Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 29 Jun 2015 09:46 #678701

• KowalskiCW
  • KowalskiCW's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
<iframe src="onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=4EDE6FC3C09F...hkey=AEVhbQa23CJSm0Q" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no">
<iframe src="onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=4EDE6FC3C09F...hkey=APEbT1O35HGy9TQ" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 29 Jun 2015 09:54 #678702

• KowalskiCW
  • User
Grrrr this never gave me trouble before. Here

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 01 Jul 2015 10:11 #678955

• KowalskiCW
  • User
More progress. All I have left is get the gas plumbed up, get the pods on, get the exhaust on and front fender and try to fire it up. First time in 2 years! Extremely excited for this weekend when I should have it running. :)

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 06 Jul 2015 06:22 #679617

• KowalskiCW
  • User
Well the inevitable happened. I got it all back together and was ready to fire it up for the first time in 2 years and not one damn thing went well.

Gas was leaking horribly from the petcock, vacuum type, the battery which I've kept charged all winter and even used in a powerwheels for my daughter didnt seem to have enough juice to turn over the engine and then therefore I had no real spark. I gave up as I don't like having gas all over the place while working.
Anyone have luck with petcock rebuild kits? Is there a good alternative to the vacuum type that won't break the bank?

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 06 Jul 2015 08:38 #679643

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23
There was a pingle petcock for sale here on the forums for I wanna sy 65$?

I've seen a lot of aftermarket (prob Chinese) stuff on amazon for cheap, but quality may be questionable??
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 06 Jul 2015 09:54 #679659

• KowalskiCW
  • User
s1203.photobucket.com/user/tinytoes8/med...ockoriginal.jpg.html
I have that style...can I make a swap to a pingle petcock? Do they make block plates with adapters? I'd love to get rid of the vacuum type.

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 28 Jul 2015 06:21 #683097

• KowalskiCW
  • User
Well I got my petcock rebuilt and it no longer leaks gas but my carb float bowls do so I'll have to take them back off and inspect. I bought a new battery and now have a free turning engine...but NO SPARK! Grrr it all worked when I took it apart haha. I have an aftermarket Dyna coil set up and I get no spark from them now. I'm not good with electrical so any ideas where to start would be helpful.

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 29 Jul 2015 12:25 #683327

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 373
Make sure you are getting close to 12 volts on the wire (red/yellow?) that feeds power to the coils with the bike turned ON, kill switch ON.
If you don't have 12 volts, trace back the wires and check and clean all connections.
If you have less than 12 volts, it may be too low to fire the spark plugs well enough.

Check the two wires from the coils that go to the ignition (Dyna S, points?).
Usually green and black wires.
Again check and clean the connections.

You can check the wire circuits/wires for continuity too.
Testing if the wire is broken, or the connections bad.
Use a multi meter and test for continuity, or zero resistance if set to OHMs.
A test lead from the meter to each end of a wire or circuit.
There should be no resistance, or very little.

Hope that helps.

B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 23 Aug 2015 18:06 #686899

• KowalskiCW
  • User
Well I finally had time to check my electrical issue of it not having spark and my frickin Dyna coils are toast. I have 3.5ohms at the primary but nothing on the secondaries on either. I have a hard time believing this happened since it ran just fine when I took it apart and they havent had electricity to them since until I put it back together. Either way I have no readout on 20k setting. Does anyone know where I can get replacements? I wish I knew what they were exactly but they were installed when I got the bike. They are green, Dyna S or 2?. From what I can find they are about $225 for the pair!
Does anyone have any they are looking to part with?

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 08 Sep 2015 07:29 #689147

• KowalskiCW
  • User
Well I did some further testing and it turns out my coils are OK! So now I'm still having no spark. WTF could be wrong? I can't seem to get a reading on the wires to the coils...what setting on the ohm meter should I be using to get a reading and what should it be? The clutch level relay seems fine and the pickups/stator seem to be fine under the engine cover. I'm no electrician so this is starting to wear at me. Any help?!

80 KZ650E LTD Cafe build 21 Sep 2015 07:40 #691179

• KowalskiCW
  • User
I got the bike running! It was some bad connectors on the coil leads. Only problem was I could only keep it running for 15-20secs with choke on. I cleaned the carbs and upped the pilot and main jets just one size to compensate for the UNI pod filters but I obviously didn't get the passages clean. So I finally gave up and sent it off to a local shop with a great reputation. Having 2 kids and a house needing to go up for sale sure does take away any free time I'd normally have. I can't wait to get that bike back in perfect running order!