• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ200 Bobber 17 Jun 2009 07:09 #299863

• M2bueller
  • M2bueller's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Mental health is overated
  • Thank you received: 0
This is my first post here so I'll make it a good one. I snagged this '78 KZ200 for $100.00.

It was complete and had sat for at least 10 years. After 2 carb rebuilds, new coil and new battery it cranked up and actually ran. The orginal tank was junk I found a clean one on Ebay and used it as a basis for what I called a Cafe tracker look.

After seeing a Kikker Hardknock

I decided to build it into a minibobber. She'll be sporting 12" ape hanger bars, a solo sprung seat and a Harley Sportster peanut tank.
I've removed the rear A frame and am in the process of hardtailing it.

Since it's a '78 it has a points ignition. As I understand it the '83s have a CDI ignition. Does anyone have any idea what it would take to convert it over to a stock or aftermarket CDI?
1978 KZ200
1996 Harley XL1200
1987 S10 Blazer
1983 Chris Craft Scorpion.
I guess I should buy something from this century

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ200 Bobber 17 Jun 2009 07:40 #299875

• Barber
  • User
Man you didn't do bad at all for a hundred bucks... Looks like a neat little project...
Green 76 Z900 A4

KZ200 Bobber 17 Jun 2009 08:08 #299879

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 303
I'd love to have a KZ200 drop into my lap...looks like fun.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

KZ200 Bobber 18 Jun 2009 07:36 #300208

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
great project.i like the street tracker look,but can dig a traditional rigid just as well.keep us posted.

leon holmes
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

KZ200 Bobber 19 Jun 2009 13:06 #300636

• Sircraigery
  • User
Sweet deal man!

I got a '77 KZ650 for $350. I'm in the same situation you are.... building a bobber. HI5!

I bought a sportster tank, and some 10" apes (apes are illegal here), and a brown leather solo seat.

New coils, points, and condensers, one HELL of a carb cleaning, and she also fired right up. I'm about $1200 into my project and only have tires left to buy.

I'm writing exams right now (Petro Eng Stnd), so I haven't put the goodies on yet. I"m still tinkering try to straighten this damned back wheel after the hardtail conversion.

Be VERY careful when you take the forks out - the bottom ball-bearings will scatter all over the floor LOL.

If your wondering, the up-bend on the bottom rails is about 26 degrees from horizontal and it seems to look nice. Need any help/advice, let me know. This is my first build, but I've learned a shit load (and I've rode bikes since I was 5).

Craig

Attachments:

Last edit: by Sircraigery.

KZ200 Bobber 19 Jun 2009 13:12 #300637

• Sircraigery
  • User
To convert it, I believe you need a set of solid state "contacts".

They are on ebay for under $200. I'm not sure if you need the ignitor box, probably....and those are about $300.

Personally....I think it's not worth it. partsnmore.com has a set of points and condensors for $20, $5 shipping. I got mine from them, and they were awesome.

Also got sprockets/grips/...etc. To Hell with ebay haha.

KZ200 Bobber 19 Jun 2009 13:50 #300648

• M2bueller
  • User
Craig, BTDT on the forks. I chased ball bearings for an hour with a magnet. Boy they must think those solid state ignitions are gold. The last one I bought was for a Sportster project and that was a Harley Screaming Eagle ignition I got for $185.00.I guess I can live with points. I'll just have to get used to carrying a pack of matches in my pocket to gap them.
I've got a set of 12" apes on the bike now. I'm trading a sportster king tank for a peanut tank tomorrow. I've got a rear fender sitting in my spare parts pile all ready to go. I'll be going with a solo seat with clothes pin style springs when the time comes.
1978 KZ200
1996 Harley XL1200
1987 S10 Blazer

KZ200 Bobber 20 Jun 2009 11:36 #300907

• Sircraigery
  • User
Awesome, our bikes should look fairly similar. I got the clothes style seat springs too haha.

I hope to be done mine in a month...but we'll see. School is really starting to pickup.

I actually lost 2 -3 of my ball bearings. I'm trying to find replacements, but it's near impossible to find a place that sells them individually. I might just go with some whole conversions. They are only $40 on that site, could be worse.

When do you figure you'll be done yours?

KZ200 Bobber 20 Jun 2009 11:43 #300909

• M2bueller
  • User
Sircraigery wrote:

I actually lost 2 -3 of my ball bearings. I'm trying to find replacements, but it's near impossible to find a place that sells them individually. I might just go with some whole conversions. They are only $40 on that site, could be worse.

When do you figure you'll be done yours?

The rule of thumb is if you lost your balls you should look long and hard to find them before trying to ride a hardtail.B)

Actually if you did lose any make sure you have the right number on the lower race first. That is where all you weight is carried.

Mine is sort of a hit or miss project. When I get the inspiration, I work on it between working on my Supermoto my boat and my street rod. :woohoo:

I'm actually shooting for Labor day when the weather down here really gets nice for riding.
1978 KZ200
1996 Harley XL1200
1987 S10 Blazer

KZ200 Bobber 14 Mar 2010 18:59 #353477

• Sircraigery
  • User
Just thought I'd give you an update, I spent $35 on ebay and bought some conversion bearings.

I lost a couple balls, and tried to rig in some others (slightly bigger), spaced with the smaller ones..... Figured, it's probably best I just spend the cash now.

How is your bike coming?

KZ200 Bobber 15 Mar 2010 03:15 #353565

• M2bueller
  • User
I've been working on mine bit by bit. I've got the frame hardtailed, the seat, tank, rear fender and a complete Harley Sportster front end for it.I took some measurements, the KZ neck stem and the Harley's are the same size. I'm going to get a set of bearing cups so I can use Harley style Timken bearings. Attached is a pic of the frame after I tacked it together.
1978 KZ200
1996 Harley XL1200
1987 S10 Blazer
Attachments:

KZ200 Bobber 21 Mar 2010 01:44 #355098

• colojim
  • User
Keep us posted, I have a 76 kz400 I'm headed down the same road with. Just got it, have been contemplating waiting for winter to start, but decided to try to get her done before the real nice weather gets here. Are you happy with the swing arm hard tail? Was thinking of doing the same thing, but would like to stretch it a little bit. Really interested in the sportster front end, looking forward to hearing how that comes out. I was thinking about a springer. Anyone know where to pick up a springer? What kind? Would it call for some major fabrication?

• Page: