Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New guy from New Mexico 13 Apr 2015 20:45 #667863

• Rattlecan
  • Rattlecan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys. I just picked up a 1982 650 H3 project and am looking to learn some things about the bike from you guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rattlecan. Reason: errors typing on my phone

New guy from New Mexico 13 Apr 2015 21:13 #667865

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Pics?
Steve

New guy from New Mexico 14 Apr 2015 06:54 #667890

• Rattlecan
  • User
It's not much to look at right now. I'm looking or a different engine this one has a rod knocking.

New guy from New Mexico 14 Apr 2015 07:37 #667894

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Welcome to KZR , Rattlecan !!
I spent some time in NM building some Burger Kings in Rio Rancho and Benallilo.
Saw some beautiful country from my bike.
Ever ride to Madrid to Maggies ? or to Jemez ?

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

New guy from New Mexico 14 Apr 2015 08:47 #667901

• Rattlecan
  • User
Man, I live in Rio Rancho for 14 years. This is a great area for doing things outdoors. I've been to Maggie's and through the Jemez, good times, great areas.

New guy from New Mexico 14 Apr 2015 08:54 #667902

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Rattlecan wrote: It's not much to look at right now. I'm looking or a different engine this one has a rod knocking.

I seriously doubt that! Do a full tune up and the noise you hear will probably go away. It probably is just carbs out of sync, chain tensioner improperly adjusted, etc. Do yourself a big favor and ask on this site how many KZ650 engines have ever had a rod knock. It's obvious that you are new to KZ650 ownership, but as an example, Ronkz650 (a member here) has put about 250,000 miles on KZ650's and hasn't had problem with rods knocking. In fact, one of his KZ650's has 160,000 miles on it without that type of problem! So unless your engine has like a million miles on it I recommend you do, or have someone else do, a full tuneup before replacing the engine, otherwise you may be just throwing money away for no reason. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

New guy from New Mexico 14 Apr 2015 09:28 #667904

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967

Rattlecan wrote: Man, I live in Rio Rancho for 14 years. This is a great area for doing things outdoors. I've been to Maggie's and through the Jemez, good times, great areas.

Ok Then, We have some common experiences riding some of the most beautiful areas on this planet.
I use to ride from my base at the Rio rancho Inn to Phoenix and back and then up to the Denver area. And I was getting paid big bucks to do it too !!!!!
Ever have pie at the Pie Town Café ? Ride down to Lincoln Cty with your posse to see Billy the Kids hang out ?
I met a lot of folks who I still keep in touch with from Alb.
Welcome
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

New guy from New Mexico 14 Apr 2015 10:40 #667910

• Rattlecan
  • User

650ed wrote:

Rattlecan wrote: It's not much to look at right now. I'm looking or a different engine this one has a rod knocking.

I seriously doubt that! Do a full tune up and the noise you hear will probably go away. It probably is just carbs out of sync, chain tensioner improperly adjusted, etc. Do yourself a big favor and ask on this site how many KZ650 engines have ever had a rod knock. It's obvious that you are new to KZ650 ownership, but as an example, Ronkz650 (a member here) has put about 250,000 miles on KZ650's and hasn't had problem with rods knocking. In fact, one of his KZ650's has 160,000 miles on it without that type of problem! So unless your engine has like a million miles on it I recommend you do, or have someone else do, a full tuneup before replacing the engine, otherwise you may be just throwing money away for no reason. Ed

The guy I bought the bike from said it had thrown a rod on #3 and broke one of the case halfs. He replaced the one rod and the case half with a used one using the used rod bearing that came with the rod. The knock is from the lower right side. If it isn't the rod it sure sounds like it. I was going to check the cam chain be before I go much further.

New guy from New Mexico 14 Apr 2015 13:47 #667932

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
When Kawasaki made the crankcase they attached the top and bottom halves and then machined them as a single unit. Notice that the parts diagrams do not show separate part numbers for the top and bottom case halves; they were only sold as a matched set. If the previous owner only replaced half of the case he messed up. I don't know what, if any, effect that may have on the engine. I guess it would depend on how far away the too halves are from being a perfect match. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

New guy from New Mexico 14 Apr 2015 16:20 #667943

• Rattlecan
  • User

650ed wrote: When Kawasaki made the crankcase they attached the top and bottom halves and then machined them as a single unit. Notice that the parts diagrams do not show separate part numbers for the top and bottom case halves; they were only sold as a matched set. If the previous owner only replaced half of the case he messed up. I don't know what, if any, effect that may have on the engine. I guess it would depend on how far away the too halves are from being a perfect match. Ed

Thanks Ed for the info.

Re:New guy from New Mexico 15 Apr 2015 21:36 #668151

• whirlwind598
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Im from the four corners area of NM welcome aboard!

New guy from New Mexico 20 Apr 2015 19:09 #668954

• Rattlecan
  • User
I got the engine out and pulled the pan off. Yep the #3 rod is bad. Tapped on it and it's hollow. The other that I checked was solid. The Pan is full of metal too.

• Page: