Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Project 82 GPz750 28 Mar 2016 03:59 #717720

• GKBO
  • GKBO's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
  • Thank you received: 10

GPzMOD750 wrote: Model paints and a toothpick or a small brush with a small amount of paint and wipe off quickly.

Are those things embossed on your GPz?My lettering is on flat surfaces.If they where embossed it would be easy.Engraving it with a dremel tool is a possibility but 1 slip would be really bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Project 82 GPz750 28 Mar 2016 06:16 #717723

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Well crap, They are on the actual switches but not on the housing. Well. you know what they're for. ;)

Mine are going to be replaced shortly regardless. Besides being functional they are in about the same shape as yours.

Project 82 GPz750 28 Mar 2016 07:13 #717727

• tri650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I bought stickers from somewhere and then shot a coat of clear matt over the top. I ended up painting my switch housings a satin black as they were in bad shape. I will look through my receipts and see where I got the stickers. It was some vintage decal store. They weren't an exact match to the 82 but close enough.

Project 82 GPz750 28 Mar 2016 12:13 #717786

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
After getting most of the clear off the left side I'm loathed to put ant on the right.I't's also funny that the HORN is still intact on the left but a simple washing swept the Off RUN OFF away :S Going to see if we might luck out at the local craft store having dry transfer lettering the right size in white.As it is now I'm not worrying about redoing the HORN.Figured out the horn switch was missing it's 2 1/8th inch ball bearings,now I'm REALLY glad the guy at the bicycle shop gave me 2 extra's.

Project 82 GPz750 03 Apr 2016 17:36 #719101

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

A BIG one off the list :cheer: Degreased the frame a couple of weeks ago. I wire brushed off most of the rust then used my spot sand blaster to get the bits the brush couldn't get to.Then sprayed on 2 coats of this www.rustoleum.ca/product-catalog/consume...alty/appliance-epoxy .Used it before and it's great frame paint!Se the last post here www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/601411-s...eeve-on-my-82-gpz750 and this has come to with some bearings coming from China .

Last edit: by GKBO. Reason: Added info

Project 82 GPz750 04 Apr 2016 10:14 #719223

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes

The Back To Black made the pods look way better.Just have to see about getting some lettering,if it's a PITA like it looks to be they'll have to do.

The "new" pivot bolt looks great compared to the old one on the top!

Project 82 GPz750 04 Apr 2016 14:45 #719257

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
Went to put my forks together and noticed a problem with the new stanchion (middle one)

An inch shorter, :angry:

Ends are different to.There's no air hole either.Off an earlier or later KZ750?Mid run change?Mad at myself for not checking to be sure before they where sent.Now WTF to do?

Last edit: by GKBO.

Project 82 GPz750 07 Apr 2016 17:26 #719786

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes

Got the NOS 78-9 KZ750 twin sleeve today.About 6mm total shorter,3mm on each side.Not sure that's enough of a difference to cut it and put a shim cut off the original or to just leave it .

Project 82 GPz750 07 Apr 2016 21:48 #719826

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
The pivot spacer length needs to be pretty exact. When you bolt it in it turns into a structural part of the bike and any slop here will be directly translated to the rear wheel. Its not unheard of for people to oversize the bolt and shim the spaces on the sides of the pivot. if you do shim it it needs to be quite snug in the frame.

Project 82 GPz750 08 Apr 2016 03:31 #719834

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
OK a shim it is,Was thinking of s shim on the ends rather than cutting the new sleeve.Problem is the old sleeve is so pitted that won't work.Will cut the insert a little longer so I can grind it down.The other thought is that I have washer type suspension shims off some scrapped 83 GS750's that I could make fit.Would rather not cut the new sleeve.

Project 82 GPz750 08 Apr 2016 23:13 #720005

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
I personally would have a machine shop make them for me, or you could use washers.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Project 82 GPz750 22 Apr 2016 17:40 #722431

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
Was worried about taking my "new" shocks apart to see if they where worth more than place keepers www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/602091-8...shock-spring-removal .Seems I didn't need to :woohoo: