Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 C2 (Now with pics!) 13 Apr 2013 12:05 #582131

• nitsua93
  • nitsua93's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I brake things.
  • Thank you received: 1
I was wrong! It's a KZ650 B2!
I can't leave this blank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 B2 (Now with pics!) 17 Apr 2013 19:02 #582844

• nitsua93
  • User
  • I brake things.
Bike is running really great and I just received the shorty shocks today. My current problems are that the bike isn't charging the battery and I'll go through about 5 gallons of gas in 30 miles. Which is very bad! I'm assuming my float needles are sticking. Any suggestions?

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 C2 (Now with pics!) 20 Apr 2013 12:20 #583275

• barney
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
Nitsua check your pm's

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 B2 (Now with pics!) 08 Mar 2014 20:24 #624577

• nitsua93
  • User
  • I brake things.
Time for a project update! I had to replace the ignition Dyna ignition plate as one of the modules fried. I replaced it with the updated model and replaced the coils with 3 OHM Dynas. Very pleased with how it runs and cold starts (32*F). I also put my shorty shocks on and powder coated the megaphone. I may ditch the megaphone for a 90* dump, not sure yet.

Currently, the biggest problem I'm having is with a high idle and the RPMs floating when I let of the throttle. I can't seem to get it to consistently idle at 1,000 RPMS. Even with adjusting the timing and adjusting the idle screw. The carbs do need synced, which I may do this week. Depends on when I can borrow the vacuum set from a friend. I know a lean condition can cause the RPMs to float and come down slowly, but if anything it runs rich. Any suggestions?

Pictures show powdercoated megaphone and shorty shocks. I'm going to powdercoat the tank and other items soon, just need to decide the color route I will take. I'm thinking of staying with the red on black scheme.

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394338608.300424.jpg not found

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394338625.050655.jpg not found

Attachments:

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 B2 (Now with pics!) 08 Mar 2014 20:28 #624578

• nitsua93
  • User
  • I brake things.
Also, I can only run the bike with petcock set to prime. If I move it to the run of prime positions it will drain the bowls after about 3 minutes and die. Is it okay to run on prime? I'm assuming I'll flood the bowls and end up draining out of the overflow tubes, but it hasn't happened yet.

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 B2 (Now with pics!) 08 Mar 2014 20:52 #624580

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Is the vacuum line connected from the petcock to carb #2? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 B2 (Now with pics!) 08 Mar 2014 21:30 #624583

• nitsua93
  • User
  • I brake things.

650ed wrote: Is the vacuum line connected from the petcock to carb #2? Ed

Yet it is. It does appear to be pumping. The filter is also new.

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 C2 (Now with pics!) 09 Mar 2014 07:07 #624606

• boatdrinks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 54

nitsua93 wrote: I know that putting it in the middle position is prime. I just don't know what the up and down positions are. I know it runs when I point the handle up. I can no longer read what's on the petcock.

Update: I think I solved my hard start. #2 wasn't sparking and upon inspection the brand new plug was damaged. Put the old plug in and it fired right up and #2 fired great. I now need to get the carbs synced. I may just buy new carbs. Someone locally has freshly rebuilt, super sonic cleaned carbs with extra jets.

I have a very clean set with 110 mains and 17.5 pilot. Shipped from Alabama, $200.00. If interested PM you email address and I'll send some pictures to you.
Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 B2 (Now with pics!) 09 Mar 2014 08:15 #624611

• nitsua93
  • User
  • I brake things.

boatdrinks wrote:

nitsua93 wrote: I know that putting it in the middle position is prime. I just don't know what the up and down positions are. I know it runs when I point the handle up. I can no longer read what's on the petcock.

Update: I think I solved my hard start. #2 wasn't sparking and upon inspection the brand new plug was damaged. Put the old plug in and it fired right up and #2 fired great. I now need to get the carbs synced. I may just buy new carbs. Someone locally has freshly rebuilt, super sonic cleaned carbs with extra jets.

I have a very clean set with 110 mains and 17.5 pilot. Shipped from Alabama, $200.00. If interested PM you email address and I'll send some pictures to you.

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner and have cleaned my carbs myself, I don't believe I will need a new set. I may need to replace one however, as the air adjustment screw is seized and stripped. I need to try to extract it first.

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 B2 (Now with pics!) 09 Mar 2014 20:49 #624677

• nitsua93
  • User
  • I brake things.
Didn't get much done besides some wiring and riding today. Love this cheap swing arm stand I bought though. I can't wait to powdercoat all the metal bits.
Attachments:

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 B2 (Now with pics!) 27 Apr 2014 07:51 #630561

• nitsua93
  • User
  • I brake things.
Couldn't handle how loud the megaphone was. I bought a fart can off a friend and had a local shop make me a pipe for it.

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398610271.332109.jpg not found

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398610282.481417.jpg not found

Attachments:

Nitsua93's 1978 KZ650 B2 (Now with pics!) 07 Mar 2015 23:45 #663735

• nitsua93
  • User
  • I brake things.
All right, haven't updated in almost a year. Honestly, not much changed until this week. It's got a whole new look now. Going for a cafe racer style. I put new carb boots on, stripped off all the body plastics and the front wheel cover, tucked and repaired the wiring, re-positioned the battery, stripped the tank and clear coated the bare metal, put clubman bars on, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting. Still need to get a new seat, repair the wiring on the front forks, get a tire put on my new back wheel, and a couple other odds and ends.

I like my bikes like my women: naked.

Here's how she sits tonight. I really like the naked look. Not sure I'm going to keep the tank that way.

For the battery I just created a tray under the seat and am laying the battery on its side. I cleaned up the wiring and tucked it in front of the battery.

I like my wiring like my women: hiding.

Currently the battery is held down with a bungie. I will make a proper bracket soon, just didn't have the supplies today.

Here you can see how hidden the wiring is, also you can see the starter button towards the back of the battery.

Sorry that it's sideways, but this gives you an idea of my tray.

Attachment tray2.jpg not found

Lastly, my brake light and turn signals off a kz700

Still have a TON of cleaning to do and have to figure out how I want to mount the license plate, I won't be strapping it to the shocks anymore.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.