Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

begining of my 650 build 18 Oct 2009 07:05 #328190

• hardr0ck68
  • hardr0ck68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
Is this bearing surface something to be concerned about... to me it looks like the outside of the tranny bearing is spinning.
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

begining of my 650 build 18 Oct 2009 07:08 #328192

• hardr0ck68
  • User
last one for now;

Where I stand as of this morning. The easy stuff is about done... soon it will be all feeler gauges and torque wrenches.
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Attachments:

begining of my 650 build 18 Oct 2009 14:59 #328274

• perattzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Great I can just watch you make the mistakes so when I strip my 650 down I don't have to. ;) Just kidding...looking good. I'm in the same boat as you, trying to build a bike in the living room corner...luckily my roomate is too, so no butting heads there. Any plans for the rest of the bike? Keep it up.
1978 KZ650B w/ Zuki running gear project

begining of my 650 build 18 Oct 2009 16:32 #328293

• hardr0ck68
  • User
I talked to a local wrecker, when a busa, zx14 or zx12 complete front end come in for a fair price then I will pick that up.

I want to use a big bike's front end because the weight on those bikes is within +- 20 lbs of the 650.

I also have a tracy body, it is at a friends shop; when he gets around to it he will sand blast it for me. Then when I get around to it I will make a fiberglass seat pan and get it upolstered; then finally my friend knows a guy who will paint it for me for cost. I am going to go with turbo750 colors/ design

Some other tricks are a full stainless system of of a mid 90's kawi and an Innovate wideband o2 sensor to take the guesswork out of jetting (jetting will go away when I get FI but that is yet another project!)

Basically this is the build that never ends!
1977 kz650 c1

begining of my 650 build 18 Oct 2009 17:59 #328303

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
I'll be whatching as I just picked up another C model where the engine has already been taken apart. Why I'm not sure.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

begining of my 650 build 18 Oct 2009 20:28 #328334

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
hardr0ck68 wrote:

I talked to a local wrecker, when a busa, zx14 or zx12 complete front end come in for a fair price then I will pick that up.

I want to use a big bike's front end because the weight on those bikes is within +- 20 lbs of the 650.

I also have a tracy body, it is at a friends shop; when he gets around to it he will sand blast it for me. Then when I get around to it I will make a fiberglass seat pan and get it upolstered; then finally my friend knows a guy who will paint it for me for cost. I am going to go with turbo750 colors/ design

Some other tricks are a full stainless system of of a mid 90's kawi and an Innovate wideband o2 sensor to take the guesswork out of jetting (jetting will go away when I get FI but that is yet another project!)

Basically this is the build that never ends!

tracy body i had was fiber glass,wouldnt reccomend sand blasting. :blink:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

begining of my 650 build 19 Oct 2009 03:53 #328353

• hardr0ck68
  • User
It is a fiberglass body,

The guy who is gonna do the paint is the one who told us to blast it, it has about 1mm of old paint caked onto it everywhere... so how would you recommend removing it?

When it comes to body work I defer, and when my friend Rob tells me the guy he knows is the best around; I listen. Rob knows his crap and only works with others who know there crap.
1977 kz650 c1

begining of my 650 build 19 Oct 2009 03:58 #328354

• hardr0ck68
  • User
got me so worried I gogled it;

www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/wayn..._25_sandblasting.htm

Seems it doesn't bother air plane wings, and if buddy is going to fly on those I can feel safe enough to sit on my blasted fiberglass. B)
1977 kz650 c1

begining of my 650 build 22 Oct 2009 14:28 #328922

• hardr0ck68
  • User
I have been taping parts up to get them ready for sand blasting.

I realized the cylinder head has 4 completely buggered spark plug holes (thanks Kawsakiman! :angry: ) J/K of course, it was free so no issue.

Now I have to decide, buy a timesert kit for $125ish or try and find another head. It is like 6 of one or a half dozen of the other.... if I buy the kit, hey new tool. If I buy the head then I can look for a head that is ready to go (this one also needs valve guides)...bugger

new head more parts
timeserts new tool
new head could be ready to go
new head could need lossa work as well

and to make things worse;
I got hosed on the zx600 tranny. I only paid $40, but the tranny that was "in good usable condition" has sticky bearing that don't like to spin. It has a gear with pitted teeth and best of all it has a gear with a broken dog. Oh yeah and the started clutch that came with it is shot as well.

I know I only paid $40, but had I known this thing was hammered I would have bought a $50, or $60 set or whatever I need to pay to get a GOOD transmission. I hate poor ebay sellers. When I sell junk I let it be known that it is junk!
1977 kz650 c1

Last edit: by hardr0ck68.

begining of my 650 build 22 Oct 2009 14:49 #328928

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
hardr0ck68 wrote:

got me so worried I gogled it;

www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/wayn..._25_sandblasting.htm

Seems it doesn't bother air plane wings, and if buddy is going to fly on those I can feel safe enough to sit on my blasted fiberglass. B)

interesting! B)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

begining of my 650 build 22 Oct 2009 19:05 #329039

• thompsonmx100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I think sand blasting fiberglass should be fine. I'd probably glass bead it. Are you going to installe the zx6 trans in your 650 motor?
2006 gs 500 streetfighter
1982 gpz750 breathed on wreck
1985 gpz750
Kz 650

begining of my 650 build 22 Oct 2009 19:33 #329044

• hardr0ck68
  • User
yeah, the zx6 trans is the same (as far as I can tell) as the kz550. It will give me 2 overdrive gears, but I hope I can gear the bike down low enough so it will pull hard in 5th and 6th. The real bonus is of course a 6 speed tranny.

I am going to pick up another set of gears from a zx600 or kz550, this time I am going to say from the get go "if they are fucked I will leave negative feedback, without giving you a chance to explain"

::Rant/::
To many ebayers are using the threat of reversing negative feedback. As I see it, if you sell something and say it is in good shape and it is not, that's a lie and you deserve the negative feedback. But then they turn around and hit the buyer (who already paid for a broken or crap widget) with negative feedback for not talking about it enough before leaving feedback. I DON'T WANNA FUCKING TALK, I WANT WHAT I PAID FOR!!! ::/Rant::
1977 kz650 c1