Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'80 KZ750E cafe build 30 Oct 2013 13:10 #611618

• motomadlin32
  • motomadlin32's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone picked up this basket case about a month ago for $250. The guy had already started painting everything but wasn't quit up to the standard I wanted. This will be my first project and I want to do it right. So far I've de-tabbed the frame and chopped the rear end. Started grinding down the welds and began mocking up the bike. Next step is to get it started but unfortunately I didn't get all the parts and now I'm waiting for the guy to send me the rest. As far as I know I'm missing the swing arm carb covers/bowls wiring harness and I'm sure I'll find more lol
Lucky for me I do have a friend that's knowledgeable about motorcycles and is helping me thorough the process cause I know very little. All input advice and answered questions are really appreciated. I'm hoping to finish the project before I deploy next July.

Sorry if I posted too many pictures just wanted to catch up. I really want to thoroughly document the whole process and hope I can catch the interest of a couple of you haha
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by motomadlin32.

'79 KZ750E cafe build 30 Oct 2013 14:13 #611624

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
You're probably going to need to add a cross-brace there at the tail end of the frame.
1980 was the first year for the 750E.
Hopefully you have the title.

'79 KZ750E cafe build 30 Oct 2013 17:45 #611653

• motomadlin32
  • User
Unfortunately no title just bill of sale. Figured I'd cross that bridge when I got there. Here's a picture of the vin tag on the frame numbers matching on the motor. Plan on putting in a tail hoop and extra bracing from front to back along where the seat pan will be.
Attachments:

Last edit: by motomadlin32.

'79 KZ750E cafe build 31 Oct 2013 05:42 #611679

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The VIN shows the date of mfg, not the model year.
I would get the title squared away before spending much more money on it.

'79 KZ750E cafe build 31 Oct 2013 07:05 #611691

• Stazi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Considering it was built in 12/79, it's actually a 1980 and not a 1979, but the VIN which is also on the goose neck will clear that up.
82 KZ1000-K2 LTD

'79 KZ750E cafe build 31 Oct 2013 13:56 #611734

• ahernandez74
  • User
Wow thats a tricky one. How do you think you'll be able to get the title?

'79 KZ750E cafe build 31 Oct 2013 14:14 #611737

• nitrokeeb
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Depends on the state. I bought a '76 Corvette with only a bill of sale. I titled it in Tennessee and it was pretty easy. I just had to fill out a form for certificate of title and supply the bill of sale. If the car had been under thirty years old it would have been more difficult. You have to go through a process including putting an add in the paper requiring anyone with interest in vehicle with VIN XXXXXXXX to step forward by a certain date. If no one comes forward with a title, you can get one.
1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine

'79 KZ750E cafe build 31 Oct 2013 18:03 #611769

• motomadlin32
  • User
From what I understand I need to get the bill of sale notarized and if it's not in the DMV system anymore the process is a bit easier I just have to take it to the hwy patrol inspection place to do a vin check and if it's not reported stolen and I pass the road worthiness inspection then I can apply for a provisional title (3yr title) and if nobody comes forward after three years I will be issued a full title in my name. I haven't done much research I'm going to go talk to the CA DMV and see what it would take but my intentions are to register it in WA (military stationed out of state of residency). So I'll get that squared away and update you guys on the process incase anyone else runs into the same issue.

'79 KZ750E cafe build 03 Nov 2013 10:33 #611944

• motomadlin32
  • User
Got the motor started this weekend :) the wiring harness was a mess but with some know how from my friend we were able to get just the wires needed to start the motor. First step to making our own wiring harness. Also in going to go pick up the rest of the parts from the guy I got the bike from and follow up with what I might need to get the bike titled. Hopefully today I will be able to finish mocking up the bike and have a rolling chassis that's running :) every step I get more anxious to get this thing done but patience will pay off in the end.

'80 KZ750E cafe build 08 Nov 2013 10:43 #612479

• motomadlin32
  • User
Sooo after talking to the DMV the bike is still in the system so the good news is I won't have to do an inspection. On the other hand it hasn't been registered since 2002. I also need to get a new bill of sale from the guy I bought it from and the bill of sale he got from the owner before him. DMV did say I can write up a statement of fact from how I got the bike and the guy I bought it from needs to do one as well. With that I can request the registration fees to be reduced but as of right now the fees are a whopping $624. But least I know I will be able to register the bike and get a title!! So I'm happy about that.

'80 KZ750E cafe build 09 Nov 2013 19:33 #612659

• motomadlin32
  • User
B) picked up another kz today!! It's an 81 kz750e ($300) initially it was gonna be a parts bike but after seeing the condition it may become the build bike. We're gonna try to get it started tonight so fingures crossed

'80 KZ750E cafe build 10 Nov 2013 00:52 #612676

• lightitup
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
if you have the title for the one u just picked up i would use that one for the build
81 kz 550 ltd