Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  
 Pages:  1  2  3  4  5
Author: Subject: What do you do?
kawiwowi

Mood: Chillin'

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 15:01

I currently work for a large wholesale building supply company. I do several jobs there, like today I set up a display in a store. Good money & great hours but after 5 years I'm getting burned out and looking for something else.
78kz750

Mood: 1979 KZ750-B4

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 15:23

i am sort of an 'apprentice' bike mechanic. Plan on continuing in that field, but going to school to get a degree of some sort eventually.

Brendan Sullivan
1979 Kawasaki KZ750B
1996 Mitsubishi Galant 4g64
4more

Mood: wanting to ride

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 15:28

I am a auto tech at a GM dealership i get the pleasure of everything from modifing camaros to fixing grandmas rattles more of grandmas rattles and farm trucks though i'm 25 married since i was 18 and still going strong, father of 2 girls 5 and 1. one dog HONEY.
the wife said get a bike so we could spend time together with out the kids so far its working for one of us lol !!!!still waiting to take my test so i can carry passengers

IT'S MINE AND I'LL RIDE IT IF I WANT TO
79 kz650c
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member 4more's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
apeman
Posting Freak

Mood: Old--Not dead!

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 15:40

I am a high-priced California lawyer, from a blue collar background. I grew up in south Jersey, where I learned most of my mechanical knowledge from my father (the original "shade tree mechanic";). I picked up some more engineering knowledge during my six years in the Navy where I became a nuclear power plant operator.

I am the quintessential "late bloomer".

I finally started college at age 25 and finished off by going to law school at Berkeley, where I live today.

My wife and I met, and married in 1989 when we were both age 40, and decided to adopt our two children. My son Jorge is now 18 (going on 6!), and my daughter is 12 (going on 22!). Taking them into my home is the most important thing I have ever done, or will ever do. I coach my daughter's softball team (she is a fast pitch pitcher), and I play basketball with my son and a group of other fathers and sons every Sunday morning. (To the preachers out there, I can tell you that is about as close to church as I get.)

I started riding at about age 15, first little Hondas, then BSA, Triumph, BMW and whatever I could borrow from my Navy buddies. I finally bought my first motorcycle a year and a half ago, which cost about $150, which I combined with a "free" bike, and the entire contents of eBay to make one working 1980 KZ750 [4] LTD, plus a shed full of enough parts to make another if I ever get to it. I ride to work a few days a week across the Bay Bridge into San Francisco.

Apeman :cool:

Ralph Kerstetter
cblwilson

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 15:51
US Air Force

I'm a Staff Sergeant in the US Air Force, 14 years and still going. I work for a civil engineering squadron managing our work orders.

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by cblwilson]

Chris Wilson
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member cblwilson's Yahoo
SnackMan

Mood: Phronemophobic

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 15:57

Well, uh, I'm a SnackMan:cool:

"....If This An't The Blues I Dont Want To Be Here When The Real Thing Comes Along..."
"....Some folks say that I'm egotistical.
Hell, I don't even know what that means.
I guess it has something to do with the way that I
fill out my skin tight blue jeans."

1978 KZ1000 :P
OnkelB
Posting Freak

Mood: busy

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 16:04

Work at a small printers/decorators/signmakers shop doing everything from business cards to car decorations and shop facades. Used to be an office machine tech fixing copiers and stuff and I worked a couple of years as a gardener.

Played the guitar for almost 30 years, for good money too, even got a deal and an album back in the 80īs. Still playing out on weekends to support my lifestyle (and because I just gotta). Been getting into electronic music and harddiscrecording lateley - have a small home studio set up where I spend a lot of time (single atm).
mazdog

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 16:25

well looks like I have the most fun job of all..I do blown in fiberglass attic insulation..oh yeah
britman

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 16:27

mon - fri, i repair/ install office coffee machines , and on saturdays i strip bikes at a motorcycle breakers..
fightingbouncer
Posting Freak

Mood: Swing!

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 16:30

I have 3 jobs, one fulltime and two part time, I work 8 days a week!

My fulltime job position is at a sawmill, there i am a saweur. There i run trim saws, multicuts, and gang saw. The next step is on to the edger and then on to the head saw were the big money is. But untill then I work part time at The Beer Store, thats right i sell beer to all the locals on the weekends. Then after they get good and drunk , they end up at the bar were i am a bouncer, and i get to babysit them for the rest of the night.

Other than that i am 28, single and dating, and i still don't know what i want to be when i grow up. But until then I will have fun with my '76 KZ750 twin, when i have some free time!

OMG! I just relized....cut lumber...beer...fight, and did i say that i played hockey for 15 years.... I could be the poster boy for CANADA!:o

Old School Is Damn Cool!

'84 GPz900R Ninja
'76 KZ750B1 Twin
http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetemp_both/language/www/global/stations/71368.gif
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member fightingbouncer's ICQ status
roadrasher

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 16:32

I am a Electronic Technician at a Aerospace company in upstate New York. We built gauges for Boeing Commercial and Military airplanes. Man, I gotta tell ya, this airline industry is in the crapper lately. I'm lucky to even still have a job! I manage to ride my bikes to work at least 2-3 times a week.

Ride Fast and Take Chances

RoadRasher

2001 ZX11
1979 KZ400 LTD

Whiskey bent and hell bound
tvanc542

Mood: Agitated! Need

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 16:36

Apeman, What kind of law do you practice? I'm working with the public defenders and they are my hero's. I'm not sure if I'd want their job, but I'm very interested in criminal law. If we (society) is going to put somebody in a cage, I hope they deserve to be there. Unfortunatly, I think many people fall through the cracks. In the county that I'm working the DA's are bringing charges on worthless checks for $6. It's pretty sick. Also our most recent DA is under investigation for accepting money to his slush fund and offering them deferred procecution agreements. Hmmm. If you've got money, I guess you might not have to go to jail. He just ran for attorney general for the state and was just barely beaten. Wheeew! I was sure to vote!

Anyhow, sorry everybody if I'm way off topic here, but it really has been an education for me. I'm 24 now and I think I'll probably end up with a law degree too someday.
texZN1100

Mood: hellabusy work

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 16:42

I'm a high priced patent litigator, aka attorney, in Austin, TX, b ut, like apeman, took the long road to get there.

Graduated college in '90 with a double major in biology and philosophy. Then got my Masters in Molecular and Cell Bio.

Taught high school bio for two years, then went into the technical side of theatre for several years doing lighting design, set design, technical direction, stage management, and damn near anything else back stage.

Moved into commercial and residential lighting design and managed a lighting showroom for about three or four years until the wife said, "I know you wanna go to law school. I'm making enough money, quit your job and go to law school."

Marred eight years and going strong. No kids, one cat, many deceased dogs.

Now living the lawyer life, inherited the ZN1100 from a landlord, first bike in over 15 years.

Great to hear all these responses!
cncer69

Mood: A to the M-Fing

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 16:51

I'm a DC Power Installer for the phone companies. I basically hook-up 700lb batteries and their chargers so everybody can sleep well at night knowing that the telephone will always stay on.:D

It was a very good job at one time, but the telecom industry took a BIG hit a few years back. Now I wonder daily how long I'll have a job for. Think it might be time to look for something else.

I have 8 years of college, but I changed majors so much that my 200 credit hours don't add up to a degree:(

So, here I sit...

[Edited on 14-8-2003 by cncer69]

[Edited on 14-8-2003 by cncer69]

'04 R1!
apeman
Posting Freak

Mood: Old--Not dead!

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 16:52

Quote:
Originally posted by tvanc542
Apeman, What kind of law do you practice? .... I'm 24 now and I think I'll probably end up with a law degree too someday.

I represent large corporate clients involved in complex and high value transactions, many in the real estate area. I enjoy dealing with people, and dealing with complex matters, so that part is good, but the economy has taken its toll, so business is way off. I have never done criminal work, and must admit I would have moral difficulty defending a rapist or murderer, and on the other side would not enjoy prosecuting poor people for passing a $6 bad check, or for minor drug offenses, for example. So, I just stay away from that part of the practice.

Law school can be a good route, if you don't mind the stresses that come with practicing law, and the fact that you have to deal with d*mn lawyers all the time. It is similar to being a doctor -- all they see all day long are sick people. Lawyers all day long see people with problems. It can give you a skewed view of society if you do not make a point to get away from it all and spend time with normal people. When I was in my 30's and single, dating the entire female population of California, I made it a point not to date women who were lawyers. There were other things I wanted to talk to them about besides the law.

Apeman :cool:
KZ1000 Shaft

Mood: Orgulous

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 17:24

I am the Director of Aviation and Chief Pilot (read: only pilot) of a small company here in the space coast of Florida. And like roadrasher said, aviation in general is in the crapper. When I am not flying for the company I also do safety investigations trying to keep the lawyers out of our pockets (no offense to the laywers here, but sometimes you guys dig too deep).

A ship at harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are for.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft
teachers
Posting Freak

Mood: KZR # 347

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 17:25

Wow. Great thread Rev. My member name kinda gives it all away, but here's the details.

Like some of the others I keep myself busy with lots of stuff.

My regular fulltime job is a HS Business Ed & Computer Teacher.

My evenings invlolve teaching, too. I teach an adult education class in MS Office for folks wanting to upgrade or add to their skills sets for a promotion or to re-enter the workforce.

I also do some adjunct instructor work for a local university in their graduate education department. Again, its computer and technology classes.

My favorite 'job' is my family. I married my high school sweetheart, Janice, in '97. We're both school teachers in our early 30's and have 2 wonderful daughters: Cinnamon, age 2, and Vienna, 3 months. Oh yeat, can't forget my Basett hound, Bart. He's been with me for 12 years now.

-Duane

"An armed society is a polite society." -Robert Heinlein .

1981 KZ 750 E2 - sold
Pictures updated 8/1/04
Proper gear is essential for all riders.

2004 Aprilia RST Futura - aka 'April'
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member teachers's Aim
focus frenzy

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 18:48

I am a commercial truck mechanic (class 5 to class 8), with a license in commercial refrigeration (608) for Penske truck leasing and rental. (yes that Penske!)

when I am not doing that, I am a captain, engineer and first responder for the Nolan volunteer fire department.

I am 36 still single, no kids that I know off:D
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
cruzerjd

Mood: Chillin....

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 19:26
Jobs

Like fighting bouncer, I work in a mill. We work the other end though, finishing composite and conventional plywood for wholesalers. Our major customers include Lowes, Schrock, Weyerhauser and others. My job is to grade the finish and quality of the panels after they are finished, I also do other stuff around the mill as needed. It's kind of a neat process, and the pay is fairly good (although i wouldn't hesitate to go to G.P. if they offered). All in all it pays for the house, the Jeep, and of course, my motorcycle. cruzerjd
debbielm1

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 20:11

I am a LNA (licensed nurses aide) for an elderly and dementia care facility. Married 27 years. Three children. Two grandsons.

82 KZ750 Spectre in recovery!
Sandy
Postaholic

Mood: Lose an O

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 20:35

I drink Budweiser.
Oops...I thought the subject was,"what do you drink?" ;):D;)
I'm a contract floor-layer.I do residential and commercial flooring af all types.
The more popular flooring seems to be the laminate...very nice and, very durable.
I was into meachanics when I started laying floors...About 13 years ago.
I was helping a Friend do floors in My spare time,and slowly got out of mechanics and into the floor laying trade.
I like it... most days.:)
I love the fact that I do something different every week!:D
I also get a charge out of My customers responses, when They view the finished product...self-satisfaction! (most of the time).
Some people are so damn stuffy,You have to kill-em-with -kindness!:o...heh heh heh.
And I DO drink Budweiser!:D...part of the qualifications for the trade!:cool:
Great subject idea Revs!
Have a good one Gang!:D

I've always wondered...How DO They get the deer to cross the highway,at the SIGN?!!

1977 kz 1000A-1
mahoneyms

Mood: Hair by Helmet

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 20:51

I returned to university in '99 to complete my Ph.D in psychology (yes, I play with people's minds for a living) :D. I'll be done soon!!!! I also teach/tutor statistics p/t.

Had completed my Master's in psych in '90 and spent all those years working in a treatment center for incarcerated offenders - my area of speciality - violence :o. Yep, worked with rapists, murderers, abusers, etc. Loved it (my friends think I'm wierd too), but wanted a new challenge, & school was a good option.

Married over 9 years, 18-year old inherited daughter (who will rule the world one day) :o. No pets - but a neighborhood cat has recently adopted my yard as his/her home, so I may have one on the way!

84 550 LTD Shaft - needs TLC
85 Honda 700 Nighthawk S
81 Yamaha 250
47.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.
roluje

Mood: Ready to Ride.

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 22:18

I'm a Group Leader/Sr. Systems Engineer at a multi-state financial institution. My group facilitates all new system development for Unix Servers, Intel Servers (MS and Linux), and the Desktop environment. about 4500 desktops, 150 unix servers, 200 intel servers.
I'm 35, wife, 5 yr old daughter (dancer/cheerleader) and 2 cats. Bought my 81 650 CSR in June and loving the great following these bikes have.

Ron
CrazyKawy

Mood: Need, not want

[*] posted on 14-8-2003 at 00:34

Ok this might be a little to much for some of you but I am in the food preperation and a cooker of fine foods, lol. I work part time at Kentucky Fried Chicken as a cashier/basic slave and also cook and make all that chicken you eat a few times out of the week, hahaha. Oh almost forgot also go to school just takin general ed. right now till I kinda figure out what I want to be and go after. (I have no clue):P

1984 KZ700(bored 750) My Baby!
1976 Suzuki TC185
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member CrazyKawy's Aim
mayday

[*] posted on 14-8-2003 at 07:03

I'm a CMA (Certified Management Accountant) and work as the Controller for the Mazda dealership in Regina, Sask., Canada. I also have a home accounting/tax prep. business.

Married 10 years today! Have two children, daughter 6 and son 4, no pets.

1981 750 LTD
2001 Honda Sabre 1100
 Pages:  1  2  3  4  5

Go To Top