Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 10 Mar 2012 10:18 #508860

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
I like the look with lowering blocks but it will effect your riding style. You will get very good at dodging holes and bumps.

Great build. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serpent7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 10 Mar 2012 19:07 #508917

• Serpent7
  • Serpent7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
  • Thank you received: 3

rslingshot wrote: Watch your self when putting in the 3inch lowering blocks it is a real bitch to get the fork caps on it can be a little dangerous,there is a ton of spring pressure because you are adding spacers inside the fork and not cutting the springs. 3 inches is going to slam that bike down a good bit and your forks will be very stiff.

So you have done this before??? If so, how difficult is the install? Is it just slide the forks out and put the spacers in? I've never taken forks apart or off, so any info you can provide will help. Is something going to shoot out when I take the caps off? What fork oil do I need if any? LMK.
19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 11 Mar 2012 20:05 #509096

• rslingshot
  • User is blocked
  • Because stock SUCKS!!!!!!
  • Thank you received: 19

Serpent7 wrote:

rslingshot wrote: Watch your self when putting in the 3inch lowering blocks it is a real bitch to get the fork caps on it can be a little dangerous,there is a ton of spring pressure because you are adding spacers inside the fork and not cutting the springs. 3 inches is going to slam that bike down a good bit and your forks will be very stiff.

So you have done this before??? If so, how difficult is the install? Is it just slide the forks out and put the spacers in? I've never taken forks apart or off, so any info you can provide will help. Is something going to shoot out when I take the caps off? What fork oil do I need if any? LMK.

Ya its been almost 20 years but I have done it. You need to take the forks out of the triple trees, take the top cap off and remove the spring drop in the blocks and put the springs back in and try like hell to compress the spring down to get the cap on.That is the just of it but you should have gotten a install sheet from schnitz when you ordered them, as far as oil I dont remember how much we used you wont need much because they are going to be stiff as hell anyway. 3 inch is a lot for lowering blocks you might want to have someone cut an inch off of them and just push the forks up through the trees for the extra inch.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/390747-1977-kz1000-new-life
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2004 Gsx-r 750
78 kz1000 basket case
81 yamaha xs 650 basket case

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 11 Mar 2012 20:12 #509100

• ultimate fighter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
my thoughts exactly. 1 3/4 block,trim the spring, slip the forks up the triples and you'll be good.
love building motorcycles one headache at a time

Last edit: by ultimate fighter.

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 01 Feb 2014 19:12 #620861

• Serpent7
  • User
Believe it, or not I haven't lowered my bike yet!!! Going to do it very soon (or at least attempt it). Look out for pics on how to do it soon...
19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 07 Apr 2014 11:49 #628201

• Serpent7
  • User

I have not installed the lowering blocks, but I did purchase side covers, and have them sandblasted, prepped for chrome powder coating. Yes! Chrome color, powder coat!

Attachment 0403141932a_resized.jpg not found

Attachment 0403141932a_resized.jpg not found

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing
Attachments:

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 08 Apr 2014 18:02 #628364

• ramtough_63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
was talking to the owner of our Local Commercially viable powder coating company about the chrome powder coating. He was pretty enthusiastic about the finished product as he says "it's shiney and has a similar reflectivity but isn't show chrome, closer to polished silver" please post some pic's when finished I haven't seen it yet.

We mount and dismount the tires on the wheels he does (which is allot) and so far the black wrinkle/textured and the plain silver seem to be what we do most of.
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 09 Apr 2014 06:20 #628396

• Serpent7
  • User

ramtough_63 wrote: was talking to the owner of our Local Commercially viable powder coating company about the chrome powder coating. He was pretty enthusiastic about the finished product as he says "it's shiney and has a similar reflectivity but isn't show chrome, closer to polished silver" please post some pic's when finished I haven't seen it yet.

We mount and dismount the tires on the wheels he does (which is allot) and so far the black wrinkle/textured and the plain silver seem to be what we do most of.

I've already done a lot of other pieces on my bike. I love the look of it. It is not quite chrome, not as shinny. It does look like polished silver… sorta. It does have a defined, natural metallic, look to it which I'm after (in my opinion), even more so than chrome. A more realistic, metal look similar to chrome. It will bring out the metal, braided, brake lines, once I do them. Kind of a Mad Max, meets, cafe racer, meets OEM+ look to it! That's the look I'm after.
19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 09 Apr 2014 07:13 #628398

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
i have several engine covers done in chrome powder coat on a couple different engines.

it's kinda like dull polished aluminum.

the reason i went with it was because you can just wash it and let it go and it still looks good.

but once it starts chippin it doesn't look as good and you can't just re-polish it like polished aluminum.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 09 Apr 2014 09:09 #628410

• Serpent7
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: i have several engine covers done in chrome powder coat on a couple different engines.

it's kinda like dull polished aluminum.

the reason i went with it was because you can just wash it and let it go and it still looks good.

but once it starts chippin it doesn't look as good and you can't just re-polish it like polished aluminum.

leon

Yeah, that is the downside (chipping vrs. polishing). Powdercoat should be strong enough to withstand most (lol) rock chips. However, polishing would be much easier when the time comes.
19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 10 Apr 2014 05:58 #628531

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
i have a clutch cover on my banshee done in the chrome powder and the bottom of it has taken a pounding from gravel roost off my front tires.
so maybe it did resist the first few gravel chips :silly: but,
the rest went to work on it .

and then the powder starts coming loose around the edges of the chips and flaking off.

it should last a long time on the street tho.

you will definitely get your moneys worth out of it .

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Upgrading my 79 KZ1000 st 04 Mar 2019 06:55 #799669

• Serpent7
  • User
LOL!!! Wow, 7 years later... Never installed the lowering blocks. Because my bike is a KZ1000E (40mm forks) with the larger forks, I am pretty sure those blocks are for a KZ1000 chain with the smaller 35mm forks. Having the bike completely torn down and gone through. Carbs rebuilt with Stage 3 Jet kit, Forks rebuilt, ShaftDrive serviced. New front and rear tires. New front master cylendar. All new fuel lines, T's, fittings and connectors. New K&N pods (got rid of the no-name cheapo's I had originally run) All new synthetic lubricants. K&N oil filter. All side covers are now powder coated chrome, New clip-on handle bars and grips. And a new AGM battery!
I will post pics asap.
19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing