Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 24 Jun 2016 17:50 #732711

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Looks like the face plate warped with heat. Might be able to heat it up to make it relax. Electronic tach?
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 24 Jun 2016 18:39 #732718

• Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 24
I guess I could try passing over it with a heat gun to see if that relaxes it any. For all I can remember, I may have taken it off the bike after sitting out in the hot Summer sun, then threw it in a box while the face was soft. It's been almost three years since that was taken apart.

Yeah I'm pretty sure both the speedo and tach are electronic, there weren't any cables going up to them, just the wiring.
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 24 Jun 2016 18:42 #732719

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I saw the circuit board. That may be what happened.
Steve

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 24 Jun 2016 18:55 #732721

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
Well, maybe you could try a blow dryer to warm up the plastic and hopefully it'll lay back down, soft, then clothes pin it in an inconspicuous place until it cools. I dunno. Just thinking aloud...

Oh you have that filing system for your bike's parts too?
Me too! ;)
Attachments:

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 24 Jun 2016 21:25 #732733

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
@wrenchmonkey - haha that looks familiar! Now put some parts on the patio, some parts behind the garage, hell spread a few through the house. Seriously, it's a miracle I can find anything at all, and yet somehow I do keep finding the parts I need, and somehow figure out where they're supposed to go (mostly). Luckily a lot of it is fairly self-explanatory, even though there's at least one area where I think I'm missing something and I still haven't figured out what... There's a Kaw tag on the forks, and behind that sits the splitter for the front brakes. The screws that hold the tag are only supposed to be 45mm, however I have nearly that much gap between the back of the tag and the front of the brake unit. There's no question how the tag is supposed to sit against the forks, and the brake unit seems to sit flush against the triple-tree, so I'm not sure what is supposed to fit in the gap.

Regarding the speedo, I slid the unit back inside the front face, and I can see a line on the raised portion of the face that was rubbing the inside of the glass, but it doesn't actually push the face back down flat when assembled. Because of that line, though, I'd say the face has been warped like that for awhile, so I'm a bit relieved that I didn't actually screw it up. I'm actually thinking now about the amount of heat it must have taken to warp that. Keep in mind these parts were made with the assumption that they would be left out in the sunlight, however I'm at high altitude so the effects of the sun are just a bit more focused. It will be really interesting to see what I find when I pull apart the tach.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 25 Jun 2016 06:29 #732741

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
Hey Dragon :)

First the fork name plate issue. Look here:

This is a pic of my '82 KZ1000 CSR. There is this little plate which is bolted with the from hydraulic splitter to the forks and it has the receiver holes for those smaller screws which hold the name plate. So check those other organized piles of parts for it...

Funny thing is I looked for this part for hours one day for KZombie. The 650 didn't have this name plate when I got it so I figured it was just another part that was absconded with before I bought it (was missing many front end pieces) but after much searching through my organized mess and then some online hunting, I came to the realization that this particular model year of '650 didn't even come with a name plate here. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ever feel like you're running on a treadmill? :pinch:

I may be wrong, as I often am, but this plate may also have a screw which secures to the base of the headlamp bucket too. Others here on the forum may be able to shed more light on this plate's exact setup when properly installed but I do know it holds that name plate in front of your hydraulic splitter assembly...

As to the "organized mess" of parts piled by like function; in the midst of my disassembly of the bike (and at the point where the bike couldn't be dismantled any further save for removing the wheels). We moved. So I had to pile all my organized mess into a 33gal plastic tub. Goodbye to my knowing which pile had which components! However, like you, I was still able to put humpty back together again by basically, pulling all those parts from the single tub (now at the new house) and making piles again but it did create one extra pile - The mystery pile - which I often had to refer to when assembling anything else later. "Dang it.. I know I had this fizzgig whatchamacallit? It's gotta be in the mystery pile! ;)
Attachments:

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 25 Jun 2016 06:51 #732744

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The earlier models didn't have the cover. I always hated looking at the splitter and wires so I got one for a 1100 and made my own bracket.
Steve

Attachments:

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 25 Jun 2016 08:35 #732757

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Thanks guys, but yeah I do have that plate on top of the brake splitter, which is exactly what the nametag plate screws to. Note that I did *not* have the name plate with any of the bike parts I got, so I had to pick one up. I've re-checked several times on ebay, and all the ones I've found advertised for the '81 models (and the drawing in the parts diagram) look identical to the piece I have, and the parts diagram doesn't show anything else there which would make the brake splitter stick out further.. I'll try to get a good clean shot of that particular issue sometime today, but I can see from wrenchmonkey's that on your model the brake splitter sticks out in front of the forks, while mine with the plate in place are nearly flush with the front edge of the forks. Very odd.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 26 Jun 2016 14:49 #732916

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
All right, let's start out with the triple-tree itself. In looking through various pictures of the 81's, it looks like there were two different style of the lower triple. I think the name plate I got goes with the one which is more straight across, while mine has a very definite V-shape to it...

(Son of a.... trying to insert pictures, it submits the message instead of inserting when I hit the enter key. Not only that, but I just spent the last 20 minutes to finish typing my update, only to be told my message had too many links AND the entire new message was completely lost. So here I go again...)

OK, the pic of the lower triple-tree:

Now, the space behind my nameplate where you can see the screw threads. It's not a huge deal, I can get nylon spacers to take up the gap, however someone has obviously placed LTD forks on a J frame, so it would be nice to identify all the frankenstein parts in case I need to do repairs down the road...

OK I'll start a new message for the rest of the updates.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

Last edit: by Shdwdrgn.

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 26 Jun 2016 15:37 #732922

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Next up today, I finished baking the engine case pieces. A bit of wet-sanding took down the 'dry' areas, leaving a nice clean finish.

The outdoor shots kind of washed out the color contrast, so here's an indoor shot that better represents the actual color, and you can clearly see the difference between the original aluminum and the cast-iron paint color:

First shot on the bike:

And even with the colors washed out in the sun, I still really like the contrast with the black. Plus it blends nicely with the little bit of chrome still showing.

This shot shows why I really liked this color. The cast-iron looks like it has silver metal-flake in it, and it sparkles in the sun, however if you look at the full-size image below, you'll see it is actually reflecting red, yellow, and blue colors across the surface, giving it a nice rich color outside.

( Here's the full-size image if you want to see it )

Unfortunately I'm not quite done yet. While finishing the wet-sanding, I noticed the top half of the crank case has some areas where I didn't get the primer covered in paint. These are spots that will show when the engine is fully assembled, so I need to wait until later in the week, mask off and paint that piece again, then wait a few more days and bake it. It will probably be another couple weeks before I can start putting the engine back together again, but it would suck to leave it looking like this. Guess it'll give me some time to start working on those other pieces that will take a long time to paint.

I tried playing with the air brush today. I failed. I found this paint yesterday that was a nice antique-copper color, which I thought would go well over the black for making scales. Well the color is a bit too coppery, needs more yellow to it. Maybe I can make use of the burnt-orange spray paint? But the worst of it was in trying to actually paint. The paint was thinned to 50%, but it came out gummy, and made a mess in the air brush. Apparently this is why some people strain their paint before using it in an air brush. Oh well lesson learned. I've had this brush for more than 25 years, and never really did much with it, so now I need to really start reading up on it and figure out what I can do to make various paint work properly through it. Sorry, no pics unless you want to see something on the ground that looks like copper snot, but I'll get it figured out here soon.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 26 Jun 2016 15:45 #732926

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Checking through the various photos I took, this one came out good too and does a better job of contrasting the colors. At the moment the bike is looking very monochromatic :)
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 26 Jun 2016 17:02 #732935

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
And yet another update... Trying to slip that rubber gasket back around the speedo housing really sucks, but I finally got it. Then I tried washing down the glass with alcohol -- that's not going very well. There's a foggy area around the outside edge I can't seem to make any progress on, and it feels like there's two small chips on the inside of the glass. With my luck, I'll probably get the thing reassembled and the crimp ring back in place, only to discover a cat hair inside the glass.
1981 KZ1000-JK1