Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'80 KZ750E cafe build 09 Mar 2015 04:46 #663814

• motomadlin32
  • motomadlin32's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the links I'll be digging into those today :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'80 KZ750E cafe build 09 Mar 2015 14:28 #663884

• motomadlin32
  • User
Just finished wet sanding the imperfections (bug, dust and paint drops from the spray can) picture of the pieces wet. Hope to achieve a finish like this after I finish laying down rest of the paint and clear. Lots of wet sanding and buffing ahead. Never painted anything like this but in confident in a good end result
Attachments:

'80 KZ750E cafe build 11 Mar 2015 16:21 #664124

• motomadlin32
  • User
Sorry to bring up the valve clearance thing again. I messed up somewhere and my clearances are still not right (I may or may not have forgotten to check that the cam caps were torqued down to speck before measuring and ordering shims lol) anyways this is where they sit now with the caps torqued down. A kept sending my measurements to the shop that did the work on the bike but he told me I need to measure in thousands not mm. I'm guessing this give a more accurate reading of what the clearances are. The valves that have two reading by them are the measurements I took after going through all of them a few times. The larger measurement is very tight and barley fits and the smaller measurement goes in with minimal resistance. Let me know what you guys think.
Attachments:

Last edit: by motomadlin32.

'80 KZ750E cafe build 12 Mar 2015 13:56 #664218

• motomadlin32
  • User
Still needs one more coat of paint then wet sanding and clear this weekend. Couldn't help but place the parts on the bike to see what it's gonna look like :)
Attachments:

'80 KZ750E cafe build 18 Apr 2015 12:30 #668555

• motomadlin32
  • User
I got my head pulled off and am looking for input on what else I should look at replacing while in at this point. Thinking about doing valve stem seals and head gasket. Anything else I should take care of while I'm at this point with it

'80 KZ750E cafe build 19 Apr 2015 12:37 #668709

• motomadlin32
  • User
Started cleaning up the combustion chamber and pulled the cylinder block off.
Attachments:

'80 KZ750E cafe build 19 Apr 2015 13:37 #668722

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Well that escalated quickly. :cheer: low compression?

motomadlin32 wrote: I got my head pulled off and am looking for input on what else I should look at replacing while in at this point. Thinking about doing valve stem seals and head gasket. Anything else I should take care of while I'm at this point with it

do those for sure, couldn't hurt to lap the valves while your in there. inspect the cam chain and idlers very closely as well. going overbore?

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

'80 KZ750E cafe build 24 Apr 2015 14:07 #669432

• motomadlin32
  • User
Compression is good but both the head gasket and base gasket started leaking when I took it on a ride. But now I'm in another pickle lol that base gasket is baked on there and is not coming off without a fight. Any advice? I'm concerned that too much stuff is gonna fall into the engine. And trying to clean the gasket off around the studs is very difficult. How do you remove the studs without damaging them?
Attachments:

'80 KZ750E cafe build 24 Apr 2015 14:24 #669433

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
I pulled my oil pan and sprayed the insides out with carb cleaner and wd-40 along with a couple cans of brake cleaner ... got it really a lot cleaner than I thought possible. Replaced the oil pump screen too.

I didn't pull the studs as I was worried about damaging the threads. I did pull the motor so it might be a little harder in the frame (I was able to flip it over that way a couple times so that helped spraying it out too) but am thinking you can get out most.

I too felt I dropped too much into the motor to leave it..... stuffing rags around the openings helped but not that much.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

'80 KZ750E cafe build 24 Apr 2015 15:43 #669442

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Stuff some old shopping bags in the holes, the thin kind you get at the grocery store, they wont leave fibers like rags. Cram as many as you can get in there for a good seal. You can use a razor to shave off the gasket, but be careful not to damage the mating surface. I use a scotch bright disk either in a cordless drill or my pneumatic sander. It removes the gasket very easily without damaging the surface.

You can pull the studs, but If i did that i would replace them with some heavy duty APE studs, this will allow you to tighten the head down tighter, as well.

If you sealed the holes properly you can hit it with a blast of air and most of the particles will be blown off, followed by vacuuming all over the bags before removing them. If your concerned about stuff getting in the pan after this you can do as KZB2 suggested and drop the pan and spray solvent down there to blast stuff out.

heres a link to the studs
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...%2f750&item=APCS650K

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

'80 KZ750E cafe build 24 Apr 2015 17:48 #669453

• motomadlin32
  • User
Thanks for the input guys! Those are good tips. I'll get back at it tomorrow. It makes me feel better that someone has gone through it before and came out the other end lol I was feeling a bit hopeless today. Damn near pulled the engine and tore it apart lol it's been a two year project and this is my only bike. After putting $6k into I'm to the point that I just want to start riding the damn thing. I'll keep the updates coming with some good progress. Hopefully