Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 05 May 2024 22:23 #898537

• david richard
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
hi rolf i put those on my z1r about 4 years ago and the back tyre lasted about 1000 miles 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rolf1976_KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 06 May 2024 04:18 #898538

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1042
Yes, there was a photo.  Not sure why it disappeared but here it is again...

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rolf1976_KZ900

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 06 May 2024 08:48 #898546

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1890

Yes, there was a photo.  Not sure why it disappeared but here it is again...

HRM how about a BOTM feature on that beauty ?

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 06 May 2024 10:48 #898553

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • Rolf1976_KZ900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 129
Very nice bike! Thanks for sharing pick Why is there no kickstarter ? when looking at the tires i think i will install the gold seals .Did you also get super low milage on them?

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 06 May 2024 18:46 #898578

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member

Very nice bike! Thanks for sharing pick Why is there no kickstarter ? when looking at the tires i think i will install the gold seals .Did you also get super low milage on them?
It had no kickstarter when I bought it, but the bike was a mess.  I stripped it down and rebuilt it completely.  I put a new kickstarter in it and when I started the bike up it sounded like two gears were skipping over each other.  So I pulled everything apart, checked and re-did the engine.  Same result upon startup.  I pulled the engine apart 5 times before I finally found what was causing the problem.  The PO had installed a close ratio transmission, and the kick start gear was barely touching its mate gear.  That's when I realized why the bike had no kick starter when I bought it.  Anyway, I rode it like that for a year and then pulled it apart again and replaced the tranny with a stock one.  I still have the close ratio tranny somewhere in my shop but I sold the bike to a friend.

The bike below is the one I have right now.  I don't put a lot of miles on my Z1's so I can't say I've worn a set of tires out.  My memory from a Z1B I owned back in the day was around 6,000 miles on a rear tire.  Wookie, I'll look to see if I have photos of that bike for BOTM.  I don't have the bike anymore though.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, Rolf1976_KZ900

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 06 May 2024 18:55 #898580

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 518

Any interest in getting rid of it?  I have the Andrews kick start gear but no close-ratio tranny.  :)
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 07 May 2024 00:23 #898584

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • Rolf1976_KZ900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 129
hardrokcminer:  The bike you got now also looks nice ! splitting engine 5 times sounds fun .I once had to split an rebuilt engine 3 times that was fun to first time was because i forgot to check that the output transmission bearing little dowelpin was in place .Then split it and found that it was in place .Then when bolting engine together again the  last bolt snapped off inside the oposite case .so then i had to take it apart again.What was wrong the third time i dont remember right now why.

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 07 May 2024 04:04 #898595

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member

Any interest in getting rid of it?  I have the Andrews kick start gear but no close-ratio tranny.  :)
I don't need it, so yes.  It revs about 500 rpm higher in fifth at highway speed.  I have the ratios somewhere if you're interested.  

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 07 May 2024 06:23 #898604

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 518

I don't need it, so yes.  It revs about 500 rpm higher in fifth at highway speed.  I have the ratios somewhere if you're interested.  

Yeah, I'm interested. Since the PM system is busted, maybe one of the mods could share our email addresses?

I have the ratios for both stock and close ratio. The most obvious difference is that first gear is pretty tall. I guess you don't use first great much on a race track. :)
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 07 May 2024 06:30 #898605

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1890

Yeah, I'm interested. Since the PM system is busted, maybe one of the mods could share our email addresses?

I have the ratios for both stock and close ratio. The most obvious difference is that first gear is pretty tall. I guess you don't use first great much on a race track. :)
Mail sent 

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 07 May 2024 16:24 #898673

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
I'll keep an eye out for your email.  Yes, 1st gear was tall.  I could stay in first up to 30 mph.

• Page: