Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

First bike, first project, have questions. 05 Jan 2009 22:34 #256380

• KawiConvert
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I bought this same auction for foam and 2 yards of this foam as a topper .

I got extra for redoing my seat. Also thinking of going more to a gunfighter style seat to make it back into a two person bike. Only time will tell.
1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First bike, first project, have questions. 06 Jan 2009 00:44 #256387

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
KawiConvert wrote:

The pillows use a softer foam than mattresses and it works well for an 8lb head, but not a 180lb posterior. .

If she was 180 she would probably need a bigger bike. :laugh:
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

First bike, first project, have questions. 06 Jan 2009 01:51 #256391

• KawiConvert
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
donthekawguy wrote:

KawiConvert wrote:

The pillows use a softer foam than mattresses and it works well for an 8lb head, but not a 180lb posterior. .

If she was 180 she would probably need a bigger bike. :laugh:

Can't.... find.... picture.... of.... offensive.... lineman.... on.... Honda..... scooter.... *gasp*.

Where.... is... Plummen.... when.... I.... need.... him... ?

Weight can be an issue, but I am well past 200lb's and I think a little 250 would be a blast. Thats just me though, some guys think a bigger bike compensates for poor self-confidence. :)

Alright on the weight though, if your head weighs 8lbs and your posterior weighs 108lb's the pillow is still little more than rounding off the sharp corners of the bolts in the seat pan. :)
1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

First bike, first project, have questions. 06 Jan 2009 04:14 #256395

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225

Don't worry, OMR, although some do consider me a lady, I tend to prefer things that aren't suited to skirts. And I'm really not that easy to offend...

Forgot to mention, there's another reason why I asked as well... Another member here, no names, JORDAN... Is away at college and left his computer on with KZR logged on... Need I say more...

Well, his room mate added a line to his posting as a coming out of the closet homosexual... Us being the way we are, :blush: , had a little fun at Jordan's expense...

Unfortunately, we don't here much from him any longer, :huh: , too bad for we liked the kid and he does some really nice work... :laugh: :laugh:

Welcome aboard!

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

First bike, first project, have questions. 06 Jan 2009 18:11 #256478

• timebomb33
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
check outthe kz250 gallery there is one neat looking little cafe racer type bike in there use it for insperation goodluck and have alot of fun with it.
1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

First bike, first project, have questions. 10 Jan 2009 13:37 #257109

• JLove
  • JLove's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Both the boys are gone today so I had the garage and the house to myself. I got everything off and the little guy is down to a rolling chassis.
After sitting on it again and now looking at the bare frame, I know for sure that there will be some chopping. Also, those forks have got to go.
Now the hard part: waiting for the right parts before I start cutting into it...
Day 1 Before:

Day 1 After:

First bike, first project, have questions. 10 Jan 2009 18:37 #257154

• gane
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
J, Looking at your' rolling chassis, have couple thoughts. 1st, that a KZ400D front end IE; disc brake and beefier forks and wheel might be an opt,(in this era, stem bearings were often same) as a wild assed guess, would also be an inch or so shorter. also, by cutting rear frame rails aft of shock mounts@ 3/4 thru, and heating, rear rails could be lowered to make them nearly parallel to rest of frame, (ie the rails below tank and leading to front of seat. this would allow fabbing a seat pan of nearly flat proportions. providing say a 2" pad for rider, (about minimum for extended comfort) and roughly a 4" drop from stock seat at rear. It would be nice, if say a cb450 or cb360 tank were of close enough in length to be fitted. random thoughts.and perhaps will spark your' own G
[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

First bike, first project, have questions. 10 Jan 2009 18:42 #257155

• franknsr
  • User
Choppin ya say, eh? Sounds intriguing. I can just hear the purists in here shuddering. ;-)
Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

First bike, first project, have questions. 10 Jan 2009 18:51 #257156

• gane
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
PS, If you decide to make your' own seat, I strongly rec. using old seat's foam as donor, as seat foam is very dense, a prerequistie for both comfort AND presenting a finished product that does't look like a sack of marbles/bean bag chair. g
[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

First bike, first project, have questions. 10 Jan 2009 22:10 #257189

• joerider
  • User
Hi from Bay City, MI. I would keep surfing ebay for a "cafe seat", "clubman handle bars" and a Suzuki "GS450" gas tank not the tear drop style like you have but the square cafe type tank. Just my two cents.

First bike, first project, have questions. 11 Jan 2009 07:36 #257215

• JLove
  • User
Gane, thanks for the front end suggestions, I'll check that out. I was planning to lower the rear to make it parallel and have been eying up a couple H1-H2 triple tanks.
Not really sure what I'm going to do for bars yet, but I think that I will be avoiding the classic drop bars that appear in so many pictures.
Joerider, I grew up in Auburn! And I'm not keeping the teardrop tank.

First bike, first project, have questions. 14 Jan 2009 09:46 #257851

• JLove
  • User
This 400D front end...
I'd be much appreciative if someone can give me some info:
travel distance, OD of upper shock (in order to keep the triple tree that I have or will I have to replace that, too?), height (axle to top of tube, or some other defined distance), and any other swap-critical details I might need to know.

I'll be looking for one in the next month or so, so if anyone has one they'll be looking to get rid of, let me know.