Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Nov 2011 02:55 #487374

• Chaotic Reason
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
After a month? That sucks! But the shape of everything is coming along nicely and the tail light works, so that's a bonus. :) Have you gotten in contact with the company about the stator? They might be able to send you a replacement.
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Nov 2011 13:44 #487423

• sweetbro
  • sweetbro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I sent them an email, so hopefully I will hear back from them soon. We will see.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 08 Nov 2011 13:24 #487606

• sweetbro
  • User
The company does warranty their stators. I am sending it back today. So that is good.

Also, I got the handlebars yesturday. I think I like the flat ones. I will take pics when I get them on. I got the headlight on there too. Basically, I got everything ready to ride again, when I get the stator, I will be all good.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 08 Nov 2011 15:24 #487623

• kcornell6
  • User
Did you ever end up working with the wiring harness and tearing out all the crap? I'm in the process right now with colorful wires strung everywhere around the ride.

V/R

Kev
96' KZ1000P Bobbed
81 GS850L

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 08 Nov 2011 15:27 #487625

• sweetbro
  • User
Only a little bit so far. I removed stuff like the siren wires and stuff. I decided that, due to the stator issues, I am gonna wait til I get it running as is, before I rip a bunch of stuff out. But I will be doing that very soon.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 10 Nov 2011 03:10 #487841

• motorscot
  • User
Next question, on my right bar control, I have the headlight switch, the kill switch and another switch that has "off" "M" and "P". What is that? Where should I have that set? Could that be stopping the bike from chargering?

Josh,
The "off, M and P" setting are for the pursuit lights. They are wired into the indicator light on the dash and you can power lights using that switch by tying into the GW (green/white stripe) wire in the fairing IIRC

The switch does nothing if the lights are disconnected, but I believe it is constant hot, not switched ignition power.

History lesson: pre 1980 police bikes had the ability to "M" their speeding violators. When pacing the violator, the officer would move the switch to "M", which would lock the speedometer needle at the current speed. "P" is for "Pursuit"

The other wires that can also be used to power accessories is the white/red from the right bar, this is switched power. The KZ-P used a proprietary siren unit from Whelen. This unit was a 6 or 7 wire system. The siren was powered "on" with the right bar switch. The siren was activated using the left bar "horn/siren" push/pull switch in RED. With the right switch "OFF", the left RED horn switch would activate the horn. When "ON", the left RED horn switch would AIR horn when held down, switch from wail to yelp when push or "pulled" by putting thumb behind the switch and lifting the switch toward the rider.

Last edit: by motorscot.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 10 Nov 2011 03:36 #487843

• sweetbro
  • User
Aha! Cool. Thank you for the explanation. I had the right control apart and saw the different wires. I followed them back and the "M" and "P" are both cut. All the police stuff was just cut off my bike. Fine with me, I am gonna remove what is left anyway. No new updates, I got my jets today, gonna put them in soon. Also ordered a new "pull" throttle cable. Little stuff. I'm really just waiting on the stator.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 10 Nov 2011 20:43 #487957

• sweetbro
  • User
K, well, they are warranteeing my stator. It got shipped back and is on its way to me today. Since I cant work on that, I have been doing other stuff. The bars and controls are on the flat bar. I liked how it looked on the bike better than the curved bar. Also, I took the headlight off of my KZ650 (not currently close to running) and pit it on. The bike had been on non op for 18 YEARS when I got it. The headlight still works, ha. Guess its not too crazy, but a little funny. Anyway, I removed the big turnsignals, pulled them apart and used the hollow stocks for my new front turn signals. I cut them shorter and tapped the whole so my new turn signals thread straight in. Got all that wired up. I'll post a pic tonight. Guess that is all for now. Pics coming in a few hours.

-Josh

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 10 Nov 2011 21:01 #487965

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
It's a nice feeling you've accomplished something today,I hope the stator re installation goes without any problems. Nice that you're covered by the warranty on the stator.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 11 Nov 2011 02:43 #488012

• sweetbro
  • User
K, so here are some pics. There is one of the turn signal flashing! Ha, not very good tho, the camera flash drowns it out. But it shows the headlight too.

This is the best complete bike pic I can get. I dont like moving it much, with the engine open.

Here is a closer one of the turn signal. Doesnt show much, but that is a stock turnsignal stem cut down and tapped for that turn signal. I dig the signals, they are LED so they are bright and they also dont look all crazy modern and angular.

Here is a shot of the carbs where you can see the crank case breather too.

Some of these shots show the bars too. I will have the new stator wednesday of next week. I will get it out of the garage then and get some better shots.

But yes, I am quite happy to be getting a new stator.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 16 Nov 2011 18:43 #488815

• sweetbro
  • User
I get the new stator today, hopefully the bike will be rippin a little bit after I get home.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 17 Nov 2011 02:48 #488875

• sweetbro
  • User
K, stator is charging for now. Bike runs great with then new air filters and jets. I will get some pics of it in the sun tomorrow. Happy with how it rides with the bars too.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 17 Nov 2011 02:57 #488876

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12
Cool project. I'm curious if you will be leaving the floorboards, or are you going to switch out to pegs?
Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 17 Nov 2011 03:24 #488881

• Cuff
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I say leave the boards. ;)
Attachments:

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 17 Nov 2011 03:25 #488882

• sweetbro
  • User
Well, for now I am gonna keep the platform. Its a more mellow and relaxed riding position, and seeing as im commuting on this thing, as apposed to my R1, I think a relaxed ride is good. Less aggressive position should slow me down, ha.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 17 Nov 2011 13:16 #488931

• sweetbro
  • User
HA! What a maiden voyage. I road her into work today, and, well, my landing didnt go so well. I got to work and wanted to put her up on the center stand. Not realizing I was in my hard soled boots, I pushed down on the center stand, slipped, and over she went. Yes, that is an embarrassment spot on the ground. She peed herself. Luckily for me, not much happened, the tank got dented a little and the brake lever bent. Ha, well, no more center stand and boots!!!

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 17 Nov 2011 13:31 #488932

• sweetbro
  • User
Anyone want to sell me a lever, a tank or my pride? Ha

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 18 Nov 2011 03:54 #489058

• wcrider62
  • User

Attachment 001_2011-11-18-2.JPG not found

C:\fakepath\LIFE.ods

Attachment kzwiring.jpg not found

Attachment 004_2011-11-18.JPG not found

Attachment 006.JPG not found

Attachment 015_2011-11-18.JPG not found

Attachment 002.JPG not found

Attachment me_2011-11-18.jpg not found

cool idea. thanks for the pic of the rear fram. am considering doing same to my 82 kz 1100 spectre d1 police special. now I know how good it will look . hear is a pic of a choped wiring system and a cpuople of my redecideing progress
1982 kz1100 spectre D1
Attachments:

Last edit: by wcrider62.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 18 Nov 2011 04:01 #489059

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12

wcrider62 wrote:

Instead of using a toggle switch that you can forget to turn off, a simple 4-pole relay can be used in it's place. Wired correctly, it will shut off the power to the coils when you turn the bike off. You may also leave the switch as added protection, but the relay will keep you from draining your battery if you forget to flip the switch. ;)
Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Last edit: by clutch.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 18 Nov 2011 04:18 #489061

• sweetbro
  • User
But I think he has the switch in there to turn off the bike. I mean, I agree that if you find a way to turn power off to the relay, you are correct, but on that wiring, how would you turn it off? That is what the switch is for, a kill switch. I think, at least.