Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 Mar 2010 21:30 #354186

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
Are you speaking of the Dunlops that required the Jaws of Life to remove? I thought I saw new Michelins on your ride, no?

Damn budgets always gettin in the way! But if we had all the money we needed, we wouldn't appreciate scrounging a great deal, or building something yourself that everyone else just buys. Its the tight budgets that makes us innovators and customizers.....Or we can't leave well enough alone and have to screw with anything we own. That would be me...on both counts :lol:
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 Mar 2010 21:38 #354190

• porchev914
  • User
When I picked up the 1" round stock, I asked if they had any Ti, and they had some 1/8" sheet. I think they quoted me $160 for a 2'x2' piece. If I had access to a TIG welder I would have picked it up, just to find parts to replace with it. Yeah, thats right, my cup holders Ti.
FRANKEN Z!

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 18 Mar 2010 04:45 #354217

• testarossa
  • testarossa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
porchev914 wrote:

Are you speaking of the Dunlops that required the Jaws of Life to remove? I thought I saw new Michelins on your ride, no?

Damn budgets always gettin in the way! But if we had all the money we needed, we wouldn't appreciate scrounging a great deal, or building something yourself that everyone else just buys. Its the tight budgets that makes us innovators and customizers.....Or we can't leave well enough alone and have to screw with anything we own. That would be me...on both counts :lol:

Yeah, I'm talking about the old Dunlops. I don't have anything cross to say about the Michelins yet. If that front tire cups on me then maybe, but I like 'em so far. Michelins are actually my favorite tires to mount. They're quite plyable, and ususally are very well balanced. I have made a practice of balancing my rim with no tire, and the Michelins seldom influence placement or amount of weight. Can't say the same for Bridgestones or Dunlops. I want to try some Pirelli/Metzlers and some Conti's in the future. Check out the Pirelli Angel sometime. Cool tread design.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 18 Mar 2010 19:58 #354414

• testarossa
  • User
I started taking measurements on all of my engine components this evening. Keep in mind that my plan is to run with a stock engine at first, so I'm trying to save as much as I can right now.

The bores are good. Roundness less than 0.001" and taper is about 0.001" on all four holes. Cylinder ID's are all between 2.757 and 2.758.

Piston diameters were all 2.754. Good. Piston ring groove width was 0.049" Ring free and installed gaps were all close to the new specs and well in tolerance. Ring thickness was 0.046 on all rings.

Cam lobes and bearing journal diameters were all in spec. as I previously stated. I plan on getting into the head over the weekend.

Now I have questions for all of the engine gurus.

1) Should I worry about getting into my oil pump to check the clearances inside? Doesn't look like that gasket is in a rebuild set. Do the pumps ever give trouble?

2) My Clymer manual says that 20 links of the cam chain should measure less than 6.21" However there is no drawing to show you where to measure. What I mean to say is do they want you to measure from the far end of link #1 to the opposite end of link #20 or do you measure from the the front pin on #1 to the same side of the same pin on #20? Hope that makes sense. The chain looks new, and I can't detect any slop. It's measures longer than 6.21" if you use the first method that I described. Or do I just replace it? $40, cheap insurance.

3) My manual states that the carbon ridge at the top of the cylinder should not be removed if the original pistons and rings are being reused. Does this mean that I shouldn't hone the cylinders before I re-assemble? I would normally hone the cylinders on any other engine to break the glaze.

4) As I stated before, my clutch friction discs will need replacement, but I discovered extra plates in my clutch. Z-1e's website says 8 fiber discs and 7 steels for this bike. I have 10 fibers and 9 steels. Two of the steels are noticably different than the other 7, but all of the fibers look the same. So is it 8 or 10? I never got to ride the bike, but the clutch actuation was quite stiff. could this be due to the four extra discs putting more preload on the springs?
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 18 Mar 2010 22:57 #354463

• porchev914
  • User
I can only pass on some insight on one of your questions bud. As long as your clutch steels are within spec just replace the fibers with the correct number of stock replacements. Larry C advised me on my 1075 build to stay away from the "extra disk" clutch kits. I wonder if the clutch was worn out, and the PO threw in some handy extra plates to give her a few more miles??? You're gonna have to bang out some progress to pick up my slack while I recover from fathering a new girl ;) :lol:

FYI- In reference to my avatar: you have no idea how hard it is to land an airplane after hot boxing the cockpit :lol:
FRANKEN Z!

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 04:15 #354478

• testarossa
  • User
I can only assume that the plane in your avatar was blown over, or is this some kind of really cruel pilot humor?

Progress on the way this weekend. Working 10hrs a day right now, so I tend to be lazy during the week.

BTW, Mark I got a much better measurment on my sprocket offset last night. Looks like 1/2" is all I'll need.
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 05:54 #354499

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
testarossa wrote:

1) Should I worry about getting into my oil pump to check the clearances inside? Doesn't look like that gasket is in a rebuild set. Do the pumps ever give trouble?

It is east to check,I would, just because that's the way i work.I like to have all the specs on paper, so if i have an issue later, i can rule some things out. If there is an issue,now's the time to find out.I don't think they are all that problematic, though.

2) The chain looks new, and I can't detect any slop. It's measures longer than 6.21" if you use the first method that I described. Or do I just replace it? $40, cheap insurance.

U need to split the cases to change this, so now is the time for a new Heavy duty chain. When u upgrade latter, u wont have to split.

3) My manual states that the carbon ridge at the top of the cylinder should not be removed if the original pistons and rings are being reused. Does this mean that I shouldn't hone the cylinders before I re-assemble? I would normally hone the cylinders on any other engine to break the glaze.

I would hone.

4) As I stated before, my clutch friction discs will need replacement, but I discovered extra plates in my clutch. Z-1e's website says 8 fiber discs and 7 steels for this bike. I have 10 fibers and 9 steels. Two of the steels are noticeably different than the other 7, but all of the fibers look the same. So is it 8 or 10? I never got to ride the bike, but the clutch actuation was quite stiff. could this be due to the four extra discs putting more preload on the springs?

It is 8 fibers.

10 would be the APE clutch kit.the fiber plates are thinner in the APE kit, to allow for more plates. these are popular for drag racing.I would go back to the 8 plate z1e pack. Also check the fingers on the basket that the plates ride on. make sure they dont have grooves worn in them from the thinner plates, fingers.
also check the baskets springs for a lot of play. if sloppy, get back to me for a resolution.
Stiff clutch actuation , could be due to springs,dirty, cable or actuator.
I have stock clutch, and springs in my kz1200.
I am not a guru,but have asked a lot of questions, and built a few motors. this is just my opinion.
Hope this helps.
Mark.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 16:09 #354606

• testarossa
  • User
Thanks Mark. I just checked the basket and it looks fine. Just has normal witness marks from the clutch discs. No grooves. Not sure if the springs were sloppy or not. Its all apart now, and I was planning on ordering new springs anyway. I'm going with a stock 8 plate clutch from z1e.
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 16:49 #354616

• porchev914
  • User
I think Mark is refering to the springs in the back of the clutch basket. Right Mark?
FRANKEN Z!

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 17:23 #354630

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
will you be riding this bike....
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 17:26 #354631

• testarossa
  • User
trianglelaguna wrote:

will you be riding this bike....

Absolutly. What are you getting at?
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 17:39 #354633

• trianglelaguna
  • User
will you be riding
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 17:43 #354636

• testarossa
  • User
Yes, I will be riding.
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 17:49 #354640

• trianglelaguna
  • User
keep both hands on the wheel...gosh buddy...i'm just hoping your a safe driver...whew....get some air their fella.....
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Last edit: by trianglelaguna.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 18:51 #354670

• testarossa
  • User
trianglelaguna wrote:

keep both hands on the wheel...

Ok now listen. I'm not interested in getting involved in some kind of flame war with you over my project. I have seen your attempts at antognizing the memebers here who have been building your so called "hybrid" bikes. The first thing that you need to know is that I have never once made any statement about improving the handling of my motorcycle.

At least, do yourself a favor and read the entirety of my build thread. My goal is to take an otherwise forgotten, run of the mill 1978 kz1000 that has been sitting in a yard for 15 years and get it back on the road. I am doing the conversion for many reasons. My stock wheels were bent and rusty beyond salvation. My swingarm barely moved because the bearings were totally seized. I had bent handlebars tattered seat, porous rusty dented tank. My steering bearings were notchy, and I had no gauges. I purchased my donor GSXR 750 for $250 which is about the same amount of money that I would have spent replacing the wheel bearings, swingarm bearings and tube, steering neck bearings, and rebuilding the stock fork. I bought the bike for $400 with a title and a dream that I will not let you divert me from for more than the 45min. it will take to write this. I repeat that I never once stated that I was attempting to improve the handling.

I hope that your intention is not to scare me away from this forum or my project. I can assure you that you are dealing with the most stubborn SOB on KZRider, and your infantile attempts at internet aggression will only serve as motivation.

Another thing that I can assure you of is the fact that I already own a bike that handles well(2004 zx-10r), so I will be able to assess weather or not my efforts produced an ill handling bike or not.

I'm not sure why you started drinking the hateraide, but put that shit down man. It ain't making you any friends here. As a matter of fact I found this little gem that you wrote in response to my first post when I clearly announced my intentions for my project.

Trianglelaguna said:
interesting clone,good for you and welcome....i have the zx10r bug pretty bad right now,it comes and goes,i am 6'7" and can get my foot in the 09 cbr1000rr linkage ,but not the others in stock form, but want my new gen bike to be a zx10r,there is strong talk of an all new for 2010 zx10 and i will have to see ......there are a lot around here online from 04-09 and some as low as 5000.....

or do i wait 2 yrs and see if i still "gotta have it" or not

i know this,25 yrs and i still do u-turns to check out a kz....

welcome good pics...keep em coming...craig

Some other things that you need to know about me. 1) If I had a bike with some intrinsic value, such as Z-1, or a sandcast CB 750, or a Vincent Black Shadow, then I would be doing a bone stock restoration. As a matter of fact I would really like to have a Z-1 someday. Wire wheels, drum brake and all. 2) If everyone on KZrider hated my bike, then I would still build it the same way. But appearently a few people have been interested since I have had 3500 views so far. 3) I don't cotton to you pissing in my corner of the back yard.

So in closing, if you feel like I'm a prick and you hate my bike and everything that it represents, then do what the rules state and take a pass. If you read this and can be honest enough with yourself to admit that you miss spoke, then I can forgive and move forward. Heck it seems like we share a lot of interests. I love MotoGP, and all forms of roadbike racing. I wish that I lived close enough to Laguna Seca to go see the boys mix it up on the corkscrew. And oh yeah, by the way, I also care enough about old Kawasakis to spend 10 hrs a week on this forum. Or if you just lost your job, dog died, wife cheated on you, and you cant find an outlet for you hatred, then I'll be happy to have a beer with you and help you talk through a solution to the world's problems. Finally, if you read through this and realize that you got me angry enough to spend my time writing a response, and you still think that it is okay, then I can assure you that I will ride with one hand long enough to give you the bird as I ride past your house.

So lets be adults and get past this, it's what I would like.
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 19:15 #354676

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
hey testaross keep up the good work and f**k the begruders, at the end of the day its YOUR bike paid for with YOUR money, bikes are ment to feed the soul that ever you wish to do with them.
06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 19:23 #354680

• testarossa
  • User
kzstreetfighter71 wrote:

hey testaross keep up the good work and f**k the begruders, at the end of the day its YOUR bike paid for with YOUR money, bikes are ment to feed the soul that ever you wish to do with them.

Damn right. Thanks for the positive comments. BTW I just noticed your thread, and I must say that your bike is coming along nicely.
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 19:30 #354685

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
thanks mate im lookin froward to seeing yours up and running,ill be takin some more pics on sunday and postin them up im almost there but there are a few things to iron out yet. im building a kz750 cafe/fighter if you think yer p*ssin a few on here wait till i post the thread of it..:laugh:
06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 19:38 #354687

• porchev914
  • User
What?!?! Someone NOT like your build Josh??? Hell, your thread is what I use for inspiration bud ;) You've got the right attitude and like KZstreet pointed out: its your money, time and talent. Do what you dream. I LOVE your dream, especialy the frugality you've employed so sucessfully and made so much progress with so little. I'm jelous! B)
FRANKEN Z!

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 19 Mar 2010 20:10 #354706

• testarossa
  • User
porchev914 wrote:

What?!?! Someone NOT like your build Josh??? Hell, your thread is what I use for inspiration bud ;) You've got the right attitude and like KZstreet pointed out: its your money, time and talent. Do what you dream. I LOVE your dream, especialy the frugality you've employed so sucessfully and made so much progress with so little. I'm jelous! B)

Plan on some more inspiration soon. I just got turbo-inspired. I work VERY well when I'm angry. As they say "Don't hate the player, hate the game."
2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN