Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 01 Jul 2014 04:06 #638552

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

lightitup wrote: ... fuel flow issue at anything above 4500rpms. i have no issues around town but once i try and take it on a long ride at 65mph at about 5500rpm my fuel fitter is empty in about 5-10 miles ....

Insufficient fuel cap venting can result in the reported symptoms of fuel starvation.

Would test ride with the fuel cap loosened and left ajar, in order to determine whether cap venting is the issue.
Leave the petcock in PRIme position for the test ride in order to help eliminate a possible concurrent issue with the petcock.

Some of the other possible reasons for fuel starvation would include:
• Low fuel in tank;
• Kinked fuel line;
• Dirty in-line filter;
• Clogged petcock;
• Obstructed screen on petcock intake tube (inside the fuel tank);
• Crud suspended in the fuel inside the fuel tank (such crud obstructs the fuel flow from tank through the petcock intake screen).

May also test fuel flow through the petcock by disconnecting the fuel line at the in-line filter, and seeing whether fuel flows freely into a catch pan.
Then, insert the in-line filter and repeat the same fuel flow test into the catch pan.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Patton.

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 01 Jul 2014 04:43 #638555

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
When flushing out the crud from inside a fuel tank, I prefer removing the tank and a "fast-upside-down-dump" through the opened fuel cap, Then add a small supply of fresh gasoline or other flushing medium such as common household rubbing alcohol, and repeat the flushing as needed.

Which may be followed, if desired, with the much slower fuel release through the petcock or open hole from where the petcock has been removed.

Fuel flow through the petcock may be tested with the tank on the workbench.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 01 Jul 2014 08:08 #638566

• lightitup
  • lightitup's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
That's the filter I have and I will flush the tank when the petcock comes in
81 kz 550 ltd
Attachments:

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 08 Jul 2014 02:01 #639226

• lightitup
  • User
i beleive the outlet on the ebay petcock i had on it was big enough the oem used one i got installed yesterday had a bigger outlet and the filter fills a lot faster now. later today im going to go on a long ride to test out and see if everything is working as it should. if not next step would be getting a petcock repair kit and a different filter.
81 kz 550 ltd

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 08 Jul 2014 20:11 #639376

• lightitup
  • User
Run went great even got to go on the highway for the first time on her no issues that aren't little tweeks.
81 kz 550 ltd

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 10 Oct 2014 06:45 #650243

• lightitup
  • User
well now that i have been riding all summer i want to make some changes i was wondering what rear sets fit best and what type of work would that take to get done im 6'2 and find myself riding with my feet on the rear pegs when cruising to stretch my legs.
81 kz 550 ltd

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 18 May 2016 22:51 #727368

• lightitup
  • User
hey guys im back with some questions i bought a new reg/rec off ebay it was a rick powersport one. my question is is there a way to wire it to work with my 550 C the one i got was for a 550 A. it has 3 white leads one black and one red. the one I took off has 3 yellow one brown one black and one red. looking at the the wire diagram the brown wire runs to things like brake light switches and stuff and the black goes to the batery. what can i do to make this work
81 kz 550 ltd

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 20 May 2016 07:32 #727584

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

lightitup wrote: hey guys im back with some questions i bought a new reg/rec off ebay it was a rick powersport one. my question is is there a way to wire it to work with my 550 C the one i got was for a 550 A. it has 3 white leads one black and one red. the one I took off has 3 yellow one brown one black and one red. looking at the the wire diagram the brown wire runs to things like brake light switches and stuff and the black goes to the batery. what can i do to make this work

The 81 Kz550A and 81 Kz550C have the same 3-phase charging system (1980 may have been different. Some or all were 1-phase.)

You will need to confirm the wiring with Ricks.

It sounds like the 3 white wires would go to the 3 yellow wires. I would assume the red goes to the battery, and black is ground. On the bike, the battery connection is white and/or red, and the ground will be black or black/yellow. That leaves the brown wire on the bike unconnected. Make sure the brown wire does not get connected because it has switched 12v on it. Don't let it get shorted either.

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 20 May 2016 20:23 #727687

• lightitup
  • User
so it ok not to have the brown wire not connected should i just cap it off?
81 kz 550 ltd

new owner of an 81 kz 550 ltd (video) 20 May 2016 20:29 #727689

• lightitup
  • User

loudhvx wrote: The 81 Kz550A and 81 Kz550C have the same 3-phase charging system (1980 may have been different. Some or all were 1-phase.)

You will need to confirm the wiring with Ricks.

It sounds like the 3 white wires would go to the 3 yellow wires. I would assume the red goes to the battery, and black is ground. On the bike, the battery connection is white and/or red, and the ground will be black or black/yellow. That leaves the brown wire on the bike unconnected. Make sure the brown wire does not get connected because it has switched 12v on it. Don't let it get shorted either.

ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/part/10-306/ODFLYXdLWjU1MEM=

i feel hella stupid right now the site said it elimates the brown wire ive had this part for about 10 mounths thinking it wasnt going to work.
81 kz 550 ltd