Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 18 Aug 2012 20:36 #543322

• sc/ant864
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi, new to the forum but old lurker, I love the ideas you've come up with on this bike, mostly the M-unit. Being able to make your own simple harness and the options this thing offers makes the $300 price seem very resonable, especially if you have a ratty butched up harness. I will be getting one of these for sure, might even get the M-lock and mount the reciever in the old switch housing on my trees, if not I'll just mount a gauge there and remote mount the reciever like you did. Great bike, Great build and Great thread, kudos to you sir.
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/543276-77-...543286]'77KZ900-1000 streetstrip project
'77KZ900/1000
'89BMW E30 325i sedan
'88Mustang GT
'77Datsun PL620 KingCab
George Carlin- "I often think how different the world would be if Hitler had not been turned down when he applied to art school."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 19 Aug 2012 19:54 #543470

• Boostable
  • Boostable's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13

sc/ant864 wrote: Hi, new to the forum but old lurker, I love the ideas you've come up with on this bike, mostly the M-unit. Being able to make your own simple harness and the options this thing offers makes the $300 price seem very resonable, especially if you have a ratty butched up harness. I will be getting one of these for sure, might even get the M-lock and mount the reciever in the old switch housing on my trees, if not I'll just mount a gauge there and remote mount the reciever like you did. Great bike, Great build and Great thread, kudos to you sir.

Thanks I appreciate it.. The M-Unit is great, and really made things pretty damn simple. Hell if I can do it anyone can, lol. Been a fun project and really looking forward to getting it on the ground real soon.
~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 19 Aug 2012 19:59 #543472

• Boostable
  • User
SHE LIVES!!! Well kinda...

I got her to fire up today and idle, but not very well. Went to fire up my laptop up to tune it and it took a crap on me, so I lost my config that I had already setup for it, so I had to start from scratch.

I have to work on some of the timing settings as its way off and for the life of me I can't recall how I had the secondary ignition pickup set. Any input? Isn't is suppose to be a negative or something? I will have to poor back through the docs and see if I can find it again, but if anyone has any insight on the ignition parameters it would help.

Thanks,

Jack
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 19 Aug 2012 23:13 #543516

• sc/ant864
  • User
I don't know if this is the same version of your mircosquirt but it seems to have what you're looking for if you are running the dual spark setup.
MicroSquirt Dual Spark
This may help too, theres a few links to stuff that may be easier to find than flipping through a manual.
MicroSquirt QuickStart
BTW I wanted to ask what battery are you using? Looks like some type of sealed unit?
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/543276-77-...543286]'77KZ900-1000 streetstrip project
'77KZ900/1000
'89BMW E30 325i sedan
'88Mustang GT
'77Datsun PL620 KingCab
George Carlin- "I often think how different the world would be if Hitler had not been turned down when he applied to art school."

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 20 Aug 2012 00:14 #543532

• Boostable
  • User
I appreciate the input, I have read both of those a few times now.. lol. The issue is the deg of separation of the input coils. 180deg roughly, but there is a positive on the left pickup and a negative on the right. Its the right one I need to figure out again. I think I got it I just need to do some testing on it.

You are correct on the battery, its a ballistic. Here is a link..

~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 20 Aug 2012 00:49 #543539

• sc/ant864
  • User
Ok sorry I couldn't help with what I found, I read somewhere here that Dave Sloan is a MS wiz,maybe he can offer up some advice or a baseline tune even. I take it you're running the Crank Trigger setup as opposed to the Cam Trigger?

I thought so, cool industrial look to the battery, like the kind you find in emergency lights for buildings.
'77KZ900/1000
'89BMW E30 325i sedan
'88Mustang GT
'77Datsun PL620 KingCab

Last edit: by sc/ant864.

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 20 Aug 2012 07:39 #543571

• jydog
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Jack, I feel for you man, I know what you are talking about. The last few years I've started to write stuff down and save my configs etc in the cloud so I wont loose or forget. I cant rember what I did over 3 months ago so Im starting to learn to save and write down everyting.

Go back over this links and maybe it will refresh your memory.

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/47357...rt--microsquirt-a-kz

I know you were explaining a lot of what you were doing to me.

Your words ->
"Sure.. no problem.

Start here... www.microsquirt.info/dualspark.htm

Input 1 triggers one injection channel (INJ1) and one ignition channel (Output 1), the other input (Input 2) triggers the other coil (Output 2) and injector bank (INJ2).

Section 1.a. and the input notes should give you most of the info you are looking for. "

"Ok, here we go..

I hooked up the Dyna S tonight and ran several test and sequences. I am uploading the files now, but here is the just of it.

I setup the Dyna S with just a single trigger at first to see how it looked. I ran tachref and logged it and it looked real good. Good form, good spacing.

I then hooked up the second input and ran another test. I change the color of the second trigger in the log to green to make it easier to read. The log and output table looked really good. The inputs appear to be firing 180 out just as they should.

I see know reason why your pickups or stock KZ pickups for the matter should not be firing the same.

It took me awhile tonight, but here is the info on the new input setup in V3. Not sure if you have seen this or not, but its worth a read if you haven't.

www.useasydocs.com/theory/vr.htm

As soon as the videos are done I will post them here.... at this rate that will be tomorrow.. lol

I MAY put the MS on the 900 to just see if I can get it to run as we suspect. Hell I already have it torn apart right"

"For the inputs I hooked mine up exactly like this..

Cables are labeled VR1 and VR2."
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Last edit: by jydog.

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 20 Aug 2012 10:51 #543600

• Boostable
  • User
Thanks bud, I do remember that now. This is exactly why I do a build thread, so I can go back and figure out what I f'ed up..

I have everything hooked up as I mentioned previously, but for some reason I am confusing myself on the advance/retard of the second pickup. I may just be over thinking the entire thing.. LOL

I went through the entire config line by line last night and will test it out tonight and see how it is. I will let you know how it goes.

Isn't technology suppose to make our lives easier!!!
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Last edit: by Boostable.

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 20 Aug 2012 10:56 #543601

• jydog
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Hey if you dont mind post the config as an attachment on your thread here or my other one once you have it sorted out and that way we dont have to re invent the wheel again. Oh and document what firmware also if you dont mind. I'll do the same once I get back at it. Thanks
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 20 Aug 2012 15:05 #543649

• Boostable
  • User
Will do..
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 26 Aug 2012 22:26 #544935

• Boostable
  • User
OK, bike IS running.. pretty damn good if I might add! Sounds really good... Good it running pretty nice and ran it through its heat cycles, let her cool and re-torqued the head. All good..

But with good, comes a little bad.. First the good.

Bike is running with with the fuel injection as expected, idles nice and is pretty snappy on the throttle, still very rich as expected until I tune it and I can't do that until I mount the wide band which I will do this week.

The bad, a few things to work out on the fuel side. One bad AN fitting and I need to redo my kill switch. Right now I have it shutting down both fuel and ignition, but when you drop power the motor surges until the coils discharge, which is just a second or two, but I don't like it. Also my injectors drop open at the same time, now that im thinking about it I might reverse the wires on the injectors and see if that cures that issues..

Last but not least is the crank pickups. I am currently running the system with the Dyna S ignition and firing the MS off the coil grounds. Works just fine.. I will finish the fuel tuning and make sure it is all correct then move back over to the stock pickups.

Speaking of stock pickups, here is what was/is happening. The bike ran ONCE with the stock pickups. After checking, testing, checking, testing, here is what I believe is happening. The left pickup appears to be firing just fine. I get good fire and timing is good on cylinders 1&4. The right pickup that fires 2&3 is very week and sporadic. Almost a hit and miss scenario if you will. Very strange for sure. So I am thinking I may have a bad pickup. But before I can answer that definitively I am going to be doing some bench testing using some of the information Lou has posted previously.

I might see if I can scrounge up another set for comparison testing.. Anyone got a good set to send me for test? I can send them back.. :)

Once I get the bugs worked out I will post up all my data for others.

Thats it for now.
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

1982 KZ1000 to Fighter.. 26 Aug 2012 22:54 #544950

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
great to here things r going well. :)

i live in can so hopefully u can find a comparison set closer to home. if not let me know.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.