TOPIC:

FNG from Annapolis with '83 KZ1000P ... rescue 28 Mar 2015 18:07 #665579

• Mean Green Z28
  • Mean Green Z28's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Guys!

Been around the Automotive scene for a while now (Heavily into GM performance) but just got into the Motorcycle scene again with my first big project. Previously, I had a wrecked Ninja 600 for a few months that I got running and then sold to a friend, but grew up around my dad's KH100.

The bike was advertised as a "halfway complete bobber project" and I got it for a what I felt was a decent price.

At first I thought the foot pegs had been cut off, but further research revealed this bike to be a police version ... and they'd just cut off the running boards.

It came with handlebar and controls supposedly for a Harley (throttle cables works backwards) and a digital Guage cluster and all the bodywork in a tote.

The wiring harness is a nightmare, everything but the main lights and engine controls have been deleted and most wiring hacked up to relocate the switch etc. and integrate the Guage cluster.

I def. have my work cut out for me ... hopefully you guys take kindly to a bunch of noob questions.

It's def not going back to original trim, I may leave it a bobber if I can figure out how to just get it running now. Most wires are brittle and the insulation cracking, rear is already chooped off and any type of mount for anything has been cut off and ground down. The engine turns over when pushed in gear though and it was supposedly running when they started project.

Good to be here!
2010 Camaro 2SS
1983 Kawi KZ1000P ... bag of bolts
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FNG from Annapolis with '83 KZ1000P ... rescue 28 Mar 2015 23:02 #665606

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
First welcome to the forum. I'm not big on the police bikes but have seen some unique baggers made frome then. I can't remember the name of the place but I saw an ad on Facebook for a place in Tucson, AZ that sells used police bike parts. Google I'm sure could help you out.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Re:FNG from Annapolis with '83 KZ1000P ... rescue 29 Mar 2015 18:53 #665686

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
Well I guess I was a bit naive and didn't know about the police versions, lol. Figured out some of the wiring today and replaced some original brittle wires. Gonna start draping the harness on the frame in the next day or so. Need a few things...
2010 Camaro 2SS

Re:FNG from Annapolis with '83 KZ1000P ... rescue 29 Mar 2015 18:54 #665687

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
Using the trailer as a movable bike lift right now, haha
2010 Camaro 2SS
Attachments:

Re:FNG from Annapolis with '83 KZ1000P ... rescue 29 Mar 2015 19:07 #665694

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
The police units can be a great cruiser. Strong and with a little work, hard to beat.
Steve

FNG from Annapolis with '83 KZ1000P ... rescue 30 Mar 2015 08:45 #665778

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
Welcome. There's a few Marylanders on here. I'm just down the Bay in Calvert. Don't have any personal experience with with the KZP's, but I've busted my share of knuckles on Kawasaki 4's. Give me a shout if I can help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mean Green Z28

• Page: