Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 14:16 #605028

• SonicVenum
  • SonicVenum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

koolaid_kid wrote: Here is the one I use: Mikuni carb rebuild tutorial
The only issue you will have is the o-rings. The ones for a GS are not the same. If you decide to do it, I can try and locate the ones I used. I got them a McMasterCarr, btw.

That's the exact one I downloaded last night! I found it in a link from one of your other posts. Thanks! :cheer:

uncle nick wrote: Cool looking bike.

I'd like pods and 4-1 for my CSR.

Yeah, I got lucky the bike already had a few things done to it. I thought it was going to be bone stock. I'm a big guy (6'3", 300lbs), so I could use the extra grunt.

Mcdroid wrote: I also like the 1982 GPz model...some parts are hard to source (like the grab bar) but do pop up on eBay.

I think I got pretty lucky. As far as I can tell, the only thing I'll need is the right hand control.

WildBill86 wrote: Nice find!! Great bike. I have the '83. I also rock the vance&hines 4 into 1 on mine. I love the way they sound :evil: ...Neighbors prolly not so much haha. Look forward to see how she comes out.

baldy110 wrote: Good score on a rare one year only bike.

Thanks! I was very happy when I found out this is what I was getting. Initially, my co-worker told me it was a '78 Kawi 750. So, I searched around and thought it was the KZ750 twin. I thought, "Ok, I like that." But, then he found the title and gave me the correct year and VIN. I was happier once I saw what a GPz looked like. It wasn't until I researched it more that I found out this bike was only configured this way for one year.
1982 GPz-750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 17:45 #605071

• SonicVenum
  • User

WildBill86 wrote: Nice find!! Great bike. I have the '83. I also rock the vance&hines 4 into 1 on mine. I love the way they sound :evil: ...Neighbors prolly not so much haha. Look forward to see how she comes out.

Yeah, I'm really happy the bike came with that setup. My '93 ZX-11 (D1) had the same full V&H 4-1 and it sounded awesome. Thanks! I'll keep this thread updated as I make progress. Phase 1: Get 'er running again.

geohaydook1 wrote: Good catch! I had one and wish I'd never sold it!

Thanks! If this bike turns out well and I fit comfortably on it for extended periods, I'll be keeping it and selling my ZRX-1200R.
1982 GPz-750

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 18:00 #605074

• SonicVenum
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationCan anyone speak on the quality of this rebuild kit?

1982 GPz-750

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 18:02 #605075

• Hawaii_Z1R
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Excellent foundation to have a wonderful rider. Real classic for sure. Some elbow grease and polish and you'll have a great machine. Congrats, thanks for the pictures, and welcome! Really amazing to me how Z1R-like those bikes are :)
1978 Z1R
1976 KZ900
2017 Versys 300X
2021 CT125

Last edit: by Hawaii_Z1R.

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 19:02 #605089

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

SonicVenum wrote: Can anyone speak on the quality of this rebuild kit?

Absolutely. You do NOT need it. All you need to do is follow the instructions in the Rebuild tutorial, replace the o-rings and the fuel bowl gaskets. Everything else will be fine if you follow the tutorial.
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 19:42 #605097

• SonicVenum
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Hawaii_Z1R wrote: Excellent foundation to have a wonderful rider. Real classic for sure. Some elbow grease and polish and you'll have a great machine. Congrats, thanks for the pictures, and welcome! Really amazing to me how Z1R-like those bikes are :)

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping for! I'll be taking plenty more pictures as I go along. I'll keep this thread updated.

koolaid_kid wrote:

SonicVenum wrote: Can anyone speak on the quality of this rebuild kit?

Absolutely. You do NOT need it. All you need to do is follow the instructions in the Rebuild tutorial, replace the o-rings and the fuel bowl gaskets. Everything else will be fine if you follow the tutorial.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you happen to know what size o-rings are needed for the GPz? I found the McMaster-Carr page with the Viton O-rings.
1982 GPz-750

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 21:35 #605106

• koolaid_kid
  • User

SonicVenum wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Do you happen to know what size o-rings are needed for the GPz? I found the McMaster-Carr page with the Viton O-rings.

LOL. That was almost two years ago. You'll have to do it the same way I did it. Take your digital caliper and measure the ID of each place that has an o-ring, then measure the width. Do a few simple calculations and you should have your number. I do remember that one or two of them were a bit tight in diameter, but slipped on fine with a little silicone grease. Sold as Gunk Plumber's silicone grease; I got mine at Lowes.
If you do not have a digital caliper, now is the time for a new tool. Got mine at Harbor Freight for $20.
1983 GPz 750

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 22:19 #605111

• koolaid_kid
  • User
If you decide to order the o-rings, you can set up your own cottage industry like a guy on GSR. Sell the sets of rings to members here. Here is his web site. All you would need to sell is the orings, but you could easily get your money back. At least sell the remaining ones, since McMasterCarr only sells them in quantities of 50 or 100.
1983 GPz 750

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 23:50 #605124

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

koolaid_kid wrote: If you decide to order the o-rings, you can set up your own cottage industry like a guy on GSR. Sell the sets of rings to members here. Here is his web site. All you would need to sell is the orings, but you could easily get your money back. At least sell the remaining ones, since McMasterCarr only sells them in quantities of 50 or 100.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISING IS STRICTLY LIMITED
KZrider.com is not a place for you to solicit sales of any kind. No member is allowed to refer to their own business, or any business to which he/she is associated, through the discussion forum or personal messaging system (U2U). There are three exceptions: 1. As permitted in Classifieds (consumer-to-consumer transactions). 2. Each member is allowed a simple link (somesite.com) in their signature, which link shall include no description of any kind. 3. Paying advertisers are allowed to post in the Vendor forum.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

'82 GPz-750 05 Sep 2013 23:59 #605127

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

SonicVenum wrote: ... only thing I'll need is the right hand control....

Could consider posting a want ad in KZr's Classifieds forum.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

'82 GPz-750 06 Sep 2013 00:28 #605133

• SonicVenum
  • User
Koolaid, thanks for the tip! I love Harbor Freight. It's God's gift to gear heads on a budget. :cheer:

Patton, thanks. Koolaid had one available and we already set something up.
1982 GPz-750

'82 GPz-750 06 Sep 2013 00:41 #605137

• koolaid_kid
  • User

Patton wrote:

koolaid_kid wrote: If you decide to order the o-rings, you can set up your own cottage industry like a guy on GSR. Sell the sets of rings to members here. Here is his web site. All you would need to sell is the orings, but you could easily get your money back. At least sell the remaining ones, since McMasterCarr only sells them in quantities of 50 or 100.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISING IS STRICTLY LIMITED
KZrider.com is not a place for you to solicit sales of any kind. No member is allowed to refer to their own business, or any business to which he/she is associated, through the discussion forum or personal messaging system (U2U). There are three exceptions: 1. As permitted in Classifieds (consumer-to-consumer transactions). 2. Each member is allowed a simple link (somesite.com) in their signature, which link shall include no description of any kind. 3. Paying advertisers are allowed to post in the Vendor forum.

My apologies.
1983 GPz 750