remove the seat for quick access. That's the plan anyway!

kaw-a-holic wrote: If you have an eBay account this guy ships world wide.
pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171697873453&alt=web

Many thanks. I think the KZ650 requires a 20 amp one. I've found a few on ebay, but they are all in the US and the shipping fees are three times the cost of the item. Plus you get stung with import duty sometimes, plus the fees that royal mail charge. It would make a cheap item eye watering :(

Irish-Kawi wrote: Wow Gordy this has been a really great read and impressed with your fabrication and skills putting all of this together! Thanks for sharing all the thoughts as well as pics, you have a beautiful family and quite the amazing wife to be so supportive of all of this too! I am blessed with my wife supporting my obsession with my bike and have a 3 year old "quality control inspector" like your little guy BWAHAHA

Really love the look of those new forks and the electrical items should be really trick and (hopefully!) fix the rest of your electrical gremlins, best of luck Gordy!

Brett

Wow don't know what to say, many thanks for the kind words. My littlest loves my motorbike, any chance to sit on it and make motorbike noises he takes.

78 KZ650 Mono Rear Shock Cafe/Brat Style 24 Mar 2016 12:37 #717144

• Gordy
  • User
A quickish update. I'm still waiting on parts to start the rewire. I'm hoping my birthday tomorrow brings some shiny treats for the bike....

The Shorai Battery arrived and I was blown away by it's size and weight.

New vs Old

Next to the m-unit it also looks so tiny.

In the meantime I got to work building the battery mounting box. I'm fabricating this out of sheet aluminium. After a couple of sketch drawings I got to work using the bending brake.

A quick test fit.