Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Member St Pete, FL! 29 Apr 2016 22:32 #723696

• Head Freq
  • Head Freq's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
EDIT: apparently this forum doesn't like imgur's linking procedure after the .jpg...working on it right now

Hey all, new member from the dirty south.
Just picked up a '78 KZ650SR that needs some electrical gremlins sorted out.
16k miles, engine has been rebuilt and runs brilliantly, and I got her for $800.

I'm fairly new to bikes, but not new to working on vehicles. I've had multiple Miatas that I've done most of the work on (including a full engine replacement on one), as well as a few other vehicles. Got a '94 XJ 600 Seca II a few months ago and that's becoming my girlfriend's bike, and that was my introduction to riding. Can't get enough of it now!

I wanted a project I can make my own (I love cafe racer builds and have for years) and I love the potential in the KZs, plus it's a little different from the usual CB builds.

Here is the bike, with the XJ next to it.

Dug into her a bit...the tank will need some surface rust cleaned out but it isn't too bad...my worry is the lights. Headlight, tails, and blinkers won't go. Tach, neutral, and fuel warning lights work though and the fuses are good, so I'm thinking relay? The starter is really finicky but I can kick-start it comfortably so I might just remove the starter altogether. I've got some work ahead of me to get this bike where I want it, but I think it's worth the money I got it for just considering the engine is A++

Doesn't look too bad there, but here's where it gets a little hairy

I've been consulting the wiring diagram that's on this forum (I'm super glad that both this and the .info forum exist and have these files readily available) and in the span of a couple of hours sorted out some of the wires. I need to get in there with a voltmeter and figure out exactly what's going wrong.

Cheers guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Head Freq.

New Member St Pete, FL! 29 Apr 2016 22:41 #723697

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Welcome.
If you download a pic from your computer's drive, then it will always be on KZrider, and won't get deleted.
Looking forward to seeing your bike.
Ride safe,
Tim
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

New Member St Pete, FL! 29 Apr 2016 22:48 #723698

• Head Freq
  • User

ltdrider wrote: Welcome.
If you download a pic from your computer's drive, then it will always be on KZrider, and won't get deleted.
Looking forward to seeing your bike.
Ride safe,
Tim

Very true! I always keep my images up on Imgur as well though, I have many spanning back years and they don't have bandwidth or size limits or anything.

New Member St Pete, FL! 29 Apr 2016 22:51 #723699

• Head Freq
  • User
Oh, and here are some pictures of my car as well!

New Member St Pete, FL! 30 Apr 2016 01:09 #723707

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 301
Welcome, welcome to KZR. Never discard that SR exhaust system...an original system, like you have, can be quite pricey. :)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

New Member St Pete, FL! 30 Apr 2016 13:31 #723799

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Welcome to Kzr Head Freq! I would say you got a great deal! I searched for 3 months before finding a Z. Figured they would be plentiful in Fl but was not the case. So you are very fortunate to have found one at that price. Mine a was $700 non runner with an engine that still needs refreshing. So you are way ahead of the game. I'm in Fl too. Up in Citrus county. I have a KZ900 and two XJ550 SECA's as well. One is a 81 the other a 82. Looking forward to seeing progress on your project. I would suggest not cutting anything up. Your bike will only appreciate in value. Values have moved up quite a bit in the last few years. You can turn it into a nice cafe bike with simple bolt on parts. And if you ever decide to move away from the cafe, you can turn it into a nice comfortable original rider. By the way, I ride with a cafe group from time to time: www.meetup.com/Cafe-moto. But it's an hour and half just to get to the starting location for the rides. So do so a couple of times a year. Last time was for the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride back in August. Cheers!
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

New Member St Pete, FL! 30 Apr 2016 13:41 #723801

• Head Freq
  • User

KZJOE900 wrote: Welcome to Kzr Head Freq! I would say you got a great deal! I searched for 3 months before finding a Z. Figured they would be plentiful in Fl but was not the case. So you are very fortunate to have found one at that price. Mine a was $700 non runner with an engine that still needs refreshing. So you are way ahead of the game. I'm in Fl too. Up in Citrus county. I have a KZ900 and two XJ550 SECA's as well. One is a 81 the other a 82. Looking forward to seeing progress on your project. I would suggest not cutting anything up. Your bike will only appreciate in value. Values have moved up quite a bit in the last few years. You can turn it into a nice cafe bike with simple bolt on parts. And if you ever decide to move away from the cafe, you can turn it into a nice comfortable original rider. By the way, I ride with a cafe group from time to time: www.meetup.com/Cafe-moto. But it's an hour and half just to get to the starting location for the rides. So do so a couple of times a year. Last time was for the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride back in August. Cheers!

Unfortunately it had already been cut and shortened slightly...so I guess I won't feel bad if I modify it further

New Member St Pete, FL! 01 May 2016 11:53 #723953

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Yeah, that's par for the course. Lots of bobbers and cafe racers out there that for one reason or another people give up. Bad for them but glad that you are going to rescue the project. Lots of helpful people here. Looking forward to your build.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

New Member St Pete, FL! 06 May 2016 11:12 #724903

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46
Finally some Florida company!
Good luck on your project, and whatever you do, don't ride wearing sandals!
This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!

New Member St Pete, FL! 06 May 2016 11:36 #724906

• Head Freq
  • User

Ed_in_Miami wrote: Finally some Florida company!
Good luck on your project, and whatever you do, don't ride wearing sandals!

Cheers!
I enjoyed reading through your build so far!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed_in_Miami

New Member St Pete, FL! 06 May 2016 14:45 #724945

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Welcome
Steve

• Page: