• Page:

TOPIC:

1978 KZ650. First bike project 10 May 2009 16:56 #289967

• RiceReaper
  • RiceReaper's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Race it, Dont Rice it
  • Thank you received: 0
Right so the bike isnt too too bad but. The guy my dad bought it from kinda did some weird things to it.

My plans currently are to bring the bike back to stock as much as I can. Just make it look clean and proper, instead of the current mess its in now.

I don't know all that much about the bikes history, Other then the previous owner did not have alot of respect for the bike. After misplacing his keys, He proceeded to jam a screwdriver into the keyslot to start the bike from there on out.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks for checking it out

The backyard mechanic extraordinaire
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RiceReaper. Reason: Something went wrong and it is constantly posting the same picture

1978 KZ650. First bike project 10 May 2009 17:13 #289989

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
First off replace the ignition switch so you have a proper set of keys! Does it run? Even if it does, clean the carbs, change the oil and filter, lube the chain, take it for a spin and then start with the other needs it may have. Forks leak, brakes, what have you... Then shine it up, put your spin of things on it. Make it your ride and ride it often!!
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

1978 KZ650. First bike project 10 May 2009 17:24 #289995

• RiceReaper
  • User
  • Race it, Dont Rice it
It does run, Not incredibly well, But it starts fine. I think the carbs need a good cleaning. I know theres probably something wrong with the alternator because the battery refuses to hold much of a charge. Theres also a pinhole in the exhaust, but I dont care about that, because I planned on a nice new Kerker. My first list of things to do was change the oil and filter, Im still researching some different kinds of oil, I want something thats going to do the engine some good. Ive got a Clymer manual here, Ive been combing through that. The nice weather is starting to JUST roll around so, I can bring the bike out and start to play around with it. Hopefully riding time isnt too far away.

Thanks

1978 KZ650. First bike project 10 May 2009 18:13 #290007

• The Garbone
  • User
  • User is Currently waiting for his bailout check..
Very nice machine... Looks pretty complete except the Pod air filters.

I myself have just picked up a running 79'KZ650 that is in much worse shape than yours. I look at the entire restoration as a good way to get to know my bike..
2007 Royal Enfield Iron
1979 KZ650 & Hack
1949 Ford 8n

1978 KZ650. First bike project 10 May 2009 18:22 #290011

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Welcome aboard, guys.

Nice to see more 650s on the board.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

1978 KZ650. First bike project 10 May 2009 20:17 #290062

• Link14
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Nice project, glad to hear you're looking to go stock....my favorite. I'd try to get a factory manual if you can, I think the info in it is much more detailed. I'd also be careful getting too fancy with your oil choice. Alot of todays oils with their special additives don't do good things to a wet clutch system.

Have fun!

1978 KZ650. First bike project 10 May 2009 20:23 #290064

• RiceReaper
  • User
  • Race it, Dont Rice it
Yeah someone told me TOO good of an oil will make the clutch slip, But I don't want to go with something crappy. I found a nice AMSoil Synthetic 20w50 I think it was. It says its good for wet clutches so I think il try that.

As for what I want to do with it, I havent 100% decided, But I figure restoring it a little is a good place to start before I start adding to it. Just to make sure its back to factory specs and operating guidelines.

1978 KZ650. First bike project 10 May 2009 20:29 #290066

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
welcome to z-jungle!thats not so bad take her to the car wash for good degunking,change the oil and throw a tuneup on it first to get a baseline of what you have .then just start fixing and polishing as you go! B)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

1978 KZ650. First bike project 10 May 2009 23:55 #290117

• switch
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000m CSR
Rice - Don't forget to keep the original key (if you have it) as it will open your other locks (seat, helmets, etc.)
1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (gone)
You do not have to believe everything you think!

1978 KZ650. First bike project 11 May 2009 18:07 #290354

• The Garbone
  • User
  • User is Currently waiting for his bailout check..
I spayed my rig down with some WD-40 and wiped with a rag... Took all that old crud off and left a nice protective coating....B)
2007 Royal Enfield Iron
1979 KZ650 & Hack
1949 Ford 8n

1978 KZ650. First bike project 11 May 2009 18:30 #290360

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Regarding the oil - do a search on this forum and you'll find a lot of good discussion and facts. However, I would first change the oil/filter and just put in some inexpensive oil; run the bike until hot, and change oil/filter again to flush out some of the leftover crud from previous owner. Then put in the good stuff. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

1978 KZ650. First bike project 11 May 2009 18:57 #290377

• gane
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Rice, welcome. enjoy your' ride.. I like the 650, have one myself. They are remarkably hardy, Good looking and simple. Some thoughts..from appearance, bike has been sitting. Thus a thorough carb clean is in order. at a guess, roughly 90% of running probs are carb related. study -up,verify all passages are clear. jets and float valves are just the beginning.the difference between a zed that simply runs and fails to pee on the floor and a properly jetted bike w/clean carbs is phenominal. Battery's which fail to hold charge, can be either aged batteries/bad rectifiers/bad wiring/charging systems, et:all. for grins, charge battery then disconnect. check again after setting. For oils, don't go overboard. starter clutches are a frequent prob w/the 650 and synthetic's could ascerbate prob. a conventional petroleum based detergent oil changed at perscribed intervals will not only be sufficent for lubrication, but clean internals as well. again, welcome. hope this helps, G
[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• Page: