Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 25 Sep 2012 17:40 #550818

• Cuff
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Are there any open smog passages to that header?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 25 Sep 2012 18:44 #550832

• sweetbro
  • sweetbro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The only smog passages would be the exhaust gas recirculation stuff, right? The plates on top of the valve cover? I dont think it could be them, but I will look. They are plugged, but the gasket underneath could be bad. Good idea.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 25 Sep 2012 19:20 #550836

• Cuff
  • User
Have a look down the passages under the reed valves in the smog ports you plugged off. They feed spent and waste gasses into the exhaust stream. If the reed valves are clogged, and, if the gaskets are not good, they will allow air through. As far as I can remember. I know mine are clogged up and I get some pop's on decel even though I'm running a little ritch. I knew this puting back my valve cover but forgot. And once it was on I just left it. I'll take it apart this winter.
Attachments:

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 25 Sep 2012 19:28 #550841

• Cuff
  • User
Sorry about the bad MS Paint job but it's all I have right now. From what I remember have a look here. If I'm wrong please someone let me know. It's been a while since I had to work on that area of the bike and my old ass can't remember where my info came from.

If you had a Canadian model you wouldn't have to worry about smog ports, we didn't have them. I did buy an American model so I'll have to address them as well.
Attachments:

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 25 Sep 2012 19:53 #550851

• sweetbro
  • User
Ok, what that system does is supposedly inject clean air down into the exhaust, right? So if I plugged it, then had a leak, extra clean air would be getting into the exhast, uncontrolled? Its funny, cuase in my air box, there was oil coming out of the hose from the system, so it had been back feeding. Anyway, I will check for leaks. Did you put a plate on the top? Or did you actually plug the holes? What did you plug with?

I just put a new gasket and end plugs on last weekend, so I dont want to take it apart again. I might end up doing it, but who knows. My buddy has a CNC plasma table, he is gonna make me plates to go on top of there. 6 Signa racing had none left.

Really, I wish I could replace the whole valve cover. I have to KZ650s and one is a 78, other is 79. THe 78 valve cover has none of this. SO much cleaner. That bike is destroyed tho, prob gonna put that cover on the 79. Wish I had one for the 1000.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 25 Sep 2012 21:08 #550862

• Cuff
  • User
I didn't plug the holes just sealed off the caps with copper gasket silicone. My problem, from what I can see, is there is a fracture on the left cap letting in air. That is the side of exhaust I'm getting the pop from.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 27 Sep 2012 17:42 #551226

• sweetbro
  • User
Ah, yea, that would probably do it.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 03 Dec 2012 18:18 #561187

• sweetbro
  • User
Tire help of any of you have it. So being 18" front and rear, I am having a hard time finding ANY tires. I mean, I can get very basic cruiser tires, but I cant find anything that is old school at all. I cant find any dual sport tires either. I was wondering what the problem would with running a front on the back, but it has to be weight, right? Cause I was thinking of running 2 of these, front and rear.

Bridgestone

Otherwise I am stumped. The Shinko's I have are total junk, the rear wore out in about 5000 miles. Thats ridiculous. Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

-Josh

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 05 Dec 2012 14:34 #561475

• Cuff
  • User
As a rule you shouldn't run a front tire on the rear unless your talking about a very light and underpowered bike.

I'm running these with decent results but in hind sight I would like to go a little bigger and run the 130/80 TL or the 4.10 TT. The 120/80 just looks too small. www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11/53/802/...Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

I did have these before but they wore out real quick being a lighter tire that should not have been on the bike in the first place. (HF308 on the page)
www.bigtoppowersports.com/eshopprod_cat_...ERSAL_REAR_TIRES.htm

My next set will be these.
www.bigtoppowersports.com/eshopprod_cat_...K70__K81_VINTAGE.htm

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 05 Dec 2012 15:05 #561479

• sweetbro
  • User
Holy GEEZZUUSSSSS! That Dunlop costs as much as my race tires on my R1?!?!?!?! Thats insane. At least you can get the bigger 4.25. I'll see what happens with the 2 fronts.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 05 Dec 2012 15:53 #561483

• Cuff
  • User
That's because it's a canadian site. Should be cheaper down there. I'll more than likely pick them up down south and have them shipped to my secret bunker just over the border. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sweetbro

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 05 Dec 2012 15:55 #561484

• sweetbro
  • User
Ha, ok. I about had a heart attack, geez.

Good looking tire tho

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 11 Jun 2013 12:42 #591754

• sweetbro
  • User
So I have not been on here in months and months, but I fixed an issue that I was having. If you look back in this post, I had an issue with the shift rod moving laterally. So I found a bearing that has the same ID as the OD of the shift rod, I then had my friend with CNC mill open up the case so I could set the bearing into it. It came out really nice and works perfect. The shifting is super smooth and tight.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed_in_Miami

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 01 Dec 2018 02:21 #794424

• Jimbo302
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I know its old, but Thanks for the detailed posts, great read and nice bike.

Last edit: by Jimbo302.