Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Work in progress bike 22 Mar 2017 17:10 #757420

• lucasr225
  • lucasr225's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi im Lucas I'm just getting into riding and i have a 1981 kz750 that i would like to fix up and update to some modern times. the bike runs and I'm just doing basic maintenance (carbs, spark plugs, coils,... etc) some old parts are hard to find so if you guys know of any updates that i could do to by pass that problem that'd be much appreciated.
1981 kz750 e2 standard 4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Work in progress bike 22 Mar 2017 18:18 #757424

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Welcome Lucas
If you dont have a manual you can find one at 750turbo.com/manuals. Grab the 5th one from bottom gpz750 base manual. It will cover your model.
What parts do you need ? Youd be surprised at what is still available.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Work in progress bike 22 Mar 2017 19:11 #757431

• lucasr225
  • lucasr225's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for the manual link. i just bought new coils from a salvage shop because i could not get the coil coil #2 & #3 off of sites like partzilla and I currently have the carbs apart because for some reason when the chokes on the bike will begin to randomly hi-idle above 3-4k and will die after some time if i turn the choke off. i had just changed the throttle cable so i amuse it is something to do with the carbs. i have playing to do with it to figure these hiccups out. i still have to sync the carbs so well see.
1981 kz750 e2 standard 4

Last edit: by lucasr225.

Work in progress bike 22 Mar 2017 20:32 #757436

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
If the salvage yard coils dont work out then I believe the green Dyna coils should work for your model
www.z1enterprises.com/dyna-single-output...oils-pair-dc3-1.html
Z1Enterprises is a popular source for parts.

When I start my 1980 750/4 on full choke it will stumble after about 30 seconds at which time I turn the choke down a tad and the idle smooths out at about 1500rpm. If I leave it running to warm up then the idle will climb and I'll turn the choke down a bit more but it could take 10 or 15 minutes minutes running like this to fully warm up. I'm usually riding within a few minutes of start up and will be several traffic lights down the road before I can fully turn the choke off.
These old kawasakis are nototiously cold blooded so there may be an element of "normal" in what you are seeing.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by JR.
  • Page: