Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Craigslist KZ1000ltd find, what is it? 05 Sep 2009 13:19 #319291

• Zoo Mob
  • Zoo Mob's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So can anyone tell me what the differences to the harnesses are?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Craigslist KZ1000ltd find, what is it? 05 Sep 2009 16:15 #319308

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Zoo Mob wrote:

So can anyone tell me what the differences to the harnesses are?

LTD's had their on supplement manual for wiring and other minor differences. Unfortunately, they're in black & white.

Clymer sold a manual for 900/1000 that had most of the electrical diagrams in color. I'll check to see if the LTDs are in that manual. I don't believe they are.

I have a 79 LTD wiring schematic. If you need it, holler with a PM and I'll get it to you.

79 model had the newer style alternator, reg/rec combined into one electrical component. Earlier models had the reg and rec as separate units.

I do believe you could make the 78 alternator work with the 79 harness and reg/rec combo unit. Probably will need to modify some connectors from the stator to the combo unit.

79's had starter lockout switch on clutch lever. 78's did not. Can be easily bypassed.

I think 78 was first year of no headlight on/off on US models. 79 for sure had that.

To check starter: Does voltage get to the relay when the starter button is depressed? If no...check the switch itself. Common problem is corrosion on the starter button contacts.

If yes, but relay doen't click, try jumping relay with screw driver, key on, bike in neutral.

With the two wiring diagrams, you shuld have little trouble sorting things out.

Anyway you look at it. If the bike has a title and you don't want to fix it yourself. Give someone else a shot at it. Don't parts that bike out. It's too good to do that to.

JMO

Larry C

Craigslist KZ1000ltd find, what is it? 05 Sep 2009 22:11 #319394

• Zoo Mob
  • Zoo Mob's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Picked up a clymer, and was pretty pissed to see that all of the wiring diagrams were in b/w. I think I may go for it and try and get this thing on the road. Just out of curiosity, how the hell do I get the carbs off? It doesn't seem like simply loosening the clamps will make them loose enough the way it has on the CB750's I'm more familiar with. Also, I think I might be able to get my hands on a harness and/or the rest of the electrical components from an earlier bike, would that make some sense to do?