Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Grumpy's baby 21 Mar 2014 05:32 #626001

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • Grumpy Ole Artist's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
  • Thank you received: 62
Sorry about that, Dumont! LOL! It is actually quite a bit louder than what I was hoping it would be...Was told that the street baffle is pretty quiet...I have since discovered that "quiet" is a relative term! I really liked the sneaky quiet of the original exhaust...Let the cops chase the noisy guys all over town... well I have become what I beheld, I guess...looks "unbalanced" also...all the pipes on one side...kiinda asymmetrical....Shiny though! (What kinda shape is your stock exhaust in?Hmmmm...) LOL!
(edit:) Got her out and about this weekend...got a sticky shifter to figure out/fix, but alotta fun!
1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Grumpy Ole Artist. Reason: added pic

Grumpy's baby 27 Mar 2014 08:51 #626749

• GA Joe
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Love it man, sounds great, looks great, and the F-150 looks great too. What year is it? Can't tell since I can't see the headlights. I used to have an 85 with a 302 and an 86 with the i-300 straight 6, 3 on the tree. Miss those trucks.

Grumpy's baby 27 Mar 2014 09:03 #626751

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
Thanx Joe! My boy just brought the F-150 home from Brookville, Indiana last week...It's a 1988 with 120 k on the clock...It is pretty pretty clean for it's age...300 straight six, five speed on the floor. Cab corners and rear wheel fender lips are the only "iffy" spots on it..He's pretty happy with it! Thanx again!
1978 KZ650 B2

Grumpy's baby 27 Mar 2014 09:46 #626752

• KowalskiCW
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Man Grumpy its coming along great. I have to say after hearing that maybe I will stick with my stock 4-2. I'd feel pretty bad waking up my neighbors at 6:45am everyday with something like that! haha It looks damn cool though.

Grumpy's baby 27 Mar 2014 10:08 #626756

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Grumpy, you have done a great job saving and restoring this bike. I do not know how I missed this thread. :pinch: I am in Illinois and found my 650 in Defiance, OH. It was neglected for years in a sand blast shop but not left outside like yours. Again, Congrats on sticking with it and reaping the rewards.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Grumpy's baby 27 Mar 2014 10:58 #626764

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
Thanx, guys! I appreciate the kind words! Kowalski, being inside the garage certainly doesn't make it seem any quieter! At idle, it's not bad at all..but if your neighbors are real close (or lacking a sense of humor, LOL!) it MIGHT be a problem...I really liked the "sneaky" quality it had with the original exhaust...I don't know if I am alone in this, but, back in the day, I noticed that Kaws had a different exhaust note than the rest of the big 4 UJM makers...None of the rest stood apart from the others (to my ears anyway!) but the Kawasaki just has a throaty, kinda "mid-rangesque" howl at rpm's ...kind of a "Waaahhhhh" if you know what I mean. (and, taking into consideration just WHERE it is that I am posting this, I think you all do, lOL!) Forrest, thanx also for the compliment! She is 10x better looking now than when I started, but are they ever REALLY "done"? The camera loves her, but the paint is just silver base, candy blue over, no fire airbrushing, no pinstripes, no clear....Not even wetsanded...Truly a work in progress! Can't stand to have her apart for long when it's riding weather, and can't paint in the cold over winter...But if A: you don't look TOO closely, or B: I am screaming down the road at 60, she looks pretty dern good! In all honesty, I love the looks I get out on her...I can't tell y'all how long it has been since I had vehicle that got a "thumbs up" from a passing motorist...It does feel really great...I might not have the prettiest or fastest bike in town, but I've got one of the oldest...And I have ALWAYS had a deep and abiding appreciation for things old! Saw this elsewhere on the boards, but I second the motion for some sort of midwestern get-together...I think she's about ready for a road trip! Thanx again, all!
1978 KZ650 B2

Grumpy's baby 27 Mar 2014 12:37 #626772

• Dumont
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Love your sentiment here. I always get a lot of looks and comments while riding my Duc but I am REALLY surprised how many people have some kind of emaotional tie to these Ol'KZ's. Constantly get "I had one of those" or "My Brother had one of those". Always brings a smile to my face.

BTW, I think the stock exhaust is nice, but thinking a 4 into 1 would finish it off for me...

Scott
78 KZ650(Project)
09 Monster 1100s
07 Monster S2R1000 sold
97 Daytona T595 sold
95 KX250 sold
82 GPz 550 sold
87 Ninja ZX10r sold
79 KZ650csr sold
82 CR250 sold

Grumpy's baby 27 Mar 2014 14:07 #626794

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

Grumpy Ole Artist wrote: Thanx, guys! I appreciate the kind words! ..............................................................And I have ALWAYS had a deep and abiding appreciation for things old! Saw this elsewhere on the boards, but I second the motion for some sort of midwestern get-together...I think she's about ready for a road trip! Thanx again, all!

You are welcome. Respect what you have done here. Now as far as a midwestern get-together, just pick a location, some dates and invite us. You might be surprised who shows up. :evil:

If you are really ambitious this summer I suggest looking into this. >>> www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/59...can-relay-rally-2014

Grumpy's baby 27 Mar 2014 15:46 #626813

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
Forrest, I have been eyeballing that Colorado thread! There is a little "and then came Bronson" bone in me somewhere that SCREAMS for an epic road trip like that! (I have extended family in colorado springs, actuallllyl..hmmm!) Unfortunately, I don't think I have wherewithal to pull that off. I've yet to accomplish that item on my bucket list...spent countless entire days behind the handlebars over the years, but home each night. A long weekend into indiana might be fun! Got a brand new tent....(mebbe I better replace the coils before I head out into the wild!) I read that the flag went right by me on the way to celina....dernit! Thanx for all the help/support! Would NOT have been able to get this far without this awesome resource! If something doesn't change here pretty soon, I'm gonna have to change my screen name...I am as tickled as I have been in years!
1978 KZ650 B2

Grumpy's baby 31 Mar 2014 06:17 #627180

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
Finally, a little decent weather around here! No wrenching this weekend, just riding!
1978 KZ650 B2
Attachments:

Grumpy's baby 31 Mar 2014 06:25 #627182

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
Finally, a little decent weather around here! No wrenching this weekend, just riding!
1978 KZ650 B2
Attachments:

Grumpy's baby 31 Mar 2014 06:31 #627184

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Bike is looking good! B) I got out and rode into Indiana with a riding buddy and met Les on that crazy turbo of his. 445 miles for me, a bit long for the first ride of the season but other than a couple of cramps a great day. Started out n 25 degree roads and saw 55 mid afternoon.

If you are really considering The Relay Rally post up there. There is someone from PA looking to ride and another from N.E. Canada. They may well be looking for riding buddies or may have a truck/trailer. Sure would be great to see you scratch that off your bucket list.