Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 11 Nov 2012 00:33 #557825

• kz1000SF
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I love this thread boostable! Good stuff. Maybe you could help me out. I am doing an efi on my kz1000j but had bought 05-06 gsxr 750 throttle bodie and the spacing in the middle was larger causing the spacing for the throttle bodie to be off per cylinder. I have am now selling that throttle bodie to get one that fits closer. I saw how you said you were using zx10r's? If this is the case what year? Thanks! :P
KZ1000SF = Stupid Fast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 11 Nov 2012 01:09 #557827

• Julian@MotoCARR
  • User
  • Automotive Afficianado
  • Thank you received: 0
Video of it running before it's too cold out? :)
Humans are smart
People are stupid

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 13 Nov 2012 00:20 #558151

• Boostable
  • Boostable's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Hey guys... Sorry for the long delay, been chasing my tail for weeks on this thing!!

My last post I reported the bike was running and running pretty good.. For about 4~5 mins at a clip that is!! After that it would start missing like it was dropping a cylinder, etc. So I would tear it down, check everything, put it back together, and it would fire up and run perfect... for another 4~5 mins.. I have been doing this for the last six weeks, trouble shooting this, and that trying to figure it out. I even sent the MS back in to have the injector circuits checked.. nope, nada!

So after finally narrowing it down and back tracking a dozen times, I FINALLY found the issue and this was it..

That little slit in the ground wiring was grounding out to the shielding wire while running. What a bitch!!! Of course this was all covered up by the shielding and was invisible. Needless to say the lesson learned here is (as always) its the simple things that take forever to figure out.

I do have some new video of the bike running, but its to damn big to upload. I will get some new stuff taken and uploaded. Now back to tuning.. FINALLY!!!!!
~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 13 Nov 2012 00:27 #558153

• Boostable
  • User
Sorry guys forgot to answer your questions during my rant..

Dave, here you go man.. kzzone.com/billet.html

SuperFast, the TB's are from a 06 ZX10R. Spacing it good, and you will only need to separate the center cylinders a little. However, remember these are SIGNIFICANTLY bigger then the intake ports and you will need to come up with a way to tapper them in.

Jack
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 13 Nov 2012 07:47 #558169

• jydog
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Nice job tracking that one down Jack. You beat it! Im still tuned in. My 34 truck project is taking up most of my time right now and my bike is still running on carbs. My Microsquirt is still on the bench waiting.
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 13 Nov 2012 11:53 #558188

• Boostable
  • User
Thanks, it was a real PITA for sure!! I have been pushing to get the bike done and it has been pushing back.. LOL

I can relate on the other project, that's why I need to get this thing done and on the road. Im expecting to get my 69 Camaro out of the metal shop for Christmas and I need to make room in the garage. :) Just finished my truck, and I just bought a 78 KZ650SR.

WTH.. I think I have a problem!!!
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 11 Dec 2012 17:13 #562561

• 650mod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48
I'm contemplating doing a fuel injection swap-over on my bike. Just wondering how tricky it was to get all the systems hooked up, in place, running right. Also, what was the rough cost of all the necessary parts to get this done?

Thanks!
78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 13 Dec 2012 00:35 #562733

• Boostable
  • User

650mod wrote: I'm contemplating doing a fuel injection swap-over on my bike. Just wondering how tricky it was to get all the systems hooked up, in place, running right. Also, what was the rough cost of all the necessary parts to get this done?

Thanks!

Both really good questions with an array of answers, lol. The complexity could be simple or complicated based on the components you select. In my case, I wanted to use the ZX10R TB's and that complicated things a bit due to the size differences and mounting issue that had to be resolved. A smaller diameter TB like the stock GPZ would certainly simplify things.... It's all about what you want.

In my case I rewired the entire bike and used zero from the stock wiring setup. If you are just going to covert it to FI then that would be a lot easier then what I did.

But, Make no mistake this is in NO WAY a turn key deal and you WILL have to be creative on the details. It is in know way "difficult" but it can be overwhelming. There is a lot of technical things you just need to take your time on, do your research and figure out, but its pretty damn cool if I say so myself.

I can't do a lot of tuning until I get the bike on the road and on a dyno, but I have tuned it on the bench and it starts pretty easy and has a nice and crisp throttle. Can't wait to get it on the ground. Working on my rear spacers and chain offset now, so it won't be long.

Cost, well that's difficult for me to answer off the cuff without some more information. Are you gonna do Fuel Only, or Fuel and Ignition? But if you are JUST going to do fuel and nothing else (which is how I recommend you start) you would need the following.

Microsquirt Controller (or similar)
Throttle Bodies (assume they contain injectors)
Injector Harness (you can make this)
CLT - GM unit
IAT - GM unit
MAP - GM 1 Bar or II, or III
O2 Sensor and controller (if this is how you want to tune)
Solenoids
Fuel Pump
Fuel Tubing
FPR - Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Filter

So for shit and giggle lets say ballbark $6~700, could be less could be more depending on the components you choose.

Most of which can be found here..

www.diyautotune.com/

Hope that helps in some way.

Jack
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Last edit: by Boostable.

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 13 Dec 2012 01:11 #562741

• jarrad
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
hey mate loving the build, but im a bit bias as im building a very similar bike...
im was just trying to decice on carb or injection when i came across yout build, so it will be interesting to see how it looks with all the covers and seat on once all the injection is in.

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 13 Dec 2012 11:45 #562787

• Boostable
  • User
Very Nice!!! Love the wire wheels, looks really good. Im going to be pushing hard to get this thing done after the holidays so stay tuned. Also start a build thread if you haven't already.
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 13 Dec 2012 13:16 #562795

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor

Boostable wrote: Hey guys... Sorry for the long delay, been chasing my tail for weeks on this thing!!

My last post I reported the bike was running and running pretty good.. For about 4~5 mins at a clip that is!! After that it would start missing like it was dropping a cylinder, etc. So I would tear it down, check everything, put it back together, and it would fire up and run perfect... for another 4~5 mins.. I have been doing this for the last six weeks, trouble shooting this, and that trying to figure it out. I even sent the MS back in to have the injector circuits checked.. nope, nada!

So after finally narrowing it down and back tracking a dozen times, I FINALLY found the issue and this was it..

That little slit in the ground wiring was grounding out to the shielding wire while running. What a bitch!!! Of course this was all covered up by the shielding and was invisible. Needless to say the lesson learned here is (as always) its the simple things that take forever to figure out.

I do have some new video of the bike running, but its to damn big to upload. I will get some new stuff taken and uploaded. Now back to tuning.. FINALLY!!!!!

I can almost beat that.....? some of the nice things I found.... :ohmy:
Attachments:

Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 13 Dec 2012 14:55 #562805

• 650mod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48
Jack,

That's a huge help- thank you VERY much for the input here!

Devin
78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully