Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 z650b1 project with pics-need help! 25 Nov 2009 18:07 #335948

• cobura
  • cobura's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
  • Thank you received: 3
thanks onkelb for your help, i went ahead and ordered those jets, and while i was at it, i ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit.

I started taking apart my master cylinder, which is very badly corroded, and got stuck again with another problem. I cant seem to get the piston to come out. I bought a pair of snap ring pliers and took off the boot of the piston. cleaned it and looked down inside, and i swear i cant see any snap ring, just that moon-shaped washer called the "stopper piston." This is the first time i have taken apart a master cylinder, so the snap ring may have just fallen out during my stupidity :unsure: At this point, should i just go ahead and start pounding on the back side of the piston to try to knock it loose? If there's no snap ring, then it should come out right?
1979 KZ650B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 z650b1 project with pics-need help! 09 Dec 2009 08:05 #338219

• cobura
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
BIG NEWS!!!! :cheer:

this weekend, me and my friend worked long hours into the night and made huge progress on the old 650. After looking at the bike's registration history, i noticed that it has probably been over 10 years since it has been on the road. By looking at it, i could guess that it had been a while since it ran, but not that long! I changed the oil, flushed the engine, new oil filter, all new plugs, and finally re-installed the 100% finished carbs. After only 4 kicks, she fired right up. I got help from my friend to adjust the carbs using the 4-meter vacuum guages. Its still running a little bit rough, but i think it is still just waking up from its long sleep. Once it gets ridden it should smooth out. Cant wait to take it out for the first time, im so happy to finally hear that engine.

I am still working on the regulator problem, i think i have decided to ditch the z750 regulator and buy the separate regulator and rectifier from oregonmotorcycleparts.com. Seems like a better idea.

I also finished the seat. Got it restored by a local company that specializes in that. I went with the original straight type design with a custom stitch pattern. I also figured out how to remove the old master cylinder and rebuilt it without any problem. Everything seems to be finally coming together. I will be sure to post pics this weekend!
1979 KZ650B3

1977 z650b1 project with pics-need help! 14 Jan 2010 16:26 #342899

• cobura
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
So for the most part, I'm finished! I took her for a test ride yesterday and seemed to run great. I'm happy that all the problems seem to be fixed now. When I first got the bike, i thought it was in fair condition since the engine could run. Little did i know however that everything else was broken. I mean everything! Everything not engine-related was bad. Wiring, brakes, carbs, guages, bulbs, tank, fuel cock, seat, regulator, rectifier, fuses, starter, etc. But hard work has payed off :laugh:

new seat:

headlight stays:

still a little bit dirty and corroded:

1979 KZ650B3

1977 z650b1 project with pics-need help! 14 Jan 2010 16:44 #342904

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Congrats!!! I like your ride. I really like the exhaust pipes. And you can't beat the color black. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

1977 z650b1 project with pics-need help! 14 Jan 2010 16:53 #342906

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Looks great!
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

1977 z650b1 project with pics-need help! 14 Jan 2010 16:55 #342907

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
looking good!! now watch out for that japan traffic !!
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

1977 z650b1 project with pics-need help! 14 Jan 2010 21:05 #342941

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Congratulations on a job well done, it looks great.

Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

1977 z650b1 project with pics-need help! 15 Jan 2010 08:59 #342968

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
cobura,

Good stuff! Your confidence and competence must be sky-high right now. Really well done.

Play safe out there... remember, we need you around to help-out other new members.

Best of success. :)
Bill
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada